Nebraska celebrates eighth anniversary in Big Ten Conference | The Boneyard

Nebraska celebrates eighth anniversary in Big Ten Conference

Reaction Score

"Eight years ago, Nebraska officially joined the Big Ten Conference. Since that time, the Huskers have won 16 combined conference championships, either regular season or tournament, in all sports."

And they have back to back years of 4-8 football seasons, with five of those 8 wins being against Illinois(2), Rutgers, Arkansas State, and Bethune Cookman. I don’t think the move to the Big Ten was a great move for Nebraska.

Reaction Score
And they have back to back years of 4-8 football seasons, with five of those 8 wins being against Illinois(2), Rutgers, Arkansas State, and Bethune Cookman. I don’t think the move to the Big Ten was a great move for Nebraska.
Really doesn't matter. They hit the financial jackpot.

Reaction Score
Nebraska’s problem was coaching, not conference. I think Scott Frost will turn it around for the Huskers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was conference. The move killed their Texas recruiting. Not to mention the B1G is light years deeper than the B12.

Reaction Score
Nebraska preferred the stability of the Big Ten. (Obviously.)

Reaction Score
I dunno, why would they turn down a huge financial windfall so they could make less while being treated like a 2d class citizen behind bevo and OU? What could they’ve been thinking.

Reaction Score
Nebraska was in the old Big 8 for its most successful years. This included the rural states of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Missouri. Not Texas. Nebraska was in the same conference as Texas for only 15 years. The first few years in the Big 12 were the last years of success for Nebraska. Texas recruiting had nothing to do with it. Nebraska had no ties to Texas for most of its history.

The Big Ten is deeper than the Big 12 and the old Big 8. That is very much true.

Nebraska is happy in the Big Ten. I think they are a perfect fit in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I dunno, why would they turn down a huge financial windfall so they could make less while being treated like a 2d class citizen behind bevo and OU? What could they’ve been thinking.

Because being 2d class citizens behind Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin, with no real rivals would tend to kill off not just football but most of their other athletic programs. I doubt the financial windfall will filter down to the fans that fill their stadiums for these sports while they are forced to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland to see their teams play.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska fans love being in the Big Ten. I’d know because I am one. It’s done great things on the academic side and our athletic problems in football are self induced.

The basketball team just hired Fred Hoiberg, the volleyball team won it all in 18 and made the finals in 19, the baseball team won the 2018 Big Ten tournament and made the NCAA this year, and we have a great AD that is replacing coaches that aren’t winning and leading facility upgrades across the board (golf has been announced, football is coming but hasn’t been publicly announced). Not to mention we’re now earning a full distribution of TV revenue.

Nebraska has always recruited nationally and there’s been a huge push from this staff specifically in the southeast (FL, GA, AL, TN) and the far west (AZ/CA/HI). They’re not purposefully avoiding Texas- 6 kids signed from there in the last 3 classes plus a grad transfer- but the idea that the B1G move has been bad for NE recruiting is very overblown. Huskers have had the #1 class in the West for years, now it’s about translating that to success on the field.

Reaction Score
Because being 2d class citizens behind Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin, with no real rivals would tend to kill off not just football but most of their other athletic programs. I doubt the financial windfall will filter down to the fans that fill their stadiums for these sports while they are forced to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland to see their teams play.

I’ll take that bet. They’re fine. More than fine.

Reaction Score
The Huskers' 2019 spring game attendance of 85,946 was the second-highest in program history — trailing 2018 — and was good enough for top in the nation so far.

Reaction Score

Like Rutgers. When talking to their fans, they bring up the money they are making.

Like it drifts down to the fans pocket.

Reaction Score
The Huskers' 2019 spring game attendance of 85,946 was the second-highest in program history — trailing 2018 — and was good enough for top in the nation so far.

Traveling to Lincoln isn’t as hard or expensive as traveling to New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Maryland.

Reaction Score
Huskers fans travel well. I seem to remember a certain year when Husker fans overtook South Bend for a game against the Irish. It was as if the game was being played in Lincoln.

Reaction Score
Huskers fans travel well. I seem to remember a certain year when Husker fans overtook South Bend for a game against the Irish. It was as if the game was being played in Lincoln.

Notre dame fans have always been willing to sell their tickets to games against non rivals, just like Georgia last year. I was at both these games and was offered $500 per ticket ($1,000 for 2 tickets) at each of them. Many people I know sold them, but I really like going to the games, so $1,000 wasn’t enough. Honestly, if I the offer had been $1,000 per ticket, I probably would have sold them.

Reaction Score
So Husker fans not only travel well, they have disposable income to help the economies of the cities they visit.

Reaction Score
Notre dame fans have always been willing to sell their tickets to games against non rivals, just like Georgia last year. I was at both these games and was offered $500 per ticket ($1,000 for 2 tickets) at each of them. Many people I know sold them, but I really like going to the games, so $1,000 wasn’t enough. Honestly, if I the offer had been $1,000 per ticket, I probably would have sold them.
Go Dawgs!

Reaction Score
The sad thing for Nebraska is that they were the 2nd winningest team of the 90's....and now they are just another Northwestern (in fact, have a .500 record with NW).

Reaction Score
So Husker fans not only travel well, they have disposable income to help the economies of the cities they visit.

That was always the big difference between Nebraska fans and Penn State fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nebraska’s problem was coaching, not conference.
Hmmm, what are you implying?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My brother went to Georgia. This will be a fun game.
I was at the last one. You are correct that UGA took over the stadium. I think it was 2/3 red and black.

I had 2 tickets and needed 2 more. I think I paid $200 each for the extra 2 about 5 minutes from kick.

This year’s game in Athens will also be a hot ticket.

Notre Dame always has an interesting schedule. It’s good to be independent and free.

Reaction Score
And..it's fun to have Notre Dame playing five games a year in the ACC....every third year you get to anticipate the game.

The 2020 ND vs Clemson game should be a good one.

Notre Dame, with that base and with the annual USC game as a core, can rotate in a Michigan, Georgia, Arkansas, Wisconsin, etc.

Notre Dame and UMass share the designation "independent" in the same way that a Ferrari and a Yugo share the same designation of "car".

Notre Dame, in fact, because of their brand, may have its own class.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom