OT: Need Book Recomendations, I'm stuck inside | The Boneyard

OT: Need Book Recomendations, I'm stuck inside

Reaction Score
Prefer fiction.

Just finished Grishams latest The Guardian. Read it in 3 days. Wished I didn't read the Follet trilogy, because would love to have it now.

Got a lot of time (and I'm sure many of you all too). Tired of computer gaming, computer work, etc.. Looking for books to sit for hours and escape.

I'm willing to read classic old novels.

Reaction Score
The Catcher in the rye. J D Salinger. A Classic.
An obsure choice is Padre Padrone by Giovanni Ledda. A true story about the son of a Sardinian shepard, with a brutal upbringing.

Reaction Score
Neal Stephenson’s ‘Cryptonomicon’ and all three volumes of his Baroque Cycle trilogy.
i’m actually in the middle of reading this right now. would never have expected to see it pop up on the yard.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brad Thor.

Vince Flynn covered the same territory and did it much, much better IMO.

Since OP mentioned the Follett trilogy and folks are gonna have a couple weeks of downtime, might I suggest the "Natchez Burning" trilogy from Greg Iles. First two are 800 pages, third is a measly 400. But I've enjoyed Iles ever since Spandau Phoenix years ago. Wonderful writer and he knows his Mississippi better than anyone since Faulkner (much more readable than Faulkner too). Took me about three weeks to get through it, but I was still working. Last week when I was laid up with my knee, I finished the last half of the second book and all of the third. It's basically about solving old hate crimes from the 60s with some major political assassinations thrown in. Quite the ride.

Since I love having an actual book but our libraries are shut down, I'd never used an ereader before now. Didn't realize the Kindle app would work on a regular laptop, but it does, which made reading much less painful.

Reaction Score
Prefer fiction.

Just finished Grishams latest The Guardian. Read it in 3 days. Wished I didn't read the Follet trilogy, because would love to have it now.

Got a lot of time (and I'm sure many of you all too). Tired of computer gaming, computer work, etc.. Looking for books to sit for hours and escape.

I'm willing to read classic old novels.
James Lee Burke is the author for you.

Reaction Score
It’s not fiction but Unbroken is the most amazing true story you will ever read.
Reads like it could have been fiction. What he went through is completely mind blowing.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Vince Flynn covered the same territory and did it much, much better IMO.

Since OP mentioned the Follett trilogy and folks are gonna have a couple weeks of downtime, might I suggest the "Natchez Burning" trilogy from Greg Iles. First two are 800 pages, third is a measly 400. But I've enjoyed Iles ever since Spandau Phoenix years ago. Wonderful writer and he knows his Mississippi better than anyone since Faulkner (much more readable than Faulkner too). Took me about three weeks to get through it, but I was still working. Last week when I was laid up with my knee, I finished the last half of the second book and all of the third. It's basically about solving old hate crimes from the 60s with some major political assassinations thrown in. Quite the ride.

Since I love having an actual book but our libraries are shut down, I'd never used an ereader before now. Didn't realize the Kindle app would work on a regular laptop, but it does, which made reading much less painful.

Ill have to check him out. Ive never been much of a reader but Thor caught my interest.

Reaction Score
Pompeii by Robert Harris
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought City of Thieves was a real page-turner. It was written by David Benioff who became one of the show runners for Game of Thrones after.

Reaction Score
The Magus by John Fowles. Read it some time ago, but had just gone though a long period when I had no time to read and picked it off the shelf of the bookstore before a week's vacation. Was a fantastic re-entry into books

Don't know if you've seen "The Game" a 1997 flick with Michael Douglas. The stories are different, but I have no doubt that the Magus served as inspiration for that movie.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Saving Capitalism: For the Many Not the Few
by Robert Reich

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Magus by John Fowles. Read it some time ago, but had just gone though a long period when I had no time to read and picked it off the shelf of the bookstore before a week's vacation. Was a fantastic re-entry into books

Don't know if you've seen "The Game" a 1997 flick with Michael Douglas. The stories are different, but I have no doubt that the Magus served as inspiration for that movie.

The Game is one of my all time favorite films.

Reaction Score
My dad hooked me on W.E.B Griffin a loooong time ago. A great writer of historical fiction. Lots of great series there (military, police, etc)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any book by David Baldacci. He's John D McDonald on steriods.
The Travis McGee series is the only one of this type I've ever read extensively. I've had no idea that Baldacci is anything like John D. MacDonald or any good. Thanks for this.

Reaction Score
Dumas classics that you can get online.

The Count of Monte Cristo
Three Musketeers

and the Flynn novels are very good. I do suggest trying to read them in order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom