ND (football) of Basketball | The Boneyard

ND (football) of Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is quite easy to be worried about the future of this program by not being in a P5. Playing the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, UCF, etc..twice a year is not that appealing

I'm not quite sure what the competitive advantage is for hiring this particular AD (maybe we will find out later).

But I think UCONN can do something. Play the toughest (out-of-conference) schedule every year similar to what ND football does (yes, I know they do not have a conference, but they consistently play a tough schedule).

UCONN MBB played: Maine, New Hampshire, Furman, Sacred Heart, UMASS Lowell and Central Connecticut. They played a total of 13 non-conference games. (Michigan, Cuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, UT, Ohio State, Georgetown).

Why not consistently play a schedule where UCONN plays 2 teams who historically finish in the top half of their respective conference many of which can be in neutral locations. And include one of those international tournaments?

UCONN finished 11-7 in the conference which I would say is poor. They lost 3 out of conference games. So if they went 8-2, 7-3, or 6-4, against the P5 consistently in out of conference play going into conference play, I think that keeps them in high regard.

The cupcakes have to get off the schedule.

Reaction Score
Interesting but this is the basketball board not football.

Reaction Score
ummm, yea....if you play 2 schools in each P5 conference that is 10 out of conferences games (for the bball team)

Reaction Score
Interesting but this is the basketball board not football.

He's talking about basketball tho.

UConn schedules as tough a BBall OOC as any in the country.

Good luck trying to get more than 6 P5 games against top competition.

Reaction Score

I hear you. Most teams probably wouldn't even want to play UCONN. But two teams from each conference could agree to a home/home; it's not crazy.

Reaction Score
our cupcakes are significantly better than last year. NEU and BU should be well in the top 200 for RPI and if loyola improves a little bit, they could as well. Agree we can't have too much of this maine or CCSU nonsense. Lose-lose proposition.

yes! I mean I understand a team damn near has to get 20 wins (or more) to get into the tourney, and I'm not saying the NEU and BU's of the world aren't any good in any given year...but from a long term recruiting standpoint...imagine this as a regular OOC schedule - Ohio State, Syracuse, Auburn, Georgetown, (what we have now) + a tourney, and throw in Arizona State, Kansas State and Tennessee....what's crazy about that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our schedule isn't as strong as I would like it to be. The challenge is that we can play exclusively home games against cupcakes. P5 schools and even strong mid majors will insist on home and home series. That would decrease our total number of home games and overall revenue.

It's a problem. Our conference schedule should we be stuck in the AAC is likely to get even weaker, perhaps to where it is a 1-2 bid league at best. We may be forced to upgrade the OOC schedule even more.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is nice on paper but good luck getting those schools to agree to those games.

One big problem with college sports now is that no one wants to play a "bad game", so you think Duke will do a true home and home? You think Cuse will leave the state of NY? Being outside of the P5 comes with the added negative that lots of ADs seem to blackball G5 schools because the perception of a win over a bad P5 is currently greater than beating a strong G5, luckily RPI and metric in basketball help offset this but it's certainly the truth in football and largely in bball.

Reaction Score
Our schedule isn't as strong as I would like it to be. The challenge is that we can play exclusively home games against cupcakes. P5 schools and even strong mid majors will insist on home and home series. That would decrease our total number of home games and overall revenue.

It's a problem. Our conference schedule should we be stuck in the AAC is likely to get even weaker, perhaps to where it is a 1-2 bid league at best. We may be forced to upgrade the OOC schedule even more.
yes, agree. sign home/home contracts with these P5's , that locks it in for 2 years. However, from a (desire to) win standpoint, neutral-court would be better, but that would only be a one year deal as it currently is with Syracuse in MSG. The committee respects who you schedule.

Reaction Score
This is nice on paper but good luck getting those schools to agree to those games.

One big problem with college sports now is that no one wants to play a "bad game", so you think Duke will do a true home and home? You think Cuse will leave the state of NY? Being outside of the P5 comes with the added negative that lots of ADs seem to blackball G5 schools because the perception of a win over a bad P5 is currently greater than beating a strong G5, luckily RPI and metric in basketball help offset this but it's certainly the truth in football and largely in bball.
I agree...nothing great comes easily

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
yes, agree. sign home/home contracts with these P5's , that locks it in for 2 years. However, from a (desire to) win standpoint, neutral-court would be better, but that would only be a one year deal as it currently is with Syracuse in MSG. The committee respects who you schedule.

We already do that. Just signed one with Auburn. UConn is enough of a draw that very good mid majors want to play us, along with medium-good P5s. The top P5s are afraid for the most part. But either way, you can't play just home and homes, because you get too few home games. You need to try to find quality cupcakes, like catching a Holy Cross, Harvard or a Yale on a good year, but advanced scheduling makes that tough.

Reaction Score
Play as tough an ooc schedule as anybody? You must be joking. And with our conference situation, the ooc schedule needs to be much better. Possible to compare ooc RPI from recent seasons to the schedules of the 90's? I bet they are about the same.

Reaction Score
Memphis under Calipari used to schedule OOC well when they were in conference USA. They played anybody early and sometimes it was ugly but they knew they had to and maybe they weren't alway successful they threw caution to the wind. We are trying to thread a needle very carefully], and yes we play some big teams but we need it to be stronger IMO.

Reaction Score
Play as tough an ooc schedule as anybody? You must be joking. And with our conference situation, the ooc schedule needs to be much better. Possible to compare ooc RPI from recent seasons to the schedules of the 90's? I bet they are about the same.

Look around: 2015-2016 was Michigan, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, Ohio State, Texas, Georgetown. These are all marquee games against marquee teams. 7 games.

This year we have: Syracuse, Georgetown, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and likely North Carolina. After that, it's either Oregon or Wisconsin. Also a P5 game against Auburn, which landed some good recruits this year, including Connecticut's Mustapha Heron.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This guy doesn't wanna hear it! An OOC of UCLA Duke Kansas UK UNC MSU Oklahoma Oregon Florida Pitt Indiana or nothing at all. He clearly gets how scheduling works.

Reaction Score
It is quite easy to be worried about the future of this program by not being in a P5. Playing the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, UCF, etc..twice a year is not that appealing

I'm not quite sure what the competitive advantage is for hiring this particular AD (maybe we will find out later).

But I think UCONN can do something. Play the toughest (out-of-conference) schedule every year similar to what ND football does (yes, I know they do not have a conference, but they consistently play a tough schedule).

UCONN MBB played: Maine, New Hampshire, Furman, Sacred Heart, UMASS Lowell and Central Connecticut. They played a total of 13 non-conference games. (Michigan, Cuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, UT, Ohio State, Georgetown).

Why not consistently play a schedule where UCONN plays 2 teams who historically finish in the top half of their respective conference many of which can be in neutral locations. And include one of those international tournaments?

UCONN finished 11-7 in the conference which I would say is poor. They lost 3 out of conference games. So if they went 8-2, 7-3, or 6-4, against the P5 consistently in out of conference play going into conference play, I think that keeps them in high regard.

The cupcakes have to get off the schedule.
How do you suggest we replace the revenue we'll lose from giving up home games where a return road game is not required? The cupcake games are mostly about money. If you haven't noticed, we really need it.

Reaction Score
This guy doesn't wanna hear it! An OOC of UCLA Duke Kansas UK UNC MSU Oklahoma Oregon Florida Pitt Indiana or nothing at all. He clearly gets how scheduling works.
haha thanks! all is possible. No one said anything about scheduling all of the "blue bloods"

Reaction Score
haha thanks! all is possible. No one said anything about scheduling all of the "blue bloods"

To be fair, he is responding to someone else who doesn't like my list of marquee teams.

Reaction Score
How do you suggest we replace the revenue we'll lose from giving up home games where a return road game is not required? The cupcake games are mostly about money. If you haven't noticed, we really need it.
like I said before, it's certainly not easy to figure out....but how much does UCONN receive for entering the NCAA tourney....you could look at it that way as well. stronger OOC schedule leads to higher probability of entering the tourney (all else =)...but I have no idea what the revenue/profit is for one home game vs going and winning in the tournament. I don't think a home game vs Wagner is crazy $$$, but I could very well be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom