Nelson: 2013 oozes the 'it' factor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nelson: 2013 oozes the 'it' factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I personally thought that Dolson looked better at the end of last season than any time in her career.

Yes, and she was UConn's best player in the semi-final loss to ND.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
IMO, these services should rate them based on their performance and talent in high school, not potential, because the potential under Geno may be considerably than potential under any other coach. So Geno may take the number 25 ranked player and turn her into the number 10 player in college, yet Freese, for example, may take the number 10 player in high school and develop her into no more than the number 25 player in college. I am not picking on Freese, just using her for an example since I know she is not very highly regarded on the BY.

If these services don't try to evaluate potential, no college coach that is any good should pay much attention to them. Anyone who watches a lot of basketball can rate HS players based on performance, but it takes much more ability of observation to evaluate potential.

Reaction Score
That may well be so, but they are not there yet according to Hoopgurlz most recent update.
Perhaps HoopGurls was chastened by their over-the-top ratings for so many of those 2007 kids that the ratings have come down a bit. I'm not buying this ""it" factor thing for the 2013 class, although I'll accept the "ooze" part.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
On another note, is there a more fundamentally unpleasant word in the English language than "oozes"?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On another note, is there a more fundamentally unpleasant word in the English language than "oozes"?
If so, not many. The word suggests that a very strong antibiotic is needed.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Every recruiting service has players with ranking outliers compared to the other services--it's not just HG.

As for players who came to UConn who where overranked? The first one that comes to mind is Strother, Ann.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Every recruiting service has players with ranking outliers compared to the other services--it's not just HG.

As for players who came to UConn who where overranked? The first one that comes to mind is Strother, Ann.
If she was over ranked, why did everyone want her so badly?

U

UCONNfan1

If she was over ranked, why did everyone want her so badly?
i don't disagree that she was not nearly as good as Siemone Augustus, who was the #1 or 2 player in the class coming out of HS, as well as Cappie Pondexter, Mo Currie, Sophia Young and Candice Dupree. i'd say she probably should have been about 10th in her class. but she had a great career at UCONN and scored a ton of points. you just couldn't build a team around her, like you could around Diana or Maya or Tina or Elena or Bria or KML or ... you get my point...

where do you ultimately rank someone like Jackie Stiles, who was a monster in college, set the all time scoring record, but was pretty much a bust professionally (even tho she won ROY her first season). Injuries and surgeries took their toll.

my point is, Ann had a really good college career. She played for 2 years with Diana but after that, never had a super-star calibur type on her team her last 2 years. so i'd say she was indeed ranked too high coming out of HS. but it's not like she was Shalon Pillow or Ashley Robinson.

Reaction Score
Not a bad entrant, but there's an onomatopoeia factor with "oozes" that keeps it the leader in the clubhouse for me.
Scusi, but oozes describes it, Uzi causes it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't think you can call Stiles a "bust," much like you can't call Shea Ralph or Jackie Gemelos a "bust." Injuries ruined what were all extremely promising careers. Stiles proved she could compete in the WNBA by winning the ROY in her first year (even if you think Bird was more deserving, Stiles still had a very successful first season). Then she just had injury after injury.

On another note, just because everyone wanted Strother coming out of HS, doesn't mean she wasn't overrated. I agree she had a very good college career, but she was never all american caliber. when you're ranked #1/#2 coming out of HS, that is what is expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom