ND at Purdue now live on B10 network. | The Boneyard

ND at Purdue now live on B10 network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Diggins is playing great against a big in state rival. 14-5 ND, best I've seen ND play in a long time.

Reaction Score
ND rolling 17-5, but it should be even more -- Peters has missed at least 3 layups.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
ND rolling 17-5, but it should be even more -- Peters has missed at least 3 layups.
Right, now 19-5 against a pretty good Purdue team.

Based on these early games, ND is definitely an elite team this year, along with Baylor and UConn. I don't think anyone else is close to these three.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
ND was not the same team with Diggins on the bench. She definitely makes them go.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Purdue settled down but probably too late.

First 10 minutes - ND 25, Purdue 5
Last 10 minutes - Purdue 12, ND 11

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Purdue settled down but probably too late.

First 10 minutes - ND 25, Purdue 5
Last 10 minutes - Purdue 12, ND 11

Definitely too late. ND is obliterating them in the second half. ND is very impressive.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Two questions for those of you who are watching:

Is Mallory defending Rayburn (for the most part)? (Mallory is ND's best defender)
Has Notre Dame played Peters and Achonwa together for many minutes in the game? (The UConn/ND matchups will be fascinating as both teams start with 4 guards)

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Right, now 19-5 against a pretty good Purdue team.

Based on these early games, ND is definitely an elite team this year, along with Baylor and UConn. I don't think anyone else is close to these three.

Based on what? ALL of your home games? The 3rd game of the season for Stanford at Uconn? Stanford will be a favorite in March, as will TN, MD, and Kentucky.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Definitely too late. ND is obliterating them in the second half. ND is very impressive.
They are a great team. Should be fun (painful) to play them 2-3 times.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Two questions for those of you who are watching:

Is Mallory defending Rayburn (for the most part)? (Mallory is ND's best defender)
Has Notre Dame played Peters and Achonwa together for many minutes in the game? (The UConn/ND matchups will be fascinating as both teams start with 4 guards)

Thanks.
ND has played mostly an aggressive man defense, I don't recall any zone so far. ND does a lot of switching so I would credit ND as a team for making Rayburn a non-factor. (not sure I agree that Mallory is their best defender, I'm impressed with Diggins' disruptive defense)

Yes, Achonwa and Peters have played together quite a bit. Peters has stayed out of foul trouble for a change.

ND by 30 now.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Based on what? ALl of your home games? The 3rd game of the season for Stanford at Ucoon? Stanford will be a favorite in March, as will TN, MD, and Kentucky.
Based on what I am seeing. Have you seen ND play other than the game at Baylor?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
what a total beat down... with the way ND is improving, i bet they'd like another crack at Baylor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
ND has played mostly an aggressive man defense, I don't recall any zone so far. ND does a lot of switching so I would credit ND as a team for making Rayburn a non-factor. (not sure I agree that Mallory is their best defender, I'm impressed with Diggins' disruptive defense)

Yes, Achonwa and Peters have played together quite a bit. Peters has stayed out of foul trouble for a change.

ND by 30 now.

I'm basing my opinion on Mallory's play last year. Muffet has always talked about her as the team's best defender though maybe Diggins has surpassed her. I haven't seen enough of ND yet this year.

Reaction Score
Based on what I am seeing. Have you seen ND play other than the game at Baylor?

Yes. My pt it is WAY early in the season to be automatically placing 3 teams in Denver.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
CARDFAN is correct in that the ups and downs of early season games can be misleading and not a prognosticator of season-end skills. The upcoming game with Baylor, also relatively early season, should serve as a good measure for UCONN.:)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
what a total beat down... with the way ND is improving, i bet they'd like another crack at Baylor.

They'll likely have to make it to the NC game to get another crack at them. It could happen.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yes. My pt is WAY early in the season to be automatically placing 3 teams in Denver.
Fine. Maybe you missed the part of my post that you responded to, where I said "Based on these early games..... ".

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That was an embarrassment for Purdue. Makes TAMU's loss to Purdue look even worse than it did before.

I had thought at one time that Diggins was overrated...not anymore. She, Sims and Hartley are the cream of the crop this year.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
That was an embarrassment for Purdue. Makes TAMU's loss to Purdue look even worse than it did before.

I had thought at one time that Diggins was overrated...not anymore. She, Sims and Hartley are the cream of the crop this year.
Agree on all counts. Diggins was very impressive today.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
CARDFAN is correct in that the ups and downs of early season games can be misleading and not a prognosticator of season-end skills. The upcoming game with Baylor, also relatively early season, should serve as a good measure for UCONN.:)

Of course. The idea that early season games can sometimes be misleading is hardly a ground-breaking observation. But there's also an eye-test too. And sometimes, if you've watched enough basketball, you can tell early on when a team is built to make a deep tournament run. Last year cardfan posted often that Notre Dame had not beaten a quality opponent on the road. I think that criticism was leveled against ND by many Tenn fans as well. Some of us who were familiar with ND said that a team with guards who were that big and talented (and getting better) stood a good chance of having a deep run in the NCAA tournament. The combination of knowing what it takes to win in March and the eye test are often good predictors of the teams that will be left standing when all is said and done. This is not to say that there won't be upsets, failures, under- and overachieving teams and of course, that old injury bugaboo . That's what makes the season so much fun (except in the case of injuries). It's also a lot of fun to make early picks on teams that you think stand a good chance of making it to the FF, even at the risk of later being proven wrong. I also think that a response like "it's too early" is much less interesting than actually identifying areas of a team's game that might cause it not to succeed late in March.

Reaction Score
Fine. Maybe you missed the part of my post that you responded to, where I said "Based on these early games..... ".

yes, I read that. I disagree that no teams are close to ND, UConn, and BU now or in March/April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom