Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

Bw7sP3yIcAAF6WM.jpg

Reaction Score
This picture reminds me of Rembrandt's Night Watch...notice the use of the bright colored clothing to distinguish the central figure...it has been suggested that Rembrandt meant to caste the gelded figure in the role of marionette...

1229px-The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's great. Recognized for reaching the FF. Quite an accomplishment.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Game was over ten minutes in when UConn went up 22-8. Achonwa wouldn't have made the Irish 20 points better.
Watch the video again. Right from the opening tipoff, Uconn pushed the ball inside to take advantage of Achonwa's absence. That would nullify your point. But that wasn't my point anyway. MHS said that ND choked. Harsh.

Would you say that the 2001 UConn team, the one that Geno said was he greatest team, "choked", and ignore the fact that Sveta and Shea were injured, and freshman DT went 2 for 18? At least be consistent.

To be clear, I'm not saying ND would have won with Achonwa, but Achonwa was a team Captain and leader, and was playing the best basketball of her career when she went down in the game just before the final four. To say her absence didn't make any difference is probably one of the reasons that many people dislike UConn fans. Double standard.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's a trivia question for you: Name a season where UConn won a National championship with one of their starting players injured.

Reaction Score
This team won every game but the national championship and lost their star center right before that game. It would have made ZERO difference in the outcome, but they deserve plenty of recognition.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
2003 with Nicole Wolff and 2009 with Caroline Doty. But I get your point.
Not to minimize your point, but Nicole and Caroline were both Freshmen. There are some on this board that claim that Geno won't start Freshmen, but you and I know differently. Good memory, though.

I was thinking Jessica Moore, but I think she was injured at the end of the final game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Recognized for what, choking in the big game?

Maybe for winning a national semifinal by double digits despite playing without their All-American starting center and team leader ;)

Honestly, I don't actually mind the jibes about the national championship game from Husky fans, but I think that team should get more credit for how they dominated Maryland even without Achonwa.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any choking. I did see a pretty determined beat down, a domination of the paint, and an All-American backcourt held firmly in check.

Reaction Score
No choke that is for sure..... but it is nice returning the smack talk that we were on the recieving end of..... with Becky berzinski.... or whoever it was a couple of years back.... and that didnt even result in an Irish NC.....

The most interesting thing about this "celebration" is that it took place at all..... Is this the new bar for ND, GETTING to the FF? Perhaps they have conceded that UC is becoming dominant in the game....

I, for one, think ND will be the #1 contender the next few years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had an excellent team, and they were well coached. It was unfortunate that Achonwa got injured, but I don't believe her presence would have changed the outcome.

As for ND honoring them, that's their business. I would, however, invite their attention to what Vince Lombardi once said:

"Second place is meaningless."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe for winning a national semifinal by double digits despite playing without their All-American starting center and team leader ;)

Honestly, I don't actually mind the jibes about the national championship game from Husky fans, but I think that team should get more credit for how they dominated Maryland even without Achonwa.
It was only Maryland let's be real.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had an excellent team, and they were well coached. It was unfortunate that Achonwa got injured, but I don't believe her presence would have changed the outcome.

As for ND honoring them, that's their business. I would, however, invite their attention to what Vince Lombardi once said:

"Second place is meaningless."
Notre Dame finished First Place in the ACC, and won the conference Tournament. It was their first year in arguably the strongest Conference in the country. Does UConn consider winning the AAC and Tournament meaningless?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Notre Dame finished First Place in the ACC, and won the conference Tournament. It was their first year in arguably the strongest Conference in the country. Does UConn consider winning the AAC and Tournament meaningless?

I acknowledged the excellence of the ND team and its coach. By logical extension, my praise extended to them winning the ACC championship. That's as far as I will go. I added that "it's their business" if and how they honor their team.

The Lombardi quote needs no amplification from me.

Maybe at Notre Dame they should change that famous sign to read:

"Play like a runner-up today."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member