OT: NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I watched Texas vs Nebraska. It was a great match, particularly for a Longhorn fan, of course. But i thought it was really high level volleyball played by both teams.

Completely agree. I had the first matches on as background noise while doing a project, but that one drew me in. Technical and athletic ability of both teams was top notch.

Texas' 6'2"outside hitter, Lauren Eggleston, is one of the better athletes I've seen in action in quite some time. Absolute hammer of a spike, excellent server. Her temperment reminds me of Haley Jones. Competitive but upbeat.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Completely agree. I had the first matches on as background noise while doing a project, but that one drew me in. Technical and athletic ability of both teams was top notch.

Texas' 6'2"outside hitter, Lauren Eggleston, is one of the better athletes I've seen in action in quite some time. Absolute hammer of a spike, excellent server. Her temperment reminds me of Haley Jones. Competitive but upbeat.
Texas's outsides are unreal with their athleticism and power. Their middles too are outstanding and ridiculously athletic (especially Butler). I'm rooting for Wisconsin, but honestly Kentucky vs. Texas would be a more compelling title game IMO with both teams having insanely good hitters.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington looked okay to start, but then got too err prone. Kentucky is too good, can't play sloppy against them. Set one is about to be over. Don't see Dawgs digging out of a hole against UK either. So many freaking unforced hitting errors so far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just completely blew that challenge review. Clearly the UK player nicked it on the whiff, that was 4 contacts. What the hell were they looking at?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Get out the brooms, I think we're heading for a sweep.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I gave up. UW came back to win set 2 when they had no business winning, then turned around and let a set 3 slip away they had no business losing. What a bizarre set. I can't watch. Too crazy. At least they didn't get swept. What the hell, let's have a 4th straight 5 setter just to frazzle everybody's nerves even more.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've been wrong giving up on the Dawgs before, but here they are dead in the water again. Down 2-1 and trailing 16-10 in the 4th.

Sounds like the officiating has been abysmal today. For a National Semifinal, you really would hope to see better than that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, down 23-15 there's no possible way to come back. Too bad, but congrats to UK.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Texas just swept Wisconsin. Don't know if the Badgers are ever gonna break thru and win a Championship. From the Big 10 it's still only Penn St. and Nebraska that have accomplished it, and most of the Huskers' Titles occurred while they were in the Big 12.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm busy watching softball (my Huskies are roughing up UCLA's great pitching staff!), but the Championship is going on, ESPN2. Texas won set 1, Kentucky w/ a big lead in set 2.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a first time National Champ since Washington in 2005. That just changed. Kentucky beat Texas 3-1.

edit-- first ever for a SEC team as well. ESPN has been hoping for this for YEARS.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm a Texas fan and they were playing great volleyball, but Kentucky was just slightly better and I'm happy to seem them break through. I generally like seeing new teams reach the top. All the pieces really came together for Kentucky. When your setter is the NPOY, it usually means you have an awesome team. Getting a career match from Stumler tonight really put Kentucky over the hump.

Reaction Score
I'm a Texas fan and they were playing great volleyball, but Kentucky was just slightly better and happy to seem them break through. I generally like seeing new teams reach the top. All the pieces really came together for Kentucky. When your setter is the NPOY, it usually means you have an awesome team.
Agree. This is one of the best all-around Texas teams I have seen over the past decade. That makes Kentucky's play all the more impressive.

Reaction Score
Stumler was amazing for Kentucky and so were the Skinner sisters. Mary Wise of Florida must be feeling some type of way now with Kentucky being the first SEC team to win the NCAA title. I expect Texas to be preseason #1 next season with everyone except O'Brien returning.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm a Texas fan and they were playing great volleyball, but Kentucky was just slightly better and I'm happy to seem them break through. I generally like seeing new teams reach the top. All the pieces really came together for Kentucky. When your setter is the NPOY, it usually means you have an awesome team. Getting a career match from Stumler tonight really put Kentucky over the hump.

Stumler was amazing for Kentucky and so were the Skinner sisters. Mary Wise of Florida must be feeling some type of way now with Kentucky being the first SEC team to win the NCAA title. I expect Texas to be preseason #1 next season with everyone except O'Brien returning.

I agree that Stumler was on an absolute roll last night. One reason for that, of course, is Lilley was giving her the ball at exactly the right height, place and pace for Stumler to power, angle, etc. her slams. Kentucky also seems to be bringiing back most of it's players, but Lilley is not one of them. Advantage: Texas. However, whike O'Brien had a tought time serving, I liked what she did for the Longhorns in most of the other matches I saw. Someone needs to step up/be brought in, etc.

It will also be interesting to see how the B1G can do with something 'constituting" a normal schedule. While KY and Texas probably played too much, that seemed to be better than not enough.

Still, it was pulled off and that was some fine volleyball. Thought the Texas-Nebraska match was sublime.

Reaction Score
Kind of crazy that the SEC won its first volleyball national championship

Reaction Score
I agree that Stumler was on an absolute roll last night. One reason for that, of course, is Lilley was giving her the ball at exactly the right height, place and pace for Stumler to power, angle, etc. her slams. Kentucky also seems to be bringiing back most of it's players, but Lilley is not one of them. Advantage: Texas. However, whike O'Brien had a tought time serving, I liked what she did for the Longhorns in most of the other matches I saw. Someone needs to step up/be brought in, etc.

It will also be interesting to see how the B1G can do with something 'constituting" a normal schedule. While KY and Texas probably played too much, that seemed to be better than not enough.

Still, it was pulled off and that was some fine volleyball. Thought the Texas-Nebraska match was sublime.
It'll be interesting to see how Kentucky does next season without Lilley. She is possibly the best setter in the college game I have seen in awhile. Her pace and placement of the ball to her hitters really made the Wildcat offense to me the most efficient in the nation. I was also very impressed how they handled the pressure of the moment as if they were there before. It looked as if it didn't affect them at all.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Enjoyed that match. Of the 2, I was rooting for Texas, as I often do because of relatives in the Austin area, but they are not by any means one of my favorite teams.

Not a lot of schools with natty's, loved the chart with logos they put up. My wife couldn't quite get "LB" - Long Beach, but I didn't recognize the Pacific logo, which she did.

I still think of Volleyball primarily in terms of the PAC and B1G. Texas, certainly, and Florida (even Tennessee for a while) as individual teams, sure, but to me those are the 2 strong conferences. Wonder if that will shift with the SEC gaining ground as it did in Softball. A lot of money in that conference.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I still think of Volleyball primarily in terms of the PAC and B1G. Texas, certainly, and Florida (even Tennessee for a while) as individual teams, sure, but to me those are the 2 strong conferences. Wonder if that will shift with the SEC gaining ground as it did in Softball. A lot of money in that conference.
Definitely. SEC needs to do it consistently for a while to catch up. Need more than 1 or 2 programs being contenders as well.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see how Kentucky does next season without Lilley. She is possibly the best setter in the college game I have seen in awhile. Her pace and placement of the ball to her hitters really made the Wildcat offense to me the most efficient in the nation. I was also very impressed how they handled the pressure of the moment as if they were there before. It looked as if it didn't affect them at all.
Is Curry coming back too? She was instrumental defensively. Lilley was something else though, absolutely a magnificent setter with her reads and consistent location. Kentucky has fantastic hitters but I'm not sure I've seen a collegiate setter just nail almost every set in perfect tempo like Lilley does, and she consistently getting her hitters one on one opportunities. Texas should be the favorite going into next year, they have almost everyone back and some excellent defensive players. Eggleston/Fields are absolute beasts on the left and their middles are phenomenal. I think next year they're the heavy favorites with Wisconsin/Minnesota/Nebraska/Kentucky all losing major pieces.

Reaction Score
Is Curry coming back too? She was instrumental defensively. Lilley was something else though, absolutely a magnificent setter with her reads and consistent location. Kentucky has fantastic hitters but I'm not sure I've seen a collegiate setter just nail almost every set in perfect tempo like Lilley does, and she consistently getting her hitters one on one opportunities. Texas should be the favorite going into next year, they have almost everyone back and some excellent defensive players. Eggleston/Fields are absolute beasts on the left and their middles are phenomenal. I think next year they're the heavy favorites with Wisconsin/Minnesota/Nebraska/Kentucky all losing major pieces.
I believe Curry is a senior also and what a job she did too in the final. I hope that Lilley gets some serious consideration for the USNT. As for Texas, I wonder if they can get over the hump. I feel as if they continue to underachieve with all the talent they have but at least they made it to the final this season.

Reaction Score
Kind of crazy that the SEC won its first volleyball national championship
Yes, but only kind of. The sport is played at a very low level in many of the high schools throughout much of the SEC footprint compared to the PAC12 and B1G, the two dominant conferences. That's changing some now, but it's been a slow process of building for a lot of teams.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I believe Curry is a senior also and what a job she did too in the final. I hope that Lilley gets some serious consideration for the USNT. As for Texas, I wonder if they can get over the hump. I feel as if they continue to underachieve with all the talent they have but at least they made it to the final this season.
I think Texas will get there if they build off this season. Their defense/passing was much improved this year (and last year), and I thought despite not winning it all, they in no way underachieved this season. They are solid at libero/setting positions and elite on the outside and in the middle. I'm just glad we get to see more volleyball in 4 months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom