Nebraska Cornhuskers | The Boneyard

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Reaction Score
The Huskers have rushed out to a 5 and 0 record after a very disappointing 2018/2019 season. The Huskers have a great rebounding guard and while they're big Cain has not come close to realizing her potential the team is deep and when hot shoots very well. This Sunday in an intriguing matchup the Huskers will play Creighton. Many of you recall the unseemly departure of Connie Yori as the Huskers coach a few years back. She ended up at Creighton where she formerly coached as a program advisor.The real story about her departure from Nebraska never came out. That said the Sunday game should be a good one which I'll be watching. My wife's family is from Nebraska so I'm always interested in those teams. And the ASU Sun Devils will play Creighton next month.

The Huskers highly-recruited player Taylor Kissinger has not played this year. She has not appeared in the box score and I haven't been able to find out any info about her status. If there are any Husker fans out there who know what's going on I'd love to hear about her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Huskers have rushed out to a 5 and 0 record after a very disappointing 2018/2019 season. The Huskers have a great rebounding guard and while they're big Cain has not come close to realizing her potential the team is deep and when hot shoots very well. This Sunday in an intriguing matchup the Huskers will play Creighton. Many of you recall the unseemly departure of Connie Yori as the Huskers coach a few years back. She ended up at Creighton where she formerly coached as a program advisor.The real story about her departure from Nebraska never came out. That said the Sunday game should be a good one which I'll be watching. My wife's family is from Nebraska so I'm always interested in those teams. And the ASU Sun Devils will play Creighton next month.

The Huskers highly-recruited player Taylor Kissinger has not played this year. She has not appeared in the box score and I haven't been able to find out any info about her status. If there are any Husker fans out there who know what's going on I'd love to hear about her.

Trinity Brady and Taylor Kissinger continue to go through the concussion protocol and were unavailable for the game

Reaction Score
The Huskers lost an exciting game to Creighton last night. It was a high-scoring affair and while the Huskers had the lead in the second half they weren't able to contain the Blue Jays down the stretch.

Good news for the Huskers. Kate Cain had her best game of the year with 18 points and Taylor Kissinger played double-digit minutes. Great to have her back.

I suspect this victory was particularly sweet for Connie Yori.

The ASU Sun Devils play Creighton next month and they're going to offer the Devil's a number of challenges.

Creighton shot 44% from beyond the line hitting 14 three-pointers. The Devil's perimeter defense has been lacking this year and this will pose a significant problem.

Creighton's big Jalen Agnew had a monster game against the Huskers with 26 points and 13 rebounds. I'm not sure how we're going to match up or contain her. So those two challenges perimeter shooting and the inside presence of a very effective big suggest to me the Devils will lose it home to the Blue Jays.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Have to disagree that Cain has not come close to realizing her potential. She has exceeded it IMO. She was originally a University of Delaware commit who was allowed to reopen her commitment when the coach at Delaware resigned. Cain was ranked 80ish by ESPN in 2017 HS class and has been among the NCAA leaders in shot blocking and rebounding since she arrived at Nebraska. She is a 6'5" low post defensive force and I wish UCONN had taken a chance on her because that is exactly what UCONN has needed for the past 3 seasons now.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Cornhusker women's basketball. As you mention Cain at six foot five blocks very well. I would say that given her size and over the past two years I've noticed that her footwork doesn't seem to have improved a lot. That said here are statistics for last year, previous year and current year. Doesn't appear to me that there's been much improvement and one might even argue a slight regression. I understand statistics capture only part of the picture and certainly the Huskers are playing extremely well this year and have rebounded from a really disappointing season last. Watching Cain I haven't really seen any discernible improvement since she first came on board and the statistics below don't seem to suggest that there has been any improve. Things will only get tougher once the Huskers enter conference play.

Her highs in these categories all occurred two years ago.

Last year:

22.9 min per game
7.5 pga on 52 per cent shooting
5.9 rpg

The previous year

26 min per game
9.9 pga on 56 per cent shooting
6.0 rpg

This year

22.2 min per game
8.8 pga on 52 per cent shooting
5.8 rpg

I think Natalie Butler was probably a similar type of player and probably better. I'm not certain Cain would have done more than provide 30 seconds to a minute worth of relief for Gabby or Pheesa. She just doesn't move well, doesn't get up and down the court, and doesn't really have the stamina to play the Huskies kind of game.

And thinking about it perhaps what we're seeing from 2017/18 to the present is Cain's potential?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice victory over USC....Taylor Kissinger looked very - good 8 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals.

SC really ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Man, USC is killing the Pac 12. Almost everybody else is handling their business so far.

Reaction Score
The Las Vegas tournament in which the Huskers are playing has a no monetary cost live stream. I was able to watch the fourth quarter of the Huskers victory over the Trojans yesterday.

Been thinking about the previous discussion of Cain.

In the Huskers previous game, a loss to the Creighton Bluejays, Cain had a solid offensive game. However she demonstrated limited effectiveness on defense as the Blue Jays big Agnew lit the Huskers up for 26 points and pulled down 13 boards.

With 1:57 left in the game on an inbounds play demonstrated what I see is a lack of development by the Cornhuskers big. She was having difficulty moving her feet and actually I think tripped and fell. The announcers who are big Huskers fans made a big deal about how she was diving to the floor. LOL

Her 10 points and five right rebounds were rather pedestrian against a SC team that is clearly and charitably rebuilding. In fact in the fourth quarter SC was only able to manage two points.

The Huskers play Sacred Heart today. The three and three Sacred Heart squad not a power 5 conference participant is 3 - 3. They're big Jessica Woods averages 12 points and eight rebounds. That matchup what show the current state of Cain's play and by implication her development.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Man, USC is killing the Pac 12. Almost everybody else is handling their business so far.
A little overstated. USC's only bad loss is to UCSB, and that was with all their best players out injured. I wouldn't call A&M or even Nebraska a bad loss.

Utah's losses (Cincinnati, Xavier, South Dakota) are collectively worse than USC's. Since beating Utah, Xavier has lost to Temple, Rider, Ball State and Wright State.

Cal has the loss to Harvard, Washington lost to Tulane, and ASU looked bad against Minnesota.

Reaction Score
A little overstated. USC's only bad loss is to UCSB, and that was with all their best players out injured. I wouldn't call A&M or even Nebraska a bad loss.

Utah's losses (Cincinnati, Xavier, South Dakota) are collectively worse than USC's. Since beating Utah, Xavier has lost to Temple, Rider, Ball State and Wright State.

Cal has the loss to Harvard, Washington lost to Tulane, and ASU looked bad against Minnesota.
ASU not only looked bad in Minnesota but revealed the nature of this year's team - ineffective perimeter shooting, weak perimeter defenses, height challenged, inexperience, and injury impacted.

The Purdue game today and the Creighton game next month are both hurdles and indicators of how the Devil's season will unfold.

As I've said before the Devil's could be swept in conference by the top 5 teams for 10 losses.

Reaction Score
In the game against Duke the Huskers prevailed in large part due their outstanding shooting. Very little defense was played in the first half as the Huskers held on to a 49-45 lead. In fact very little defense was played in the second half as well as both teams cooled off. I agree with a poster who said that Duke is clearly very talented but that did not translate into a victory. Both Taylor Kissinger who was 6 for 9 from the 3-point line and looked fully recovered from her concussion and Ashtyn Veerbeek had outstanding offensive games. Kate Cain continued her up and down performance. In the first quarter she was 1 for 4 with all four shots within five feet of the hoop. She moved out in the second quarter and hit 3 mid-range jumpers. Her 12 points and five rebounds certainly contributed to the victory while her lack of defense did not. The Duke Bigs were 15-27 and all the frontline outrebounded Cain. You can point to her five blocks as a positive but she had an inability to rotate and was clearly one of the slowest bigs on the floor. Again she had an opportunity to demonstrate her potential against a very strong opponent and I would say this ended up is a C effort. Amy Williams has to be pleased with everything except the defensive effort of her team in this victory.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Huskers lost an exciting game to Creighton last night. It was a high-scoring affair and while the Huskers had the lead in the second half they weren't able to contain the Blue Jays down the stretch.
Good news for the Huskers. Kate Cain had her best game of the year with 18 points and Taylor Kissinger played double-digit minutes. Great to have her back.
I suspect this victory was particularly sweet for Connie Yori.
The ASU Sun Devils play Creighton next month and they're going to offer the Devil's a number of challenges.
Creighton shot 44% from beyond the line hitting 14 three-pointers. The Devil's perimeter defense has been lacking this year and this will pose a significant problem.
Creighton's big Jalen Agnew had a monster game against the Huskers with 26 points and 13 rebounds. I'm not sure how we're going to match up or contain her. So those two challenges perimeter shooting and the inside presence of a very effective big suggest me the Devils will lose it home to the Blue Jays.
I was so confused by the bolded parts of your post. Thanks to google I was able to make some sense of it. Connie Yori left Nebraska as head coach in 2016. She used to coach at Creighton and is currently at Creighton in and administrative capacity as program advisor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Have to disagree that Cain has not come close to realizing her potential. She has exceeded it IMO. She was originally a University of Delaware commit who was allowed to reopen her commitment when the coach at Delaware resigned. Cain was ranked 80ish by ESPN in 2017 HS class and has been among the NCAA leaders in shot blocking and rebounding since she arrived at Nebraska. She is a 6'5" low post defensive force and I wish UCONN had taken a chance on her because that is exactly what UCONN has needed for the past 3 seasons now.
Knowing what you know about her, how do you think she compares to Gabriel? Piath is NR in HG, but is in the 40's per PN. Not sure where she really "belongs" in the rankings, but she seems to be a similar level of "quality"...

Reaction Score
I've never seen her play. The reports and ranking services appear to suggest that she is quicker on her feet and has a stronger sense of defense in the paint. That's said without having direct experience I would defer to Geno and CD. Even with direct experience I would defer to Geno and CD.

As the conversation about Kate Cain revealed it's about player development and how a player improves over their college career. Geno and CD have a demonstrated track record of development and brain players closer to their potential. I think Stef is a great example of this. While the Huskies program has the ability to support player development part of that intangible is within the player. I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
I was so confused by the bolded parts of your post. Thanks to google I was able to make some sense of it. Connie Yori left Nebraska as head coach in 2016. She used to coach at Creighton and is currently at Creighton in and administrative capacity as program advisor.
Connie Yori is a legend in Nebraska and Iowa athletics for both her play and coaching. Fans of both Cornhusker Athletics and Hawkeye Athletics watched that game with added interest due to the subtext of Yori's career and current work with the Blue Jays.

A tremendous High School athlete in the state of Iowa she was the player of the year in both baseball and softball and over her high school basketball career scoring over 3,000 points. She went on to star at Creighton and later coached there before taking the Cornhusker head coaching job. Below the Wikipedia entry gives a little background on her.

"After shattering the old program record of 23 for wins in a season, and for Nebraska's 15-game turnaround, Yori received the Big 12 Conference, WBCA Region 5, U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA), Women's Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year and Naismith Coach of the Year awards.[8][9] She was also named the inaugural winner of the Kay Yow National Coach of the Year Award, which is given to the women's college basketball head coach in NCAA Division I competition who displays great character both on and off the court.[3][4]"

She was suddenly and summarily terminated from the University of Nebraska after claims by some players that she was too tough. While these claims were disputed by other existing players and former players on the team the die was cast.

After her termination she returned to Creighton in an advisory position to the coach. Thus my original comment that this was a sweet victory for Yori.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Connie Yori is a legend in Nebraska and Iowa athletics for both her play and coaching. Fans of both Cornhusker Athletics and Hawkeye Athletics watched that game with added interest due to the subtext of Yori's career and current work with the Blue Jays.

A tremendous High School athlete in the state of Iowa she was the player of the year in both baseball and softball and over her high school basketball career scoring over 3,000 points. She went on to star at Creighton and later coached there before taking the Cornhusker head coaching job. Below the Wikipedia entry gives a little background on her.

"After shattering the old program record of 23 for wins in a season, and for Nebraska's 15-game turnaround, Yori received the Big 12 Conference, WBCA Region 5, U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA), Women's Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year and Naismith Coach of the Year awards.[8][9] She was also named the inaugural winner of the Kay Yow National Coach of the Year Award, which is given to the women's college basketball head coach in NCAA Division I competition who displays great character both on and off the court.[3][4]"

She was suddenly and summarily terminated from the University of Nebraska after claims by some players that she was too tough. After her termination she returned to Creighton and I'm advisory position to the coach. Thus my original comment that this was a sweet victory for Yori.

Well aware of Yori's legendary status in Nebraska and Iowa. I'm also aware that despite her denial of wrongdoing, Nebraska's own investigation determined that Yori bullied, intimidated and overtraining some players. Ultimately Yori resigned before being fired. I also suspect that Yori's documented mistreatment of players might have been a factor in the NCAA granting Jessica Shepard immediate eligibility upon her transfer to ND.

Reaction Score
While most of the attention in Cornhusker Nation is on the NCAA volleyball playoffs the Huskers play Oral Roberts tomorrow.

Nebraska has an overall 6 and 0 record against Oral Roberts and this should prove a tune-up for Big Ten play. Looking forward to seeing if Taylor Kissinger can continue her strong performance since coming back.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Well aware of Yori's legendary status in Nebraska and Iowa. I'm also aware that despite her denial of wrongdoing, Nebraska's own investigation determined that Yori bullied, intimidated and overtraining some players. Ultimately Yori resigned before being fired. I also suspect that Yori's documented mistreatment of players might have been a factor in the NCAA granting Jessica Shepard immediate eligibility upon her transfer to ND.
Didn't Shepherd stay at Nebraska a year after Yori left before transferring?

Reaction Score
Yori was fired in the spring of 2016 and Shepherd announced that she was leaving at the beginning of Summer 2017.

It's unclear which camp Jessica Shepherd fell into. Natalie Romero and about half of the squad supported Connie Yori. Most of the former Cornhusker women who played for your Glory who were interviewed also supported her.

There was a contingent of players on the team who did complain which led to the investigation.

Shepard was one of the most highly-touted female athletes in the state of Nebraska. She was a five-star recruit and in addition to being a home state product was impressed with your a during the. Of recruiting. Interestingly she played at Lincoln Southeast the high school that my wife attended.

This is what Sheppard said in the article regarding her intent to transfer:

She averaged 18.6 points and 9.8 rebounds this past season under first-year coach Amy Williams, but the Huskers went 7-22 — their worst record in school history.

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”
Coming out of Fremont, Shepard was a five-star recruit and the third-ranked high school player in the country, according to ESPNW. She was also a four-time All-Nebraska selection.
Shepard played her first two seasons at Lincoln Southeast, and was on pace to break the state’s career scoring record before tearing an ACL her senior season. She finished her prep career with 2,229 points, fourth all time in Nebraska.

Amy Williams a UNL alum inherited a terrible situation. As we know she rebounded the following year to become coach of the year in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Huskers defeated Oral Roberts by 10 this afternoon. Kate Cain had 15 points and eight rebounds with most of her damage in the first half. Taylor Kissinger was not in the box score wondering if she is re-injured.

Reaction Score
Cornhuskers improve to 11 and one with the 78-69 home court victory over the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kate Cain led the Huskers with a double-double.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom