Need More Proof Coaching Is The Key? | The Boneyard

Need More Proof Coaching Is The Key?

Reaction Score
Look what Les Miles has already done. The article on Myers gives details about how bad they're scholarship status is and how little revenue they generated from football last year............$4Million while basketball generated $15.9M. Miles will surely cover his salary and lots more if the BC game is an indication of how he'll do there.

Kansas thumps Boston College, snapping 48-game road losing streak to Power Five opponents

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Look what Les Miles has already done. The article on Myers gives details about how bad they're scholarship status is and how little revenue they generated from football last year..$4Million while basketball generated $15.9M. Miles will surely cover his salary and lots more if the BC game is an indication of how he'll do there.

Kansas thumps Boston College, snapping 48-game road losing streak to Power Five opponents

Couldn't have happened to a better school. I like Kansas overall and despise BCU, so this is good news.

Reaction Score
And to think back on the day that Diaco was fired and the threads on who maybe our next coach, people suggested Les Miles, and there were a lot of people that said it would be a terrible hire.

C

Chief00

Another example at the micro level is Spanos vs Cocker on defense. And Matt King on S&C.

Reaction Score
Coaching doesn’t matter said nobody, ever. But BC gagging in a game doesn’t exactly prove it.

Reaction Score
The point was Miles may be the poster boy for just how much coaching matters. Not simply that they won this one road game or split with two teams at home before playing BCU. Sure it's only the third game, but they won on the road at New England's Football University after splitting two home games with FBS powers from the MIssouri Valley and Sun Belt Conferences. Give Miles some credit for a good start and consider what he took on.

Read the article about the dire state of their roster, consider how awful they've been in football, including the Charlie Weis contract debacle, reflect on the fact that Miles was said to have taken the toughest job in football and has already won two games, and compare that to where we have been for nine years. There's people on this board that said two wins this year might be a big step up. As for Addazio overlooking them? Must mean Lovie's a better coach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They won one game after two awful performances at home. Settle down.

They beat BCU which is more than UConn has sadly.

A win is a win against the evil BCU and good for Kansas

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They beat BCU which is more than UConn has sadly.

A win is a win against the evil BCU and good for Kansas

i can only hope at some point people start to understand the variance of week to week results.

great win but it doesnt mean anything is fixed or turned around.

keep that in mind when you look at the illinois score

Reaction Score
And to think back on the day that Diaco was fired and the threads on who maybe our next coach, people suggested Les Miles, and there were a lot of people that said it would be a terrible hire.
Very true. I didn't then understand that point of view and still don't. Les Miles has always been a very good recruiter. I know if I was the AD I would have reached out to Les to see if he any interest.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
i can only hope at some point people start to understand the variance of week to week results.

Having said that, if folks didn't already realize that coaching matters after seeing the defense under Crocker and then under Spanos, well then there's no helping anyone...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bet a six pack on the game with a friend who went to BC. I even got 21 points. Guess I can pick out my beer.

I was concerned after KU was terrible last week. I believe that Miles really challenged them after that game. KU was good during my time, under Glen Mason. And won an orange Bowl with a top 10 finish in 2008. They haven’t always been awful.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Anything can happen any given Saturday and you should know that.

Reaction Score

We can only hope that applies to us in the reverse of last week's 2nd half. Any big swing upward will be a big ask for an inexperienced QB but we might as well get the ball rolling. I'll take one irrationally good performance this week to put us back over .500. Would be a good confidence builder.

Reaction Score

Lots of good reasons to like college sports versus professional

The development of 18-22 year old men is not always a step function. The grit & the depth of talent doesn’t always show when you’d like.

I think - for me - Illinois was surprising because so many superlative plays & effort emerged. I don’t remember much when last year we’d give up yards in big chunnks. It wasn’t a complete game. But it raised hope.

Will they build on that this week in Bloomington.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lots of good reasons to like college sports versus professional

The development of 18-22 year old men is not always a step function. The grit & the depth of talent doesn’t always show when you’d like.

I think - for me - Illinois was surprising because so many superlative plays & effort emerged. I don’t remember much when last year we’d give up yards in big chunnks. It wasn’t a complete game. But it raised hope.

Will they build on that this week in Bloomington.

they did some good stuff but Illinois and Wagner both stink out loud. so we’ll see what it meant.

Reaction Score
Wagner was an anxious nervous gangly kid. Lots of 3 and out for the D was the highlight.

Illinois? I’m thinking about 10 plays that we’re beyond recent. That has to be put in a complete game - with less fallout. And far better special teams. But ... you can leave last Saturday thinking about a better day.

We shall see

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wagner was an anxious nervous gangly kid. Lots of 3 and out for the D was the highlight.

Illinois? I’m thinking about 10 plays that we’re beyond recent. That has to be put in a complete game - with less fallout. And far better special teams. But ... you can leave last Saturday thinking about a better day.

We shall see

wagner has a high school level offense. thats why they lost to a d-II and scored 3 against stony brook since leaving the rent. you could see on the first drive they have no business scheduling FBS programs. unless there is a nec dreg worse they are going o-fer.

illinois might lose their last 9 by double digits. they certainly arent going to be favored in any of them.

they did some good stuff but against teams headed for maybe 2-20 against everyone else they play.

Reaction Score

Illinois is terrible but I'll never understand anyone thinking Les Miles wasn't a great hire for Kansas. It's Kansas football and they were able to get a great coach and great recruiter. It's the type of move we should have made somewhere along this journey of suck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom