NCAA's broken transfer waiver system | The Boneyard

NCAA's broken transfer waiver system

Reaction Score
We had some discussion about this when Martin was asking for a transfer waiver. Read the story linked below and tell me how the NCAA could continue to use this system. Basically the school that the player transfers from holds all the power whether a student athlete gets his waiver or not. Even if they lie. Just like many of the NCAA rules, this is just pure stupidity. I hope this kid sues the NCAA and the school he transferred from. Some lawyer should take this case.

After talking to Owens and Corbin, I believed Miami had taken a reasonable position and had provided a justifiable basis to withhold support of Sibande's waiver request.

Here's the problem: Miami wasn't telling me the truth.

After I talked to Owens and Corbin, ESPN obtained the documentation for Sibande's waiver request, Miami's response to the waiver request and Sibande's appeal to the denial. Sibande's Aug. 13 waiver request did not state, reference, mention or imply that he had been "run off," did not have a spot on the roster or was unwelcome to return. The basis for Sibande's waiver request was the continued care of his infant daughter, Oaklynn, who has relocated to Pittsburgh along with her mother, and Sibande's concerns regarding COVID-19 on the Miami campus.

Reaction Score
This is not meant to defend MU, but the player’s story is full of holes too. Family from Indy, who he could not ask to move to Oxford, picked up and moved to Pittsburgh instead. How is that any different? Again, the system itself is the problem that makes people write things like “drawn to Pittsburgh” with a straight face.

Reaction Score

>>Under the proposal developed by the NCAA Working Group on Transfers, athletes are afforded a one-time transfer during their athletic careers without suffering the penalty of sitting out a season, reversing a policy from the 1960s. Fall and winter sport athletes would have to notify their schools of a transfer by May 1, with an exception extending the date to July 1 for an end-of-the-year head coaching change or the non-renewal of scholarships. Spring sport athletes would have until July 1 to notify schools of transfer. Athletes missing those deadlines would not be immediately eligible at their new school.

In order to transfer and be eligible, athletes must also leave their previous school academically eligible, according to the proposal. An athlete’s previous school would not have any ability to object to the transfer. The legislation prohibits athletes from competing in the same academic season at two different schools.

The NCAA would not impose limits on the number of transfer athletes that a D-I program may accept in a given year, the legislation says.<<

Reaction Score
This is not meant to defend MU, but the player’s story is full of holes too. Family from Indy, who he could not ask to move to Oxford, picked up and moved to Pittsburgh instead. How is that any different? Again, the system itself is the problem that makes people write things like “drawn to Pittsburgh” with a straight face.

You made me think of possible reasons to choose Pittsburgh over Indianapolis or Oxford.
The weather? No.
Lower cost of living? No.
Job opportunities? Probably not.
A chance to be around Jeff Capel? Well, I guess it's possible.

As for Covid, Pennsylvania has only 9% more people but 66% more deaths from the virus than Ohio.

Reaction Score
Personally I think the fact that college athletes can’t transfer at will is ridiculous. They’re not getting paid, so makes no sense to act like they’re under some kind of contract. The rule is geared to protect the schools 100%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom