ND formidable roster. | The Boneyard

ND formidable roster.

Reaction Score
ND will have anywhere from 12 to 15 players on the 2021-‘22 roster, as we know at this point (that is obviously subject to change):

1 Graduate Student:
- 6'3" Center Mikayla Vaughn (would have one year of eligibility if she does not go pro)
4 Seniors
- 6'4" Forward Danielle Cosgrove
- 5'10" Guard Katlyn Gilbert (has two years of eligibility)
- 5'10" Guard Abby Prohaska (has two years of eligibility)
- 5'7" Dara Mabrey (has two years of eligibility)*
2 Juniors
- 6'2" Forward Sam Brunelle
- 5'10" Guard Anaya Peoples
5 Sophomores:
- 6’3” Forward Amirah Abdur-Rahim.
- 6’0” Guard Alli Campbell
- 5’7” Point Guard Alasia Hayes
- 6’5” Forward/Post Nat Marshall
- 6’3” Wing/Forward Maddy Westbeld
Two Freshmen (as of April 26)
- 5'10" Point Guard Olivia Miles
- 6'1" Off Guard Sonia Citron
They will be talented.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn in '21-'22

Redshirt Senior
6' - Evina Westbrook
Senior
5'11 - Christyn Williams
6'5 - Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Junior
6'1 - Anna Makurat
6'1 - Aubrey Griffin
Sophomore
6’5 - Piath Gabriel
6'3 - Aaliyah Edwards
5'11 - Paige Bueckers
5'10 - Nika Muhl
5'11 - Mir McLean
Freshmen
6'5 - Amari DeBerry
6'2 - Saylor Poffenbarger
5'10 - Caroline Ducharme

**And still may add an amazing player in Azzi Fudd**

UConn will be even scarier in '21-22 in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uhhhhh where’s 6’5” Piath Gabriel?
UConn in '21-'22

Redshirt Senior
6' - Evina Westbrook
Senior
5'11 - Christyn Williams
6'5 - Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Junior
6'1 - Anna Makurat
6'1 - Aubrey Griffin
Sophomore
6'3 - Aaliyah Edwards
5'11 - Paige Bueckers
5'10 - Nika Muhl
5'11 - Mir McLean
Freshmen
6'5 - Amari DeBerry
6'2 - Saylor Poffenbarger
5'10 - Caroline Ducharme

**And still may add an amazing player in Azzi Fudd**

UConn will be even scarier in '21-22 in my opinion.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Formidable roster - to be determined. New head coach, regardless of her former position, is going to have many bumps in the road.

The roster is only on paper. Potential is one thing, actual play on the court is another.

The jury is still out on this one.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have trouble understanding how so many knowledgeable WBB fans feel so sure two untested coaches (Ivey and Lawson) who have not coached one second of D1 BB are going to be so successful. There is so much more than Xs and Os and recruiting tied to coaching. Maybe ND will prosper under Ivey but how can people be so sure. Texas and Tennessee had so much talent the past few years and look where it got them.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The freshmen today are so much more polished than in years past. You can see that in individual players scattered throughout the WCBB spectrum...but South Carolina really proved it with the single group class of 2019. If any team can land a cluster like that and add a good player to the mix...watch out. That is the scary part of the 2021 UCONN and South Carolina classes....grouping so many great players at once for the long haul. Impressive doesn't really say it....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ND will have anywhere from 12 to 15 players on the 2021-‘22 roster, as we know at this point (that is obviously subject to change):

1 Graduate Student:
- 6'3" Center Mikayla Vaughn (would have one year of eligibility if she does not go pro)
4 Seniors
- 6'4" Forward Danielle Cosgrove
- 5'10" Guard Katlyn Gilbert (has two years of eligibility)
- 5'10" Guard Abby Prohaska (has two years of eligibility)
- 5'7" Dara Mabrey (has two years of eligibility)*
2 Juniors
- 6'2" Forward Sam Brunelle
- 5'10" Guard Anaya Peoples
5 Sophomores:
- 6’3” Forward Amirah Abdur-Rahim.
- 6’0” Guard Alli Campbell
- 5’7” Point Guard Alasia Hayes
- 6’5” Forward/Post Nat Marshall
- 6’3” Wing/Forward Maddy Westbeld
Two Freshmen (as of April 26)
- 5'10" Point Guard Olivia Miles
- 6'1" Off Guard Sonia Citron
They will be talented.
I see a crowded/large roster but I don't see formidable. Not to be politically incorrect but half the ND roster are players that UCONN evaluated and decided to pass on. Please don't make me start naming the half either! That roster is also very guard heavy with 8 of the 14 players being guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The freshmen today are so much more polished than in years past. You can see that in individual players scattered throughout the WCBB spectrum...but South Carolina really proved it with the single group class of 2019. If any team can land a cluster like that and add a good player to the mix...watch out. That is the scary part of the 2021 UCONN and South Carolina classes....grouping so many great players at once for the long haul. Impressive doesn't really say it....

Weeeeeeelllllllllllllllll, SCar had two senior first round draft choices to shepherd that amazing freshman class. Let;s see how they do without that senior leadership. I'm hopeful but not quite sure their accolades have been earned - yet.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Weeeeeeelllllllllllllllll, SCar had two senior first round draft choices to shepherd that amazing freshman class. Let;s see how they do without that senior leadership. I'm hopeful but not quite sure their accolades have been earned - yet.
Geno said that in the NCAA Tournament, especially the FF, jump shots become tougher to make. We will never know but, just how would those three freshmen have handled the pressure that comes with the FF, IF they had made it that far?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I have read this over and over. It's not "senior" leadership so much as upper class players with talent. This could have happened with two talented juniors....or Sophomores. The "senior" is not the key element as much as experience. The 3 starting freshmen will have the experience of "that" season of No.1...and beating numerous ranked teams along the way. Those girls are now seasoned. I would expect them to be as good if not better in 2020-21....and then even better with the 21-22 team. Don't underestimate that South Carolina team just because Harris and Herbert-Harrington have moved on. That team has young "experience" in very crucial games. The South Carolina/UCONN series will be an awesome one for several more years.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Geno said that in the NCAA Tournament, especially the FF, jump shots become tougher to make. We will never know but, just how would those three freshmen have handled the pressure that comes with the FF, IF they had made it that far?
The talent level rises as the games go on because of the level of competition rises. The weaker teams give way to the more talented teams. Those freshman...at that point of the year...were no longer freshman so that point is moot. They also played in front of 10,000 plus crowds most of the times....that was a UCONN advantage throughout the years. You get used to the hype...because it's there every home game....

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The talent level rises as the games go on because of the level of competition rises. The weaker teams give way to the more talented teams. Those freshman...at that point of the year...were no longer freshman so that point is moot. They also played in front of 10,000 plus crowds most of the times....that was a UCONN advantage throughout the years. You get used to the hype...because it's there every home game....
No. Crowd size has nothing to do with it. The stakes are different. They had never played with so much at stake before. I'm not saying they would not have overcome the pressure but, it is a different kind of pressure. One freshman, yes, Stewart proved that, but three, that is a lot to expect, imo. Ask Diana about it.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
No. Crowd size has nothing to do with it. The stakes are different. They had never played with so much at stake before. I'm not saying they would not have overcome the pressure but, it is a different kind of pressure. One freshman, yes, Stewart proved that, but three, that is a lot to expect, imo. Ask Diana about it.
They went into play No.4 Maryland the second game of the season...seriously...you're joking right. This team never got rattled with the exception of the Indiana game when Boston was dealing with the loss of her teacher that she was very close to. It effected the entire team....but the NCAA tournament would not produce heartache and they performed under pressure all year...and as I said....they were no longer freshmen at that point. They had already player the best....so they would have no extra pressure anymore than any other team....Geno even said.."these girls don't play like freshmen"....

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
They went into play No.4 Maryland the second game of the season...seriously...you're joking right. This team never got rattled with the exception of the Indiana game when Boston was dealing with the loss of her teacher that she was very close to. It effected the entire team....but the NCAA tournament would not produce heartache and they performed under pressure all year...and as I said....they were no longer freshmen at that point. They had already player the best....so they would have no extra pressure anymore than any other team....Geno even said.."these girls don't play like freshmen"....
Well, if you say so.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Well, if you say so.
I wasn't making an argument that they would have won it all. I was pointing out that the "freshmen pressure" wasn't a real thing by seasons end with the schedule they played. I think Oregon, Baylor, UCONN or maybe some other team could have possibly won it all....but South Carolina was the best team at years end with the only exception being Oregon....but I could say that should have been the championship game but things don't always play out the way they are suppose to. I think South Carolina at that point was a better team...but we will never know and that's just my opinion...and my opinion is just that....mine.

Reaction Score
I wasn't making an argument that they would have won it all. I was pointing out that the "freshmen pressure" wasn't a real thing by seasons end with the schedule they played. I think Oregon, Baylor, UCONN or maybe some other team could have possibly won it all....but South Carolina was the best team at years end with the only exception being Oregon....but I could say that should have been the championship game but things don't always play out the way they are suppose to. I think South Carolina at that point was a better team...but we will never know and that's just my opinion...and my opinion is just that....mine.

I'm with Donald here. I'm shocked that you are digging in with your argument especially using a "November 19th game" as a major point in your argument. I know a fan is a fan which means in some cases we will just believe what we want to believe and nobody will change our minds no matter the logic.

In this case if you can't see the difference between a November game vs a tournament game in which your season ends, and yet you don't think youth can be more affected by it because they weren't affected in November-- then I just don't know what to say. :) Well good -- no-- great for you-- you're dug in in your fandom and unwilling to give an inch. No matter the logic.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The November 19th game was when they were truly freshmen that would have exposed their tendencies to fold under pressure. It is the perfect analogy for my argument. They were playing their second game together on a national stage. If they were going to falter...don't you think that would have been the time. To dismiss an early season, under pressure, national televised game as "it didn't mean anything" is disingenuous at best...They played like seasoned players even that early on. You people can be as jealous of that team last year as you want...but my argument stands...and it stands tall !!!!....again...I am not a South Carolina fan, I am not a Baylor fan, or an Oregon fan, and am not a UCONN fan. I am a fan of women's basketball...graduate of Elon in North Carolina......I have said that about a thousand times also....so get that through your head....

Reaction Score
The November 19th game was when they were truly freshmen that would have exposed their tendencies to fold under pressure. It is the perfect analogy for my argument. They were playing their second game together on a national stage. If they were going to falter...don't you think that would have been the time. To dismiss an early season, under pressure, national televised game as "it didn't mean anything" is disingenuous at best...They played like seasoned players even that early on. You people can be as jealous of that team last year as you want...but my argument stands...and it stands tall !!!!....again...I am not a South Carolina fan, I am not a Baylor fan, or an Oregon fan, and am not a UCONN fan. I am a fan of women's basketball...graduate of Elon in North Carolina......I have said that about a thousand times also....so get that through your head....

I'm sorry I am not buying this.

To make the bold a big point in your argument is just wrong. First off the kids are 18-19 yo freshmen, We can't twist it any other way. They are freshmen - not seniors. Secondly, I'll repeat again I find to so wrong to believe that youth 18/19 year old freshmen kids are "without a doubt" oblivious to pressure because they handled it in November. One-and-done is much. much, much different than a November game. I'm stunned that you can't see this. Anyhow believe what you want to believe. A November game has some meaning but not near as much as you've represented.

And I like to look back in history. I believe history shows you are wrong.

1--- One of the alltime great players in WCBB History Diana Taurasi had arguably the worst game of her career in FF after being named the Most Outstanding Player in her region leading up the FF. So Diana was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

2--- One of the top 2 centers in UCONN History Tina Charles held her own vs the SR Sylvia Fowles in 1st game only to get blitzed the next time in the NCAA Tourney. So Tina was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

3-- One of the alltime great players in WCBB History Maya Moore as freshman decisively outplayed Stanford's Wiggins (a senior) in a November game. Yet when they met in Final Four Wiggins decisively outplayed Maya. So Maya was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

And I'm sure I can go back in history to see Ionescu and/or AWilson and see how their performance increased with experience in NCAA's as a comparison of their last game lost despite having terrific freshman years. You even said/ implied Oregon was a team to match up with SC this year.

***I'ts not just one of these points -- it's the accumulation of all of them. I highly doubt that we can "With little doubt" say that SC would be near immune for a struggle from their freshmen while looking back at ALL_TIME GREATS who have struggled and point to a November game as main point why the SC Freshmen are immune and the ALL-TIME GREATS were not.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I am not buying this.

To make the bold a big point in your argument is just wrong. First off the kids are 18-19 yo freshmen, We can't twist it any other way. They are freshmen - not seniors. Secondly, I'll repeat again I find to so wrong to believe that youth 18/19 year old freshmen kids are "without a doubt" oblivious to pressure because they handled it in November. One-and-done is much. much, much different than a November game. I'm stunned that you can't see this. Anyhow believe what you want to believe. A November game has some meaning but not near as much as you've represented.

And I like to look back in history. I believe history shows you are wrong.

1--- One of the alltime great players in WCBB History Diana Taurasi had arguably the worst game of her career in FF after being named the Most Outstanding Player in her region leading up the FF. So Diana was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

2--- One of the top 2 centers in UCONN History Tina Charles held her own vs the SR Sylvia Fowles in 1st game only to get blitzed the next time in the NCAA Tourney. So Tina was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

3-- One of the alltime great players in WCBB History Maya Moore as freshman decisively outplayed Stanford's Wiggins (a senior) in a November game. Yet when they met in Final Four Wiggins decisively outplayed Maya. So Maya was not immune to freshman jitters but the SC frosh would have been?

And I'm sure I can go back in history to see Ionescu and/or AWilson and see how their performance increased with experience in NCAA's as a comparison of their last game lost despite having terrific freshman years. You even said/ implied Oregon was a team to match up with SC this year.

***I'ts not just one of these points -- it's the accumulation of all of them. I highly doubt that we can "With little doubt" say that SC would be near immune for a struggle from their freshmen while looking back at ALL_TIME GREATS who have struggled and point to a November game as main point why the SC Freshmen are immune and the ALL-TIME GREATS were not.
Sorry....I am not buying this....this only says the scary part is these freshman didn't do as a whole what the others did as individuals. You are taking individuals and comparing it to 3 players who at times had the freshmen moment but none in the same game. I don't think you even understand your own argument. This is a party of three that while one may have had a game that they struggled it was never all 3. I will also point out....again....that this was a seasoned team at the end. Your argument is full of holes because you want to include individuals to a group of 3 using your argument....which fails......You seem to think they would "all" have one of those moments in the same game where as none of the other players on any team would struggle in any game because they were not freshmen....That is absurd.....It just shows how weak your argument is that they "must" fail because they are freshmen". That, again, is totally absurd....

Reaction Score
Sorry....I am not buying this....this only says the scary part is these freshman didn't do as a whole what the others did as individuals. You are taking individuals and comparing it to 3 players who at times had the freshmen moment but none in the same game. I don't think you even understand your own argument. This is a party of three that while one may have had a game that they struggled it was never all 3. I will also point out....again....that this was a seasoned team at the end. Your argument is full of holes because you want to include individuals to a group of 3 using your argument....which fails......You seem to think they would "all" have one of those moments in the same game where as none of the other players on any team would struggle in any game because they were not freshmen....That is absurd.....It just shows how weak your argument is that they "must" fail because they are freshmen". That, again, is totally absurd....

Time to put you on ignore. Please do the same with me.

Reaction Score

I also don't like the fact that everyone thought SC was only the freshmen or two seniors when in reality we had the best bench in WCBB. Regardless if those freshmen didn’t play to potential someone stepped in like nothing ever happened. How can you make a point that because an individual has a bad game the whole team would fail because of it? It doesn’t make any sense...

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I also don't like the fact that everyone thought SC was only the freshmen or two seniors when in reality we had the best bench in WCBB. Regardless if those freshmen didn’t play to potential someone stepped in like nothing ever happened. How can you make a point that because an individual has a bad game the whole team would fail because of it? It doesn’t make any sense...
I agree with what you say but the focus was on the freshmen and someone was trying to make the freshmen out to be something that maybe they were not. The bottom line is, we will never know. What we do know is that they were outstanding players, freshmen or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom