ND goes down. New rankings prediction | The Boneyard

ND goes down. New rankings prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Unranked NC State just took down ND. So we have until Monday to ponder the new polls.

Who do you have in what spot?

Here's my Top 10:
#1 UConn
#2 Maryland
#3 Baylor
#4 Mississippi State
#5 South Carolina
#6 ND
# 7 FSU
#8 Louisville
#9 Washington
#10 UCLA

Reaction Score
Maryland is not going to pass Baylor after a cupcake schedule and a loss at home versus a tougher schedule and a loss on the road. Flip flop two and three and you probably have nailed it, although FSU could possibly squeeze into the sixth spot in one of the two polls.

Reaction Score
Maryland is not going to pass Baylor after a cupcake schedule and a loss at home versus a tougher schedule and a loss on the road. Flip flop two and three and you probably have nailed it, although FSU could possibly squeeze into the sixth spot in one of the two polls.

I don't think MD will move---the voting people--will have seen a game of 10 healthy players, being beaten at home, from the get go--came back where KLS couldn't find the basket with radar (sick) and the other 2 of the Trifecta are hobbled with fouls. KLS scored in the second half.
MD came from 19 down, at home, when Uconn could not foul. Bad loss for MD, even at 5 point at home.
ND had a bad game, as Bags said after holiday blues--Baylor and ND may trade places but not MD.
As is the case for all here on the Boneyard--it is an opinion -and worth nothing more.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think when all is said and done, the ACC will prove to be the top conference by a good margin. FSU and Duke are/were sleepers along with ND, Louisville, a decent NC State, Va Tech and sneaky Miami. The SEC is down, Big 12 has maybe 3 teams, the Big 10 has 2, so by relative value PAC 12 looks good though the top teams are no Better than #10 nationally. UConn, Baylor, MD, Miss St, FSU (good win on the road) then USC, ND, Louisville, Duke and UCLA are my top 10.

Reaction Score
I don't think MD will move---the voting people--will have seen a game of 10 healthy players, being beaten at home, from the get go--came back where KLS couldn't find the basket with radar (sick) and the other 2 of the Trifecta are hobbled with fouls. KLS scored in the second half.
MD came from 19 down, at home, when Uconn could not foul. Bad loss for MD, even at 5 point at home.
ND had a bad game, as Bags said after holiday blues--Baylor and ND may trade places but not MD.
As is the case for all here on the Boneyard--it is an opinion -and worth nothing more.

If this game were later in the season, I would agree with you. However, SC was really punished for losing to Duke (who at the time was unranked). ND will most likely not be able to keep a Top 5 ranking with this loss, particularly since it is the second one of the season.

Reaction Score
My vote
  1. UConn
  2. Md
  3. Bay
  4. SC
  5. ND
  6. Fla St
  7. Miss St
  8. Lou
  9. Wash
  10. Ucla

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1) UCONN
2) BAYLOR
3) SOUTH CAROLINA
4) MARYLAND
5) MISS STATE
6) FLORIDA STATE
7) NOTRE DAME
8) LOUISVILLE
9) DUKE
10) UCLA

South Carolina has wins at Ohio State, Louisville, UCLA, and at Texas. Thats more impressive than what Miss State or Maryland have done.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Florida State looked very good against a Top 20 team tonight. I'd rate them ahead of ND and Maryland.

Reaction Score
1) UCONN
2) BAYLOR
3) SOUTH CAROLINA
4) MARYLAND
5) MISS STATE
6) FLORIDA STATE
7) NOTRE DAME
8) LOUISVILLE
9) DUKE
10) UCLA

South Carolina has wins at Ohio State, Louisville, UCLA, and at Texas. Thats more impressive than what Miss State or Maryland have done.

I agree, especially since Duke's subsequent success has removed a lot of the tarnish from that loss. Just the same, the voters are not going to punish Miss State for continuing to win or Maryland for giving UConn all they could handle. South Carolina, whether it is justified or not, should end up fifth. Of course, there are a lot of games this weekend which could change things?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree, especially since Duke's subsequent success has removed a lot of the tarnish from that loss. Just the same, the voters are not going to punish Miss State for continuing to win or Maryland for giving UConn all they could handle. South Carolina, whether it is justified or not, should end up fifth. Of course, there are a lot of games this weekend which could change things?

Not sure about the weekend... but ACC play starts in earnest on Monday evening. Louisville at Duke... NC State at FSU...... and others.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is still undefeated... how could they be ranked lower than 5 when they were 5?

1 UCONN
2 Baylor
3. Mississippi State
4. Maryland
5. Notre Dame
6. South Carolina

Reaction Score
I've been a pretty big proponent of UConn and ND being far and away better than everyone else the last couple years. But both Baylor and Maryland looked like better teams to me than ND this year.

I haven't seen much of Mississippi State. They were offensively challenged last year but that seems to have changed?

Don't sleep on Florida State. They came the closet to beating us of anyone.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is still undefeated... how could they be ranked lower than 5 when they were 5?

1 UCONN
2 Baylor
3. Mississippi State
4. Maryland
5. Notre Dame
6. South Carolina

How could South Carolina be ranked below Notre Dame with just one loss? Also, why would Mississippi State pass Maryland but not Baylor if both of those teams have lost to UConn? You may be correct, but logic is against this particular scenario.

Reaction Score
I've been a pretty big proponent of UConn and ND being far and away better than everyone else the last couple years. But both Baylor and Maryland looked like better teams to me than ND this year.

I haven't seen much of Mississippi State. They were offensively challenged last year but that seems to have changed?

Don't sleep on Florida State. They came the closet to beating us of anyone.

I agree. Baylor and Maryland both look like better teams than Notre Dame, and FSU might also be better. However, it is a long season; that could certainly change.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think when all is said and done, the ACC will prove to be the top conference by a good margin. FSU and Duke are/were sleepers along with ND, Louisville, a decent NC State, Va Tech and sneaky Miami. The SEC is down, Big 12 has maybe 3 teams, the Big 10 has 2, so by relative value PAC 12 looks good though the top teams are no Better than #10 nationally. UConn, Baylor, MD, Miss St, FSU (good win on the road) then USC, ND, Louisville, Duke and UCLA are my top 10.

I'm sorry, but the relative strength of the conferences is determined overwhelmingly by OOC results, not by how many "upsets" get pulled in conference play. The fact that NC State was able to beat ND is a testament to ND's relative weakness this year, not the strength of the ACC.

The Pac-12 may not have any top-5 teams but they are far and away the deepest conference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the relative strength of the conferences is determined overwhelmingly by OOC results, not by how many "upsets" get pulled in conference play. The fact that NC State was able to beat ND is a testament to ND's relative weakness this year, not the strength of the ACC.

The Pac-12 may not have any top-5 teams but they are far and away the deepest conference.

Maybe the Deepest.... but I'd put money on the ACC top 7 vs the Pac 12's top 7.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm surprised at how little ND is getting from their bench.

When was the last time the Irish were not in the top 4 or 5?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe the Deepest.... but I'd put money on the ACC top 7 vs the Pac 12's top 7.

Well, that's a skewed metric for multiple reasons. For one thing, the ACC has more teams than the Pac-12. So you'd be taking the top 46% of one conference and trying to match it against 58% of the other conference.

A fairer test of holistic conference strength would be to match the middle 7 of one conference against the middle 7 of the other.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, that's a skewed metric for multiple reasons. For one thing, the ACC has more teams than the Pac-12. So you'd be taking the top 46% of one conference and trying to match it against 58% of the other conference.

A fairer test of holistic conference strength would be to match the middle 7 of one conference against the middle 7 of the other.

How bout this.... leave off Boston College, Clemson, and Pittsburgh... that will leave us with 12... just like the Pac 12 :cool::p:D

Reaction Score
1. UConn
2. Baylor - Playing better and better every game
3. Maryland - They proved their mettle last night, even losing.
4. Florida State - Just an all round sound team playing very very well
5. South Carolina
6. Mississippi State - Could be higher but jeez they lost by 61 in last year's Sweet Sixteen, I need to see a better CV
7. Notre Dame - NC State?
8. UCLA
9. Louisville
10. Washington

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It depends if you look at the coaches poll or the AP poll - one has MD as #4, the other as #3. For me personally...
  1. UCONN
  2. Maryland
  3. Baylor
  4. Miss State
  5. SC
  6. FSU
  7. ND
  8. L'ville
  9. Wash
  10. UCLA
I put Maryland ahead of Baylor because Maryland gave us a better game than Baylor did. They scored more, the game was closer, and if the game had lasted 5 more minutes, it's likely Maryland would have won. I would not be surprised to see them in the NC game. Basically I bump Maryland up a spot even tho they lost the game. I doubt the voters do that...

Also I drop ND down to 7 behind FSU etc. I also don't think the voters drop them that far...

What I think the rankings will be:
  1. UCONN
  2. Baylor
  3. Maryland
  4. Miss State
  5. SC
  6. ND
  7. FSU
  8. L'ville
  9. Wash
  10. UCLA

Status