Never heard this story before | The Boneyard

Never heard this story before

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from Stefanie (in Richard Deitsch's SI Story):

UConn senior center Stefanie Dolson, like everyone who has played for Geno Auriemma, has a favorite story to tell about her coach, and she told hers with relish on the afternoon before Connecticut won its record ninth title in women's basketball. During an early-season practice her freshman year in 2010, Dolson grabbed a rebound during a drill and suddenly heard Auriemma barking for practice to stop. The coach charged out to the middle of the court toward Dolson, who was still months away from a health and fitness regime that reshaped her body and changed the direction of her basketball career.

"He took out a piece of paper and put it on the floor and said, 'You just jumped over that to get the rebound," Dolson said. "At the time I was thinking 'Dang, man!' It was blunt and I was little thrown off. At the same time, Coach has a way of throwing in humor to get you to laugh things off. But I remember what the message meant and I grew from that moment. I started thinking, 'Okay, I am not the best rebounder and I can't jump that high but I am going to work to a point where I am now with my body."'

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...-geno-auriemma-stefanie-dolson/#ixzz2yQfbaMqG

Reaction Score
Interesting that UConn women winning the 2 of the last 4 championships "is bad for the game," but not one peep about the men doing the exact same thing over the last 4 years with a round of NCAA sanctions in between. Talk about a double standard. Why can't it just be that UConn is on a level unlike any other school? Isn't the simplest explanation usually the most likely?

Reaction Score
Interesting that UConn women winning the 2 of the last 4 championships "is bad for the game," but not one peep about the men doing the exact same thing over the last 4 years with a round of NCAA sanctions in between. Talk about a double standard. Why can't it just be that UConn is on a level unlike any other school? Isn't the simplest explanation usually the most likely?
Not sure what you mean - I have heard all day in the media that UCONN is the basketball capitol of the world because of both the men and women.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well the women have won nine of them. The lack of that sentiment in the men's game is simply a result of there being far more parity in the men's game. A #7 seed outplayed everyone, including 3 of the favorites, to win a NC. The women's game isn't remotely close to that point yet.

Note, I don't think UCONN's success is bad for the women's game in the least.

Reaction Score
Particularly interesting story considering the transformation Stef has made as a rebounder. To go from where's she was a freshman to where she was this season launching herself into the air to grab boards just doesn't happen. Her rebounding improvement just from just her junior season to her season is something that I can't remember seeing often,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom