NCAA | The Boneyard

NCAA

Reaction Score
I am so disgusted with the NCAA. They are worthless!! No penalties for UNC? Are you kidding me! Every school should create fake courses so no athletes ever fail. Forget about academic standards!! No school should ever accept any penalties for anything from the NCAA. All schools that have been previously penalized should bring a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I am so disgusted with the NCAA. They are worthless!! No penalties for UNC? Are you kidding me! Every school should create fake courses so no athletes ever fail. Forget about academic standards!! No school should ever accept any penalties for anything from the NCAA. All schools that have been previously penalized should bring a lawsuit against the NCAA.
I totally agree with you. All schools can now have these type of courses for everyone. Academics don't matter.

Reaction Score
Big wheels keep on turnin'....Roy'm'boy keeps on burnin'.

Roy's perfect musical role..from Best Little WH-House in Texas...the Sheriff

Ooh I love to dance a little sidestep, now they see me now they don't-
I've come and gone and, ooh I love to sweep around the wide step,
cut a little swathe and lead the people on.

We have seen this one coming...it was set up to be labeled an "academic" problem to be handled by the education continuing certification process not an "athletic" problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all knew that the academic integrity of the ACC was suspect. Now it is proven to be a sham , just like the NCAA.

Reaction Score
In reality and not angry wishful thinking...UNC will remain one of the top American Universities.....the AFAM scandal will not impact the academics of the university (any more than the low APR of basketball players affected UConn's standing). A small blip in a larger universe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In reality and not angry wishful thinking...UNC will remain one of the top American Universities.....the AFAM scandal will not impact the academics of the university (any more than the low APR of basketball players affected UConn's standing). A small blip in a larger universe.
In the long run I agree with you regarding academics.

Of course, they also will be know as a cheating program. The "Carolina Way" has gone from a tagline to punchline.

Reaction Score
We all knew that the academic integrity of the ACC was suspect. Now it is proven to be a sham , just like the NCAA.
True, the NCAA refers to those on athlete scholarship as student athletes. So the NCAA protects the athlete from what exactly? Earning money, coaches paying their players - so it is a front, they are their only to enforce any violation that can affect their tax designations....school X doesn't abide and if something isn't enforced then school "Y won't abide. They are only an active guard protecting the "System" but to protect individual student athlete(s) on the academic side is not in their interest nor is it a profitable eandeveor, so what that the student got screwed, he got to play and the university got their money. Besides with the whole concussion thing, he probably wouldn't being use his degree or his mind for very long. College players should band together in all sports and in all conferences in all divisions and achieve a true governance for "Student" athletes.

Good to know "The Man" is not only alive and doing well but he is no longer afraid to show his cards. After all, he controls it all - argue with him, make a point, the story is back-page news - Nothing to see here, just move along.

Like all of us, just wondering when it will stop, when does the reckoning happen, likely not in my lifetime.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here's the answer to all your questions. Straight from the official NCAA website.

Governance
Our governance structure consists of legislative bodies – made up of volunteers from our member schools – that govern each division, as well as a group of committees that set association-wide policy.

These committees manage topics affecting sports rules, championships, health and safety, matters impacting women in athletics and opportunities for minorities.

The NCAA Board of Governors is our highest governing body, bringing together presidents and chancellors from each division to discuss issues important to the entire NCAA membership. All association-wide governing bodies are charged with upholding and advancing the Association’s core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes.

Its the schools that govern themselves. They have no interest in anything that does not meet their needs. Nothing will change.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

With the added caveat that if you're a BCS school and not offering easy-peasy paper courses (available to all students, of course), you're not doing it right.

Reaction Score
Yes, this will have no impact to the ordinary college applicant. UNC will remain a top public university. However, their athletic department, at least with the revenue generating sports, will be viewed as cheats. Even if UNC wins the men's hoops tourney with these athletes, the rest of the nation will focus as much on the scandal as they will title. There is no escape. In fact, with the NCAA's lack of governance, I strongly feel they devalued the entire sport. It's hard to really care about a something where recruits are paid illegally and student athletes attend fake classes. College basketball, the NCAA, and the tv execs behind it are frauds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It goes away...Michigan had their great team (Maurice Webber and his mates) receive over $600,000 from a booster...the NCAA investigated for six years and then acted....We really don't pause much to think of it now when we hear of Michigan.

Minnesota had an adviser admit to writing 400 pieces of academic work for 20 players, Georgia submitted false "A" grades for a handful of basketball players...etc.

To me...I find the point shaving scandals to be as egregious...deliberately shaping the outcome of the game for a payoff....

We know who has been caught at it...but we don't know how much this occurs. Probably very difficult to make a case against a star who has a bad game unless you trap and tap.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It goes away...Michigan had their great team (Maurice Webber and his mates) receive over $600,000 from a booster...the NCAA investigated for six years and then acted....We really don't pause much to think of it now when we hear of Michigan.

Minnesota had an adviser admit to writing 400 pieces of academic work for 20 players, Georgia submitted false "A" grades for a handful of basketball players...etc.

To me...I find the point shaving scandals to be as egregious...deliberately shaping the outcome of the game for a payoff....

We know who has been caught at it...but we don't know how much this occurs. Probably very difficult to make a case against a star who has a bad game unless you trap and tap.

You are actually proving the opposite point, at least with Michigan and the Ed Martin Scandal. The only Fab Five player that took money from Ed Martin was Chris Webber. The others (Robert Traylor, Louis Bullock and Maurice Taylor) were well after the Fab Five. In fact, Ed Martin used the players as a money laundering scheme to hide the money he made in an illegal gambling operation he ran at the Ford plants.

The scandal led to over 10 years of Michigan basketball suckitude (no Buddy, I'm not complaining, I'm making a point) where they were irrelevant in the world of college basketball. You seem to remember that the Fab Five team was filled with paid players, which is not correct. We don't get thought of as dirty anymore because we opened our books to the NCAA and, when we started to get into the clear, hired a squeaky clean coach. People seem to remember the dirtiness of the Miami thug era and the Free Shoes University teams from your own FSU past. Will this hurt UNC? Probably not, but people will remember.

Reaction Score
On
No. Now Louisville will get by unscathed by the ACC no matter what the FBI does.
Not so fast, if Gatto gives up more about Louisville and those tentacles find there way to Duke, FSU and Miami, then Louisville is the sacrificial lamb. In that case the ACC wouldn't wait for the FBI, Louisville would be bounced out of the league the next morning.

Reaction Score
You know...a few FSU players did get some free shoes from a local store manager...it was the "Free Shoes U' label that Spurrier added that is remembered...

Michigan, of course had much, much more serious stuff going on. But no catchy name. Money laundering..payola to players...but no nickname.

Labeling is pernicious...and it is the labels that get remembered.

Like the use of Ped U has labeled Penn State

No one remembers that an outside report damned UConn for not taking action to protect minors and students from a Professor..and that the administration had been warned.

The report said investigators found "strong, credible evidence" that Miller had "engaged in serious misconduct with minors and with university students." The report found "numerous instances" of violations of university rules and policies (and potentially anti-harassment laws) in which Miller provided alcohol to underage students, took students to his vacation home after being warned by his dean not to do so, showered with students at his health club, and went into a hot tub naked with students.

No catchy nickname....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No matter how you look at it the NCAA has become toothless organization with UNC receiving no penalty at all.

Reaction Score
Other than the NCAA, wont the school itself still be penalized because they did have an unfair advantage to all students?

Reaction Score
You know...a few FSU players did get some free shoes from a local store manager...it was the "Free Shoes U' label that Spurrier added that is remembered...

Michigan, of course had much, much more serious stuff going on. But no catchy name. Money laundering..payola to players...but no nickname.

No one remembers that an outside report damned UConn for not taking action to protect minors and students from a Professor..and that the administration had been warned.

The report said investigators found "strong, credible evidence" that Miller had "engaged in serious misconduct with minors and with university students." The report found "numerous instances" of violations of university rules and policies (and potentially anti-harassment laws) in which Miller provided alcohol to underage students, took students to his vacation home after being warned by his dean not to do so, showered with students at his health club, and went into a hot tub naked with students.

No catchy nickname....
wow!!!! you googled Uconn and found something negative.
what's your point Buddy? How does this have anything to do with the conversation at hand which is institutional level cheating for success on the field of play?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
wow!!!! you googled Uconn and found something negative.
what's your point Buddy? How does this have anything to do with the conversation at hand which is institutional level cheating for success on the field of play?

Somebody peed in his Cheerios and he's slipped back into Troll mode.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

No catchy nickname....
Your insecurity is showing again.

What about UConn makes you so insecure? In all seriousness, I don't get it.

Reaction Score
The NCAA’s compliance departments
against UNC
No matter how you look at it the NCAA has become toothless organization with UNC receiving no penalty at all.
Eerily reminiscent of those hard hitting investigators in the HR department at the Harvey Weinstein Movie Studio

Reaction Score
The NCAA’s compliance departments
against UNC
Eerily reminiscent of those hard hitting investigators in the HR department at the Harvey Weinstein Movie Studio

It seems like some conference / programs are favored by the NCAA and other conferences / programs are not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom