Nepotism? | The Boneyard

Nepotism?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, with Crislynn Carr transferring from Texas Tech, former Big12 Freshman of the year to Baylor, I got to thinking about some interesting stats:
Player A's career 63 g 709 min, 27.5% FG, 24% 3pt, 73% FT, 93 Reb, 65 Assist, 52 Turnovers, 32 steals, 15 blocks, 138 points
Player B's career 63 g 2,100 min 39.2% FG, 32.9% 3 pt, 77% FT, 254 Reb, 264 assists, 223 T/Os, 96 steals, 1 block, 966 points.
Player A has started 11 of the 13 games this year for Tech, while Player B started 5.

What's the issue-
Player A is Bryn Gerlich
Player B is Crislynn Carr

The new coach of the Red Raiders is....Krista Gerlich, YES, Bryn's mom. So why is Bryn who is clearly NOT a good player compared to many others on this roster and in particular in comparison to Ms. Carr starting??? What caused Ms. Carr to transfer?

To me, having watched 5 of the Tech games, I have no idea why any coach would have a slow, poor shooting, low scoring guard playing over others on the bench unless, of course, that player is the Coach's daughter....

Color me cynical but as Shakespeare once said, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"....

So yes, @Plebe and @nwhoopfan, I have still hate that same school but a different coach! Aaarrrggghhh.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So yes, @Plebe and @nwhoopfan, I have still hate that same school but a different coach! Aaarrrggghhh.
Ha ha. Yeah, sometimes it's the school for me, sometimes it's the coach, and sometimes it's both!

In a cutthroat business like coaching, nepotism doesn't serve you very well. I would think winning games would be more important than giving an unfair advantage to your kid. I can't think of many examples where players have been given PT when they clearly didn't deserve it because of who their parent was.

Now coaching, that's a different story...:rolleyes: Bobby Knight and Pat Summit's kids come to mind.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What about when a prized recruit drags a parent along to join the staff as an assistant coach? Is that like reverse nepotism or something? Cuz that definitely happens, and seems completely ridiculous. On rare occasions there's a legit D1 level coach who has a legit D1 level son or daughter who plays.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What about when a prized recruit drags a parent along to join the staff as an assistant coach? Is that like reverse nepotism or something? Cuz that definitely happens, and seems completely ridiculous. On rare occasions there's a legit D1 level coach who has a legit D1 level son or daughter who plays.
This thing with Dads and AAU coaches signing on as college assistant to secure a recruit, used to happen a lot more. Then the NCAA changed the rule so that an assistant coach must be in place at least one year before the kid arrives. Two famous cases are Kelsey Mitchell whose dad Mark sign on with tOSU to ensure that his daughter could launch as many shots as she wanted & Christianna Carr whose father Chris signed on to Kansas State to pretty much ensure the same thing for his daughter. Sad because both girls were talented enough to play just about anywhere they wanted and would have been immensely better developed as basketball players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This thing with Dads and AAU coaches signing on as college assistant to secure a recruit, used to happen a lot more. Then the NCAA changed the rule so that an assistant coach must be in place at least one year before the kid arrives. Two famous cases are Kelsey Mitchell whose dad Mark sign on with tOSU to ensure that his daughter could launch as many shots as she wanted & Christianna Carr whose father Chris signed on to Kansas State to pretty much ensure the same thing for his daughter. Sad because both girls were talented enough to play just about anywhere they wanted and would have been immensely better developed as basketball players.
I think Mark signed on with tOSU to ensure Kelsey's younger sister got a full ride somewhere....which also happened to be at tOSU and then as soon as Kelsey left, Mark left....One would argue that Kelsey elevated tOSU to a higher ranking due to her hoisting all those shots and that at least Mitchell the younger did not get any playing time. Whereas Bryn Gerlich is being played significantly more than her stats would or should warrant and is hurting the team. Her defense is also brutal...SMH..

Reaction Score
Carr only played 4 games this year but started all 4 and played 33, 34, 37, 34 minutes. Due to that heavy MPG I don't see how Gerlich's MPG are coming at Carr's expense. Most of their recent games its Gerlich playing a lot but Carr had already left the program

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom