Nebraska fired Pelini? | The Boneyard

Nebraska fired Pelini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really. Good coach in my book. Nebraska's success under Osborne has led to unreasonable expectations. Not in a recruiting hot bed. They fired Solich who clearly was a good coach and replaced with him Callahan who was a disaster. They then gave Pellini an extension coming off of the same record the fired Solich for. Strange decisions there, but teams that pay top dollar don't do so to be also rans. They want to be in the mix for national titles. CFB is a tough business at the top.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wasn't Solich also fired after a 9-3 season?

Nebraska needs to get a calendar. The 70s aint comin back. The triple option at the major level aint comin back.

Reaction Score
67-27, as HC there. unreal that he would get fired really.

"In fact, no coach in the history of a Power 5 program had been fired for on-field performance after winning as many games in his first seven years. Only Alabama and Oregon - first and second this week in the College Football Playoff rankings - can match the Huskers in winning nine games each year since 2008."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Reaction Score
The hand writing was on the wall. After last season, he challenges the Husker athletic department with "If you don't like the job I'm doing, FIRE me!" He reiterated it last weekend, so yesterday's result must have sealed his fate.

Reaction Score
(the elephant in the room has gotta be thinking) bad timing for UCONN football??? I know I know, but with the frustrations we're going thru in our rebuilding process you gotta admit the thought had to cross everybody's mind here...simply because this guy's proven....

Reaction Score
The hand writing was on the wall. After last season, he challenges the Husker athletic department with "If you don't like the job I'm doing, FIRE me!" He reiterated it last weekend, so yesterday's result must have sealed his fate.
Um, they won yesterday. Maybe the Wisconsin game did it. But still 40 games over .500, is 4o games over .500.

Given that this firing shows what the expectations really are there, who do they think they are going get there? They are going to have to pay a sheetload and include a massive buyout because that place may have the most unreasonable expectations this side of Texas.

Reaction Score
(the elephant in the room has gotta be thinking) bad timing for UCONN football??? I know I know, but with the frustrations we're going thru in our rebuilding process you gotta admit the thought had to cross everybody's mind here...simply because this guy's proven....
I love you, but this guy will have his pick of mid tier P5 jobs if he wants to go that route. Hell if I'm Florida I kick the tires on this guy. With that recruiting territory, he may be a home run there.

Reaction Score

I always thought that while a generally good coach, Bo had one major flaw: emotional discipline. There were times when he looked like he was going to have a heart attack on the sideline during big games.

Then again, he is a proven big time coach...

Reaction Score
Who is going to want that job? Fired two successful coaches. Wonder where Pelini goes next. He should have a ton of suitors. Won't need to leave the P5.

Reaction Score
Personality was the problem. You can't insult your fans, unless maybe they're hard edged New Yorkers. Not gonna fly in the Midwest.

Reaction Score
Nebraska just screwed themselves. You would think they would have learned something from their own history. Will set the program back 3-5 years before they see another 9 win season. Delusional.......

Reaction Score

Never crossed my mind but are there any players who might be looking to transfer?? ;);):p Sorry K - couldn't resist the poke.

Reaction Score
Speaking of openings, what jobs are expected to be available besides Florida and Kansas.

Michigan
South Carolina? Va tech?
Iowa st?

Reaction Score
He'll be a top candidate for every opening. Nebraska did him a favor.

Maybe even Michigan? I'd be absolutely shocked if Brady Hoke doesn't get canned sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Nebraska's move to the Big 10 makes it harder for them to recruit TX and OK. Think they are on a long slow downward trend

Reaction Score
Skiblets hit the nail square on the head. When Nebraska was a power under Osborne in the 80's it was because they were a national program...on tv every week. With the dawn of 8 ESPN channels, and conference networks, never mind Fox Sports 1 and CBS Sports net they lost that. Their next best thing was how well they recruited in Texas when they were in the B-12...when they left for the B1G that coffin was pretty much nailed shut. They will be on the road to mediocrity counting their millions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nebraska is also getting killed in Nebraska by the slow death of the high school game there.

Farming advances has led to smaller families and schools are shrinking. Playing 7 on 7 and dropping programs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you need to contend for a playoff spot regularly if you want to keep your job at Nebraska.

Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Nebraska is also getting killed in Nebraska by the slow death of the high school game there.

Farming advances has led to smaller families and schools are shrinking. Playing 7 on 7 and dropping programs.
I think this was the case going as far back as their last national title. They used to have a premier instate walk on program where they got a good deal their of their OL. I think losing the Texas/Oklahoma recruiting area is their real problem.

pj

Reaction Score
I think this was the case going as far back as their last national title. They used to have a premier instate walk on program where they got a good deal their of their OL. I think losing the Texas/Oklahoma recruiting area is their real problem.

This is why the B1G is smart to be looking to big-population markets like New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and New England rather than smaller-market traditional football powers like Nebraska and Oklahoma. Those football programs will revert to the mean, but the population will always be there along the East Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom