OT: Need a good New Haven restaurant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Need a good New Haven restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It has been a year or so but Soul de Cuba Cafe is very good

Reaction Score
John Davenport's. The restaurant is not the best in New Haven. It is a pretty good hotel restaurant. But it is on the top floor of the Omni Hotel and the views are terrific which gives the place a "special occasion" feel. I have been there many times and when someone goes for the first time they really enjoy the experience. Plus you just park downstairs in the building. Easy in and out.

Reaction Score
Adrianna's, 116 Crown is great cocktails, Goodfellas, Carmine Anthony's, Portofino, Barcelona, Geronimo

Reaction Score
I'll throw Heirloom and Roia into the mix if they haven't been already.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess my thinking about all these others is that many of them have very good food and decent settings, but all of those that are anywhere remotely close to Union League or L'Orcio in quality/service/setting are also every bit as expensive, yet not quite as special. I've been to them all, and the perception that Union League (or L'Orcio) is appreciably more expensive is just that--i.e., perception. It's simply not true in reality, and in my view no reason not to choose the one that is most special. If the point is to make a statement, there is no question in my mind about which one makes the best statement.

If you want the best value pick, it's Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven. $100 would likely do it there, and it is very good food with good service in a decent room.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
8893 knows food
BTW 8893, I finally got to Buffalina's last weekend. Excellent (and crowded!)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
8893 knows food
BTW 8893, I finally got to Buffalina's last weekend. Excellent (and crowded!)
And I have the body to prove it!

Glad you enjoyed Bufalina. Yeah, it's tiny and crowded, and getting the highest possible rating from NYT certainly hasn't helped that, but the husband and wife who own and run it are really wonderful people who will work with you if you have some flexibility and they do; otherwise it's best just to make a reservation well in advance. More than once they've even called me back after telling me they had no openings, just to tell me that they were able to find someplace or some time to squeeze us in. And the outdoor, non-reserved seating has worked out for us several times as well. But nothing beats sitting around that tiny counter, drinking your own wine out of those little glasses and enjoying the scene.

Good people, good product, and good to watch them at work because there is no place to hide and therefore no mysteries--just good, honest food.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
FWIW, November 2-7 is New Haven Restaurant Week, and every serious restaurant recommendation mentioned in this thread is participating. $18 lunches and $32 prix fixe dinner menus, which typically include a choice of appetizer, entree and dessert. That's a good time to try some of these places for a good deal less money. Book early though, as the very popular ones like Union League and L'Orcio fill their reservations pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
I guess my thinking about all these others is that many of them have very good food and decent settings, but all of those that are anywhere remotely close to Union League or L'Orcio in quality/service/setting are also every bit as expensive, yet not quite as special. I've been to them all, and the perception that Union League (or L'Orcio) is appreciably more expensive is just that--i.e., perception. It's simply not true in reality, and in my view no reason not to choose the one that is most special. If the point is to make a statement, there is no question in my mind about which one makes the best statement.

If you want the best value pick, it's Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven. $100 would likely do it there, and it is very good food with good service in a decent room.

I don't know, Ibiza was pretty amazing before it closed, and their head chef is now working at the replacement restaurant, Olea, which I bet is also pretty special. I haven't been there yet, but based on how awesome I thought Ibiza was (which was also quite expensive), I do think it was competitive with Union League or L'Orcio.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know, Ibiza was pretty amazing before it closed, and their head chef is now working at the replacement restaurant, Olea, which I bet is also pretty special. I haven't been there yet, but based on how awesome I thought Ibiza was (which was also quite expensive), I do think it was competitive with Union League or L'Orcio.
I don't disagree with that. Ibiza was right there. I read the Olea review in the most recent New Haven Magazine the other day and it also sounds solid. I just lean toward the tried and true, and I really love the room at Union League--perhaps even better for a late afternoon lunch than dinner, as the light is really special then (or maybe that's the Burgundy...).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of NYT reviews:
Very nice. I'll have to give it another try. I went shortly after they opened and it felt like they were still working out the kinks. I didn't love the flow of the room; thought the food was good not great.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Sal's pizzeria. Sinatra's always ordered pizzza from there whenever he was in area. Includes autographs photos and long lines on Sat. night.

Reaction Score
Agree with 8893, but perhaps worth a revisit to Rovia.

Now who has the best grinder food truck in the Elm City? Kidding. As a New Haven resident I try to hit up all the foodie places.

Reaction Score
I have always wondered about Brazi's down off Sargent Drive as I have taken customers there for lunch and it's always very good, but haven't had dinner there. Just a few miles down the road is Gusto's in Milford - excellent italian cuisine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom