OT: ND to Hockey East. UConn a candidate too | The Boneyard

OT: ND to Hockey East. UConn a candidate too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If ND wanted to join the Big 10, being part of its new hockey conference would have made sense. Due to Big 10 grabbing a few CCHA teams (Notre Dame's former conference), UConn's current hockey conference, AHA, has been or will be negatively impacted. Due to Title IX's reverse limitations, UConn does not have enough scholarships to leap frog some of the AHA's current athletic minnows let alone jump up to Hockey East. It's too bad, but unlikely to happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we ever want a men's ice hockey team that can be competitive at the highest level this is the time the start moving in that direction. Unfortunately I doubt that we are willing (or more likely able) to make the necessary financial commitment (which would be erasonably significant).

Reaction Score
If ND wanted to join the Big 10, being part of its new hockey conference would have made sense. Due to Big 10 grabbing a few CCHA teams (Notre Dame's former conference), UConn's current hockey conference, AHA, has been or will be negatively impacted. Due to Title IX's reverse limitations, UConn does not have enough scholarships to leap frog some of the AHA's current athletic minnows let alone jump up to Hockey East. It's too bad, but unlikely to happen.

If they want to do it they can do it. You can cut men's schollies in other sports, or you can add more for women. If the school wants to make men's hockey a priority, it can be done.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'd rather see UConn put money into hockey than say track or golf... but that's just me. It just seems like more of a natural fit. It also probably costs a lot more...

Reaction Score
What also "fits" is that hockey is "THE COOLEST GAME ON EARTH"
I'm a big fan!
Would love to see UConn move up.....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Best line from the above tribune article, "...leaving Notre Dame associated with smaller schools..."

It seems there is a kink in the armour after all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
With our head coach, we'd be a bottom dweller. The women's program is already in Hockey East, I can see the men's side eventually being invited.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/09/28_notre_dame_decision_not_the.php

"While many have speculated that Connecticut would be the natural fit — it would join fellow New England state schools Vermont, UMass, Lowell, New Hampshire and Maine — UConn currently has a tiny building and doesn't award any scholarships. While UConn has shown it can become a power in a sport when it decides to upgrade the program, there is no indication they are ready to do so with men's ice hockey."

Yankee Conference hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger