OT: - Never forget - 9/11 | The Boneyard

OT: Never forget - 9/11

Reaction Score
Never OT. In this case and forever, basketball is off topic.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget watching the buildings burn from my rooftop downtown. I was laid off the day before and was feeling really sorry for myself when it literally all went down. Perspective is a powerful tonic, my friends.

Reaction Score
I was there as well. Had a meeting scheduled for 9 at Marriott at WTC, but made a last minute for 8 in Jersey City w guy who had 9 at Cantor on top of WTC.. Meeting ran late, and we walked out to get boat to WTC when it all took place. Decided against going to WTC. We have a drink every year today.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
My uncle was a member of one of the ladders that was in the middle of everything that day. He made it out alive thank god, but is forever changed because of that day. Never Forget all those who lost others and the brave ones who responded.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how the worst attack on our country's land has faded in so many circles after 18 years
Prayers and thoughts to all those who lost loved ones on that awful day
Yeah but it changed our way of life perhaps forever. Can't get to the airport last minute (not to mention the restrictions on what you can take on board), TSA is practically a small army, our police forces are now militarized, metal detectors everywhere, increased surveillance of phone calls, emails etc.., bank accounts and transactions monitored, immigration restrictions (i.e. VISA/Passport issuance), All Muslims are now considered bad people and in some people create heightened anxiety when in their presence, touring public places is now subject to personal inspection, (even movie theaters/stadiums/concert venues they inspect pockebooks), street cameras are everywhere able to track every movement we make, etc. Not paranoia but reality.

I worked downtown in NYC for 20 years and left a year before the attack. Was shocked when I went into Grand Central Station a year or so after the attack and saw our military patrolling the Station with machine guns at the ready.

Just saying the freedoms many of us experienced prior to 911 are now history. Sure we've adjusted, but only because we were forced to. Not trying to sound selfish, but as an older American (pre-911), its one of the reasons why I'll never forget. I knew people who died and who lost loved ones.

Lastly I bet practically every American knows not only where they were when the attacks happened but what they were doing at the time (and who they were with). Not sure how many other eventful days in our life where we can essentially 'feel' the moment again. That alone indicates the magnitude of that very day.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I was a volunteer EMT in NJ. I was holding a staff meeting in Rahway when people came in and said planes had hit the WTC in a terrorist attack. I sent everyone home and went to my police headquarters to await orders from NJ EMS. Ultimately took two ambulances to the Summit train station and deconned hundreds of people as they came off the train. I was never so thankful for the presence of the Priests, Rabbis and Ministers that helped us as I was that day. They had more answers than I did!

Reaction Score
Doing the best I can on my part to educate the public about the difference between religion and murderers.

Drove by it the day before and somehow was standing right across the street from a still smoldering wreck a week later. Insane world we are in.

Reaction Score
My son was 6 months old on 9/11/01. I just dropped him off at college a couple of weeks ago. 18 years flies by. I was at my in-laws in Utica and we decided we just needed to be home in CT. Packed up and left. Listened to a crackly WABC 880 from NY. Finally just turned it off and drove. Wife and I kind of knew that my son's world was going to be different.

My parents were in NJ at my brothers place on 9/11/01. They were going to take the train in with my brother on his way to work and go up to the top of the World Trade Center for breakfast. My dad had a tickle in his throat and they decided that they would do it the next day. The thought of what could have been still gives me chills. I remember the call from my brother and the relief I had. I can only think of those who didn't get their call.

Reaction Score
I'm friends with a first responder who was very early on the scene. Unfortunately, he (and many others) are struggling right now with breathing issues from the fallout there that day. Horrible reminder and result of something still hurting folks all these years later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm friends with a first responded who was very early on the scene. Unfortunately, he (and many others) are struggling right now with breathing issues from the fallout there that day. Horrible reminder and result of something still hurting folks all these years later.
They had stuff on tv this morning about schools in the area with kids also getting rare cancers. Just from being in the vicinity.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget watching the buildings burn from my rooftop downtown. I was laid off the day before and was feeling really sorry for myself when it literally all went down. Perspective is a powerful tonic, my friends.
I was across the river in Jersey. Got a call from my folks (was expecting it to be a call wishing me a happy birthday) to turn the TV on, it was after the first plane hit and people were calling it an accident. My former fbi uncle was also across the river in Jersey City in his office looking at the towers and he told my folks right away it's terrorism...Shortly thereafter the second plane hit.

I went up on the rooftop of my building with some other people and we watched WTC smoke for a while and then boom, the first building collapses. One of the most surreal experiences ever. Both my brothers were down there and I couldn't get in touch with them, nobody could contact their loved ones. Turns out one brother was in Midtown far away, the other brother was covered in ash and saw some horrible things that day. To this day he won't talk about it. My friend wasn't as lucky, his older brother worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and died.

Our country fundamentally changed that day.
Some don't like to admit it but the terrorists won, our country has never come close to recovering from those horrors.

Reaction Score
I was in the towers that morning about 35 minutes before the first plane hit...had a front row seat to everything from my office across the street...truly a heartbreaking day...my heart sinks every time I think about it and it took me over a decade before I could travel downtown again...very traumatic and heart breaking...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First cousins (brother and sister) just entered lobby of WTC when first plane hit.

Son’s babysitter had an art assignment on floor 102. She was making preliminary drawings, remembered she left a book in her car. Was at her car when plane struck.

Young girl from our town was fired day before from Cantor Fitzgerald. Person who got her the job was on vacation but went to WTC to advocate for her. He was in the office of Cantor Fitzgerald when plane struck and perished.

Horrible tragedy. Grateful people avoided the horror. Saddened for those who didn’t.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was in the towers that morning about 35 minutes before the first plane hit...had a front row seat to everything from my office across the street...truly a heartbreaking day...my heart sinks every time I think about it and it took me over a decade before I could travel downtown again...very traumatic and heart breaking...
My heart goes out to you.

Reaction Score
If you haven’t seen it, there’s a documentary by these 2 French guys, the Naudet brothers, who were making a film on the NYFD when 9/11 happened and were with them in the buildings while it was all going down. Crazy footage.

Jim

Reaction Score
A few months before September, I put in a request to attend a conference similar to the ones I had attended in the past, but due to some belt tightening my request was denied. I was bummed at the time, but I later found how fortunate I was. The conference was hosted at the Windows on the World restaurant, at the top of the north tower, on 9/11. No one who attended the conference survived. Crazy how seeming bad things can turn out to be good things with enough perspective. (For me, that is. Not the poor souls who perished.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom