NCAA Working Group Recommendations on "Play for Pay" | The Boneyard

NCAA Working Group Recommendations on "Play for Pay"

Reaction Score
Recommendations in. Now NCAA Board of Governors will vote on it - in 9 months. The recommendations are more restrictive than the new California law, and were presented as requested:

"Ackerman's working group was asked to find a solution that expands NIL rules enough to get state lawmakers to stop moving forward with legislation while also not going so far as to critically weaken their amateurism status in the eyes of the federal court."

Recommendations:
  • Allow student-athletes to make money by modeling apparel as long as that apparel doesn't include school logos or other "school marks."
  • Allow athletes to make money from advertisements. Athletes would be allowed to identify themselves as college athletes in advertisements, but would not be allowed to reference the school they attend or include any school marks in the advertisement.
  • Prohibit athletes from marketing products that conflict with NCAA legislation, such as gambling operations or banned substances. Individual schools would also be allowed to prohibit athletes from marketing products that do not line up with the school's values.
  • Allow athletes to hire an agent to help procure marketing opportunities, so long as that agent does not seek professional sports opportunities for the client during his or her college career.
  • Require athletes to disclose the details of all endorsement contracts to their athletic department. The working group would recommend further discussion about whether a third party should be involved in overseeing these disclosures in a way that prevents endorsement deals from becoming improper recruiting enticements.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Should these policy changes be adopted by the NCAA it will exacerbate a system of “haves” and “have nots”. Top players at a handful of schools, in revenue sports like basketball & football, will reap the benefits of big money endorsements while most athletes will not.

I can forsee top college basketball players signing multi-million $ shoe contracts, including a young lady from MN who could become the face of college WBB. I wonder how Geno will deal with the possibility that his pg could be earning more than he does?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This coupled with the one time transfer rule will create de facto free agency for top players. Why should a player stay at a small college when a “Big State U“ booster will give you an advertising gig if you attend Big State?” I think it is a mistake, but it appears to be inevitable.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since colleges sign endorsement deals with shoe/apparel companies like Nike & Adidas, the other side of this policy change will be the proliferation of shady agents aligned with shoe companies that will continue to recruit top HS athletes to various universities to promote a specific brand. In effect, top HS athletes will have endorsement deals lined up before they commit.

Actually, as I think about this policy change more, the agents don’t even have to be shady. If the NCAA permits endorsement deals for athletes, the agents can begin negotiations with top HS athletes right out in the open so that signing ceremonies will include two agreements, a LOI and a shoe contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Play for Pay"? They already have that. It is called a Scholarship so they do not have to go 30K in debt for a years with of schooling. If I am not mistaken they get sneakers, uniforms, clothing connected to the university.... etc. While in college I paid for my tuition, my sneakers, my UCONN T's.... $15.99 or $19.99 for a shirt... They are being paid.

CL82

Reaction Score
"Play for Pay"? They already have that. It is called a Scholarship so they do not have to go 30K in debt for a years with of schooling. If I am not mistaken they get sneakers, uniforms, clothing connected to the university.... etc. While in college I paid for my tuition, my sneakers, my UCONN T's.... $15.99 or $19.99 for a shirt... They are being paid.
Plus grants, potentially, which is another $6,345 in 2020. This is a well meaning (maybe) idea that is going to have predictably bad consequences. Plus once the camel's nose of paying college players is under the tent, it won't be long to the entire camel is in.

Reaction Score
This coupled with the one time transfer rule will create de facto free agency for top players. Why should a player stay at a small college when a “Big State U“ booster will give you an advertising gig if you attend Big State?” I think it is a mistake, but it appears to be inevitable.
I imagine there will be ways for schools to back channel money to top players as inducements to play for their school. Think of the cash the B1G and $EC schools have, and what that might mean for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Should these policy changes be adopted by the NCAA it will exacerbate a system of “haves” and “have nots”. Top players at a handful of schools, in revenue sports like basketball & football, will reap the benefits of big money endorsements while most athletes will not.

I can forsee top college basketball players signing multi-million $ shoe contracts, including a young lady from MN who could become the face of college WBB. I wonder how Geno will deal with the possibility that his pg could be earning more than he does?

I think you are probably way overestimating the value of women basketball player shoe contracts, especially college players. I am pretty sure that not even Sabrina Ionescu's recent shoe deal with Nike is approaching Geno's salary.

CL82

Reaction Score
I imagine there will be ways for schools to back channel money to top players as inducements to play for their school. Think of the cash the B1G and $EC schools have, and what that might mean for recruiting.
Oh it won't be back channeled it will right out in the open but directly from boosters.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think you are probably way overestimating the value of women basketball player shoe contracts, especially college players. I am pretty sure that not even Sabrina Ionescu's recent shoe deal with Nike is approaching Geno's salary.
I also think that Geno wouldn't give a crap one way or the other. That's not his make up. He doesn't need to root for other people to do worse than him for him to feel successful.

@oldude

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I may be exaggerating a bit, but there is a very real possibility that someone like Paige could land a nice endorsement deal as a college undergraduate. All you have to do is watch her sign autographs for fans for hours after Hopkins games to realize that there could be thousands of young girls that will follow her every move once she gets to UConn, and they all buy shoes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I may be exaggerating a bit, but there is a very real possibility that someone like Paige could land a nice endorsement deal as a college undergraduate. All you have to do is watch her sign autographs for fans for hours after Hopkins games to realize that there could be thousands of young girls that will follow her every move once she gets to UConn, and they all buy shoes.

More leverage for Geno if he want's to make a point. :)

Reaction Score

Easy on the line and while her teammates run sprints until Geno gets tired. She stands next to Geno and watches. The team will police themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom