Need to verify a Geno quote.... | The Boneyard

Need to verify a Geno quote....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I have heard several times the Geno quote "She (Moriah) looks like she escaped the 8th grade to play with us" When can I find this quote? I collect Geno quotes....LOL

Thanks

Reaction Score
I think the quote originated on the SNY Preview Sshow (11-7-2012). Geno was describing Moriah by stating -- One of the Middle School teachers in Connecticut came over and asked, why we're letting one of the Middle School players, play on our team. "She's about 110 pounds and looks like she escaped from the 8th grade and came over to play for us."

Reaction Score
I hope that at some point this season you will share some of your collection of Geno quotes. Is that possible.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Here ya go Maine Fan!

GENO QUOTES
"We missed seven layups in the first half, `like we should take your scholarship away' type of missed layups, we were up 11, if we hit those, and we're up 25." (vs Louisville)

"Maya is just an aggressive individual. She worked her butt off to get that ONE rebound tonight”(vs. WVU)

….. Just imagine the confidence level she's going to have the first time she hits the rim on a jump shot."(vs. Cincinnati) (On Lorin starting at point in first game after Mel Thomas injury)

"Lorin gets a lot of abuse at our practices and it usually doesn't come from me because I don't talk to her at practice," Auriemma said. "She doesn't know any of our plays; she doesn't know anything about what we do. It's like [the] Amish, you know? [We shun her]."

"We talked about it yesterday. I said, 'At 11 tomorrow night you are going to be exhausted and you can either be exhausted as Big East champions or you can be exhausted as slugs. “Geno at press conference on what he told them Sunday after arriving from Chicago at 3am

“If I was coaching Cornell ... they could probably take some comfort knowing all of my post players couldn't get into Cornell,”Auriemma said from the podium Saturday afternoon, on the eve of UConn's NCAA Tournament Greensboro Regional opener. Assoc. HC Chris Daily quipped “Neither could HE!”

"I'm not one of those people that get upset about who you get in recruiting," Auriemma said. "I don't go running to the NCAA if you get a player and we don't get her." When asked if Rutgers recruiting has hurting UConn

"My bedside manner is that when that wound is open that’s the best time to pour some gasoline in there and light a match.’’ About the team meeting after losing in the NCAA Tournament

"The one thing that we get a kick out of, all of us, is that whenever we have these parades," he said, "the doctor's offices in Tennessee are filled with people who get sick."UConn Victory Parade rally 2009

“Giving Shuey (Kelly Schumacher ) the ball in the low post is like giving a 4 year old a hand grenade, something bad is going to happen”on the early development of Kelly Schumacher during CPTV’s Geno Show

“We don’t call it ball handling. We call it grenade handling” CPTV Geno show when asked the recent poor ball handling

"This is the only place in America where you have to apologize for being up 14 at the half." On WTIC 1/5/2010 Talking about how fans become concerned when the team isn’t way ahead by half time.

"Maya's becoming a well-rounded person. She sings, juggles, plays the drums and is even learning how to switch on defense."Geno Auriemma after Maya and Kaili sang the National Anthem as a present to the seniors on Senior Night 28 Feb 2009

"You can tell she's a young coach because she likes her team," Auriemma said. "Most young coaches do. It's like parents who love their newborns. Give them seven or eight years." October 21, 2009 John Altavilla column

"She[Meghan Gardler] used to be No. 14 or something like that," Auriemma said. "Nobody changed it. You can't come to New Jersey without something stupid happening, so that was our contribution today."Following a Technical foul when Gardler was listed as #14 instead of #22 and the officials were not notified before the game.

"We have a new defensive philosophy. I just yell at them a lot….. I'll phrase it the other way; we've practiced for a month and a half and we spend two and a half hours practicing offense every day in practice. I've learned over the years that offense takes a long time to learn and get good at. There's timing involved and the ball is involved; there's just a lot of variables. We've worked a little bit on it, but as the season goes on we're going to get better defensively. Right now our defensive philosophy is that I just yell at them a lot and they try their best to do what I tell them. We're not there yet, but we're going to be there."Auriemma on the Huskies holding Purdue to 55 points and 34.4 percent shooting

"She still looked like Evel Knievel flying over 15 cars on one layup," Geno talking about Ashley Battle at the Duke game.

"I know my wife was at the game. It might have been her." When asked about how fans were chanting the obligatory "Overrated" at the Huskies late in the game

"That's all I need," Auriemma said with a laugh. "I can't even think of us as No. 1 right now. If that happened, I was thinking of going to the Vince Lombardi drive-through (rest area) to commit suicide. I'd be one of those guys you find dead in the car."After learning that both LSU and Duke were losing - he was driving to New Jersey

"We won the game because we have Diana and nobody else does," Auriemma said. "Our press offense would be really good if D could inbound the ball to herself." After a Rutgers-UConn game

“You weren't ready to win a game like this and that was OK with me”"D was ready to rip my face off," he said. "The look in her eyes, the look on her face. She was like, `Come on, man, this guy's nuts, we're winning this game.' And she took over."Post Game press conference Jan. 4, 2003.What he said to the team with 3:41 to go in the game with UConn losing to Tennessee.

"Don’t you think they make me look particularly smug”Geno, commenting on his new glasses during the pregame show

"The first team that gets to 100 wins"Geno, commenting on WAC and PAC 10 teams.

"See this girl, Sue Bird; she thinks you’re hot 'cause instead of watching the game she was watching you."Geno, yelling at a passing student walking through Gampel during a practice which wasn't going the way Geno wanted.

“I said, `Let’s change our defense. Let’s go from not guarding them to guarding them,’’ he said. “At one point I asked them, `Which defense should we be in? The one that gives them wide-open layups or the one that gives them open 3s? You choose. I’ll leave it completely up to you.’ They just looked at me like, `Why do you have to call timeout and we come over here and listen to this (garbage)? Why don’t you tell us something constructive.’ Then I look up and they had 24 points at halftime. How can you complain about a defense that gives up 24 points in a half?’’ From Rich Elliott’s CT POST blog February 3, 2010 after beating #11 WVU

It’s Defense that wins championships….its offense that tells you by how much.”After beating Southern in the first round of the 2010 NCAA

“I get 2-3 days off and the National Team guys come in Sunday. Fortunately there are no games, just practices. And they’re really good. They’re not going to shoot 17 percent in the first half.’’Geno in which his UConn team shot 17% for the first half and scored only 12 points in the 2010 National Championship.

“We had three or four minutes of really good stuff happening. And the sun was shining. Appropriate that it was Easter weekend, somebody pulled the boulder from the cave and Maya [Moore] emerged.”Geno in the Hartford Courant 4/11/2010

"I met you mom and your dad, they are so nice. What? Where you adopted?"U.S. and UConn coach Geno Auriemma to Australian star Lauren Jackson before the U.S./Australia scrimmage on Sunday.

“She (Bria Hartley) knows the coaches have a lot of confidence in her. So she walks around confident. Now some of that’s fake because she’s scared to death because I’ve already told her that Tiffany (Hayes) and Caroline (Doty) have never lost a college game so you better not screw this thing up. “ 10/26/2010 Rich Elliott CT Post Blog

“I’m not surprised that she’s (Samarie Walker) has never seen a 6’ 8” woman…..freakin’ Dayton, Ohio…..there’s a lot of thing she hasn’t seen…I’m gonna show her something by the end of the year” vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference

"There was a LOT of fouls...there was a LOT of DAMN fouls called today! Man oh man! They're like protecting her... the big kid...she's 6'8, she doesn't need protecting....but when I had Kara Walters, I said, 'just cause she's 6'8, doesn't mean she fouls all the time."vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference

"I think they knew that we were going to get a crap shot....they figured they didn't need a time out." vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference when asked why he thought Baylor used their last timeout instead of setting up a play

"Most of them don't even know what the LA in UCLA stands for." Geno on the pressure his players may be facing per John Altivilla Tweet

"We lose every day," Mr. Auriemma said. "We just don't lose when people are watching.”On tying UCLA men’s win streak record. Wall Street journal 12/20/2010

“This losing stuff is getting old, man; I hate it. I just wish we could catch a break every once in a while so these kids can have some success.” On losing to Stanford ending win streak - NYT article 12/31/2010

“It hurt me to take her [Kelly Faris] out today for a couple minutes to give her a breather. She’s usually like really pale, but then when she turned this color (holding up a piece of white paper) I figured I need to give her like minute or so.’’ Vs. Notre Dame – Rich Elliott article 1/8/2011

"Teaching your dog how to pee outside is fun…once he stops peeing on your rug," Auriemma said after practice. "But the more they keep peeing on your rug, that whole teaching thing ain't a whole lot of fun."Boston Globe 01/10/2011 on frustrating it is teaching 5 freshman WCBB.

“I have to apologize,’’ Auriemma said. “I did say that Kelly Faris would never play a bad game at Connecticut, and she was downright awful against North Carolina. I have to admit that. And I told her that too. I said, `And it’s your birthday too. How could you play that bad on your birthday?’ That’s what happens when you hit 20. It’s all downhill from there.’’ Rich Elliott, 1/21/2011

When Breanna Stewart stole the ball in the first half and dribbled the length of the court for an easy layup, Geno was overheard saying, "My shoes went out of style while I was waiting for her to shoot the ball!" Overheard at the Paradise Jam, 11/22/2012

"She's about 110 pounds and looks like she escaped from the 8th grade and came over to play for us." Pre-Season TV show on SNY, Oct, 2012 on the looks of Moriah Jefferson

“You have to figure how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; he gives you size, ability to shoot and pass and a large wingspan. But he forgets to put the brain matter in there.” Geno just after Breanna Stewart accepted the MVP of the Paradise Jam Tournament

“If Alyssa Thomas thinks that, that’s fine. I didn’t know that All-Americans turn the ball over eight times without someone helping them turn it over." Responding to a quote from a Maryland player saying UConn didn’t show them anything new. They (Maryland) just needed to hit their shots. Rich Elliot's blog 12/4/12

Reaction Score
Here ya go Maine Fan!

GENO QUOTES
"We missed seven layups in the first half, `like we should take your scholarship away' type of missed layups, we were up 11, if we hit those, and we're up 25." (vs Louisville)

"Maya is just an aggressive individual. She worked her butt off to get that ONE rebound tonight”(vs. WVU)

….. Just imagine the confidence level she's going to have the first time she hits the rim on a jump shot."(vs. Cincinnati) (On Lorin starting at point in first game after Mel Thomas injury)

"Lorin gets a lot of abuse at our practices and it usually doesn't come from me because I don't talk to her at practice," Auriemma said. "She doesn't know any of our plays; she doesn't know anything about what we do. It's like [the] Amish, you know? [We shun her]."

"We talked about it yesterday. I said, 'At 11 tomorrow night you are going to be exhausted and you can either be exhausted as Big East champions or you can be exhausted as slugs. “Geno at press conference on what he told them Sunday after arriving from Chicago at 3am

“If I was coaching Cornell ... they could probably take some comfort knowing all of my post players couldn't get into Cornell,”Auriemma said from the podium Saturday afternoon, on the eve of UConn's NCAA Tournament Greensboro Regional opener. Assoc. HC Chris Daily quipped “Neither could HE!”

"I'm not one of those people that get upset about who you get in recruiting," Auriemma said. "I don't go running to the NCAA if you get a player and we don't get her." When asked if Rutgers recruiting has hurting UConn

"My bedside manner is that when that wound is open that’s the best time to pour some gasoline in there and light a match.’’ About the team meeting after losing in the NCAA Tournament

"The one thing that we get a kick out of, all of us, is that whenever we have these parades," he said, "the doctor's offices in Tennessee are filled with people who get sick."UConn Victory Parade rally 2009

“Giving Shuey (Kelly Schumacher ) the ball in the low post is like giving a 4 year old a hand grenade, something bad is going to happen”on the early development of Kelly Schumacher during CPTV’s Geno Show

“We don’t call it ball handling. We call it grenade handling” CPTV Geno show when asked the recent poor ball handling

"This is the only place in America where you have to apologize for being up 14 at the half." On WTIC 1/5/2010 Talking about how fans become concerned when the team isn’t way ahead by half time.

"Maya's becoming a well-rounded person. She sings, juggles, plays the drums and is even learning how to switch on defense."Geno Auriemma after Maya and Kaili sang the National Anthem as a present to the seniors on Senior Night 28 Feb 2009

"You can tell she's a young coach because she likes her team," Auriemma said. "Most young coaches do. It's like parents who love their newborns. Give them seven or eight years." October 21, 2009 John Altavilla column

"She[Meghan Gardler] used to be No. 14 or something like that," Auriemma said. "Nobody changed it. You can't come to New Jersey without something stupid happening, so that was our contribution today."Following a Technical foul when Gardler was listed as #14 instead of #22 and the officials were not notified before the game.

"We have a new defensive philosophy. I just yell at them a lot….. I'll phrase it the other way; we've practiced for a month and a half and we spend two and a half hours practicing offense every day in practice. I've learned over the years that offense takes a long time to learn and get good at. There's timing involved and the ball is involved; there's just a lot of variables. We've worked a little bit on it, but as the season goes on we're going to get better defensively. Right now our defensive philosophy is that I just yell at them a lot and they try their best to do what I tell them. We're not there yet, but we're going to be there."Auriemma on the Huskies holding Purdue to 55 points and 34.4 percent shooting

"She still looked like Evel Knievel flying over 15 cars on one layup," Geno talking about Ashley Battle at the Duke game.

"I know my wife was at the game. It might have been her." When asked about how fans were chanting the obligatory "Overrated" at the Huskies late in the game

"That's all I need," Auriemma said with a laugh. "I can't even think of us as No. 1 right now. If that happened, I was thinking of going to the Vince Lombardi drive-through (rest area) to commit suicide. I'd be one of those guys you find dead in the car."After learning that both LSU and Duke were losing - he was driving to New Jersey

"We won the game because we have Diana and nobody else does," Auriemma said. "Our press offense would be really good if D could inbound the ball to herself." After a Rutgers-UConn game

“You weren't ready to win a game like this and that was OK with me”"D was ready to rip my face off," he said. "The look in her eyes, the look on her face. She was like, `Come on, man, this guy's nuts, we're winning this game.' And she took over."Post Game press conference Jan. 4, 2003.What he said to the team with 3:41 to go in the game with UConn losing to Tennessee.

"Don’t you think they make me look particularly smug”Geno, commenting on his new glasses during the pregame show

"The first team that gets to 100 wins"Geno, commenting on WAC and PAC 10 teams.

"See this girl, Sue Bird; she thinks you’re hot 'cause instead of watching the game she was watching you."Geno, yelling at a passing student walking through Gampel during a practice which wasn't going the way Geno wanted.

“I said, `Let’s change our defense. Let’s go from not guarding them to guarding them,’’ he said. “At one point I asked them, `Which defense should we be in? The one that gives them wide-open layups or the one that gives them open 3s? You choose. I’ll leave it completely up to you.’ They just looked at me like, `Why do you have to call timeout and we come over here and listen to this (garbage)? Why don’t you tell us something constructive.’ Then I look up and they had 24 points at halftime. How can you complain about a defense that gives up 24 points in a half?’’ From Rich Elliott’s CT POST blog February 3, 2010 after beating #11 WVU

It’s Defense that wins championships….its offense that tells you by how much.”After beating Southern in the first round of the 2010 NCAA

“I get 2-3 days off and the National Team guys come in Sunday. Fortunately there are no games, just practices. And they’re really good. They’re not going to shoot 17 percent in the first half.’’Geno in which his UConn team shot 17% for the first half and scored only 12 points in the 2010 National Championship.

“We had three or four minutes of really good stuff happening. And the sun was shining. Appropriate that it was Easter weekend, somebody pulled the boulder from the cave and Maya [Moore] emerged.”Geno in the Hartford Courant 4/11/2010

"I met you mom and your dad, they are so nice. What? Where you adopted?"U.S. and UConn coach Geno Auriemma to Australian star Lauren Jackson before the U.S./Australia scrimmage on Sunday.

“She (Bria Hartley) knows the coaches have a lot of confidence in her. So she walks around confident. Now some of that’s fake because she’s scared to death because I’ve already told her that Tiffany (Hayes) and Caroline (Doty) have never lost a college game so you better not screw this thing up. “ 10/26/2010 Rich Elliott CT Post Blog

“I’m not surprised that she’s (Samarie Walker) has never seen a 6’ 8” woman…..freakin’ Dayton, Ohio…..there’s a lot of thing she hasn’t seen…I’m gonna show her something by the end of the year” vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference

"There was a LOT of fouls...there was a LOT of DAMN fouls called today! Man oh man! They're like protecting her... the big kid...she's 6'8, she doesn't need protecting....but when I had Kara Walters, I said, 'just cause she's 6'8, doesn't mean she fouls all the time."vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference

"I think they knew that we were going to get a crap shot....they figured they didn't need a time out." vs. Baylor 11-16-2010 press conference when asked why he thought Baylor used their last timeout instead of setting up a play

"Most of them don't even know what the LA in UCLA stands for." Geno on the pressure his players may be facing per John Altivilla Tweet

"We lose every day," Mr. Auriemma said. "We just don't lose when people are watching.”On tying UCLA men’s win streak record. Wall Street journal 12/20/2010

“This losing stuff is getting old, man; I hate it. I just wish we could catch a break every once in a while so these kids can have some success.” On losing to Stanford ending win streak - NYT article 12/31/2010

“It hurt me to take her [Kelly Faris] out today for a couple minutes to give her a breather. She’s usually like really pale, but then when she turned this color (holding up a piece of white paper) I figured I need to give her like minute or so.’’ Vs. Notre Dame – Rich Elliott article 1/8/2011

"Teaching your dog how to pee outside is fun…once he stops peeing on your rug," Auriemma said after practice. "But the more they keep peeing on your rug, that whole teaching thing ain't a whole lot of fun."Boston Globe 01/10/2011 on frustrating it is teaching 5 freshman WCBB.

“I have to apologize,’’ Auriemma said. “I did say that Kelly Faris would never play a bad game at Connecticut, and she was downright awful against North Carolina. I have to admit that. And I told her that too. I said, `And it’s your birthday too. How could you play that bad on your birthday?’ That’s what happens when you hit 20. It’s all downhill from there.’’ Rich Elliott, 1/21/2011

When Breanna Stewart stole the ball in the first half and dribbled the length of the court for an easy layup, Geno was overheard saying, "My shoes went out of style while I was waiting for her to shoot the ball!" Overheard at the Paradise Jam, 11/22/2012

"She's about 110 pounds and looks like she escaped from the 8th grade and came over to play for us." Pre-Season TV show on SNY, Oct, 2012 on the looks of Moriah Jefferson

“You have to figure how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; he gives you size, ability to shoot and pass and a large wingspan. But he forgets to put the brain matter in there.” Geno just after Breanna Stewart accepted the MVP of the Paradise Jam Tournament

“If Alyssa Thomas thinks that, that’s fine. I didn’t know that All-Americans turn the ball over eight times without someone helping them turn it over." Responding to a quote from a Maryland player saying UConn didn’t show them anything new. They (Maryland) just needed to hit their shots. Rich Elliot's blog 12/4/12

Best post ever... that's our guy!

Reaction Score
Wow! Those a great. I can feel him in the room. A great collection. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom