OT: Need a good New Haven restaurant | The Boneyard

OT: Need a good New Haven restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate to create another one of these food threads, but I actually have a reason for this. My employees all work more-or-less remotely, and one in particular has been an absolute superstar lately, so we're looking for a way to show her how much we appreciate all of her hard work and dedication. My thought was for a $100 gift card to a restaurant in New Haven (where she lives), but I don't really know what's good in that area since I live in Boston. I'd like for $100 to cover a meal for two, more or less, if possible. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I like Bar Pizza, but not sure if you want something fancier than pizza. Your user name reminds me of this quote

Remember, Bruce! Fish are friends, not food!

Reaction Score
Prime 16 if its still around was a nice burger joint that offered craft beers and unique ingredients
Barcelona is a classy joint with an extensive wine collection if you think they're into that

Husky die-hard in Boston too here!

Reaction Score
You've got a list of good ones. For a 4-star experience that is remarkably reasonably priced, I would consider L'Oricio. Chic urban feel.

Tre Scalini, as well. A little more expensive, but terrific.

Both are Italian though. Urban League may be the best restaurant in the city but a little more costly.

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite restaurant in New Haven is Caseus. It's a little expensive but 100 would probably cover dinner for two.

Prime 16 is fantastic for beer and burgers; Bentara has awesome Malaysian food; L'Orcio, as others have said, has very good Italian; I love the mashed potato and bacon pizza at Bar.

Pacifico is another good place with fantastic tapas. Their duck quesadillas are awesome. Seriously. And half price bottles of wine on Sundays.

Reaction Score
Couple of others not mentioned...

Basta (awesome authentic Italian)
Geronimo's (great mexican fare; fabulous table-side guacamole)

Reaction Score
116 Crown hasn't been named yet. Great drinks and a cool vibe.

Reaction Score
Lot's of great choices in the Elm City.
Couple of others not mentioned...

Basta (awesome authentic Italian)
Geronimo's (great mexican fare; fabulous table-side guacamole)
and don't forget like 60 brands of tequila

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Isn't it the Union League Cafe?

Very nice restaurant. Fancy. (Some would call it "stuffy.")

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've eaten at all the places mentioned--most of them several times--and Union League Cafe would absolutely be my first choice if I wanted someone to feel special and appreciated. The service is impeccable, the food is excellent and the room is wonderful. $100 won't cover it if they are drinkers, but it will go a long way. I've been there dozens of times and never had anything but a great experience. I once had $100 gift card and used it to get crazy with the wine list--which you can definitely do there.

I love L'Orcio as well and also eat there very often. The food is excellent but the experience there is made much better imo when the weather is nice enough for you to eat outside because their courtyard is such a great spot.

Honestly, in my opinion these two places are head and shoulders above the rest for what you are looking for. I am not a fan of Caseus at all. I know it has a rabid following, but I don't find the food all that special, the service is affected or disaffected, and the room is not comfortable.

Reaction Score
If your colleague is familiar to the New Haven restaurant scene and may want to try something new, check out my client/chef Avi's Roia in the former Taft Hotal. New to the scene, beautiful room, great food.
Roia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger