Net rankings. | The Boneyard

Net rankings.

Reaction Score
I am just amazed how through the RPI stats show uconn on top of all the schools. And the recent Net has uconn 2nd in latest rankings. But yet all won't publicly give them thier credit. And LSU got blown out and they beat us by 4. And they praised LSU. And SC, who if the right call were called they would have lost. Any thoughts. This is just my opinion. And also that that we can agree to disagree from some oof you. We are adults.
Screenshot_20230213-114600_Chrome.jpg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am not positive, but I believe the week 14 Coaches Poll will be out tomorrow.

Reaction Score
There are so many factors involved, and the weekly polls to me more reflect your recent results. Lose a game, slip a few spots, others lose, move up a few spots.

Then there is the committee evaluation that looks at the entire seasons body of work and tweaks things based on if a team has been consistently good to end the year, apply injury issues to losses, etc.

You have teams like LSU that are an enigma based on the schedule. You have teams like Uconn that are an enigma with injuries. Consider this, a hypothetical world where Azzi doesn’t return. Do you throw away UConn’s wins with Azzi when evaluating, since that technically was a very different team? Without Azzi, we’re 0-2 vs top 10 teams, 4-0 against teams 20-30, 2-1 against teams 40-50, and 8-0 against teams 50+. All using Massey ratings. The math to that is 6-3 against top 50 teams. Does that make this current iteration of the team more like a 3 seed? So many what if scenarios to make you spin yourself dizzy.

But fun to daydream about for some! Currently, I think we need to take it game by game, try to get healthy, and take care of the business in the big east. The polls don’t have any impact on that just yet.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am just amazed how through the RPI stats show uconn on top of all the schools. And the recent Net has uconn 2nd in latest rankings. But yet all won't publicly give them thier credit. And LSU got blown out and they beat us by 4. And they praised LSU. And SC, who if the right call were called they would have lost. Any thoughts. This is just my opinion. And also that that we can agree to disagree from some oof you. We are adults. View attachment 84070
Also, your AP poll does not seem to be the poll released today.

Reaction Score
Also, your AP poll does not seem to be the poll released today.
They were the latest this morning, but the new came out and uconn at 6. But who are the AP. I am at a point to take them with a grain of salt. But the RPI is so much closer to the truth. And again no mention of it. So long AP.

Reaction Score
The AP poll is basically a bunch of sportswriters/broadcasters guessing how teams compare to other teams. I’m sure there’s some bias based on how high some teams get ranked with really zero justification (e.g., LSU), but the good news is that the AP poll has zero impact on the NCAA tournament seeding.

Instead, they use the NET as one of their tools for evaluating teams. They also use strength of schedule (SOS), so that could end up hurting LSU even more if they don’t have a spectacular end to their season. There are a lot of other factors, too, so it might be worth taking a look at all of them.

NCAA Evaluation Tool to replace RPI as team sorting tool for women's college basketball

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
They were the latest this morning, but the new came out and uconn at 6. But who are the AP. I am at a point to take them with a grain of salt. But the RPI is so much closer to the truth. And again no mention of it. So long AP.
The polls largely work exactly the way @Rb335 said so succinctly. UConn lost to Marquette in the period in question, while Stanford pounded a ranked team, Indiana beat highly ranked Iowa, etc. One could argue with LSU ahead of Connecticut I suppose, but things like wins, losses etc. are more impactful on polls than metrics.

The RPI is a flawed metric, which is why the committee turned to the NET as a primary guide. It is strongly impacted by UConn's exemplary strength of schedule in the OOC.

All that matters is the committee's evaluation when the time comes. I see no reason if UConn wins out that they will not be one of the four #1 seeds, if South Carolina wins out they will get the top spot, but the other spots are in play. Their upcoming "reveal" should be interesting.

Reaction Score
The AP poll is basically a bunch of sportswriters/broadcasters guessing how teams compare to other teams. I’m sure there’s some bias based on how high some teams get ranked with really zero justification (e.g., LSU), but the good news is that the AP poll has zero impact on the NCAA tournament seeding.

Instead, they use the NET as one of their tools for evaluating teams. They also use strength of schedule (SOS), so that could end up hurting LSU even more if they don’t have a spectacular end to their season. There are a lot of other factors, too, so it might be worth taking a look at all of them.

NCAA Evaluation Tool to replace RPI as team sorting tool for women's college basketball
Thank you for the share. Will definitely agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom