NCAA: What The ... or Explain This Logic To Me | The Boneyard

NCAA: What The ... or Explain This Logic To Me

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the NCAA's Statistician's Manual "Basic Interpretations" 3 Shooting Accuracy it states in part: —"A player should not be charged for a shot from the field or from the free-throw line influenced by the illegal actions of himself or herself, teammates or opponents, unless the shot results in a field goal or free throw made."

Read it a couple of times. It really says you can't charge a player for an attempt, if the player cheated, unless the shot was successful. So, you get dinged for an honest effort, but no harm for an illegal miss. This so sounds like the NCAA!

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2017EZ.pdf

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This just means if you're fouled on a missed shot attempt, you don't get charged with the attempt. If you make the shot on an "and-one," then you get credited for the make. If you get called for an offensive foul, no shot attempt either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This just means if you're fouled on a missed shot attempt, you don't get charged with the attempt. If you make the shot on an "and-one," then you get credited for the make. If you get called for an offensive foul, no shot attempt either.
Except the part about "from the free-throw line".

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That just means if anyone steps into the neutral area (the lane) before the shot leaves the person's hand. If the shooting team steps in first the shot if made is nullified. If the opposing team is guilty the shot counts. If the shot is missed it's a do over.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it is a little more complicated than that - what they are saying is if the shot is waved off for an infraction it never happened, but if the infraction and the shot occurred simultaneously and the refs award the basket or free throw, then you get credit for it, if it isn't awarded you don't get credited with a shot attempt. Most often occurance would be for a FT with a lane violation against your opponent - if you make the shot anyway, it counts, if you miss you get another shot and are not charged a missed foul shot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Yes, I didn't delve into the free-throw scenarios, but I thought it would go without saying that the free thrower isn't charged with the miss if the free throw is waved off for a lane violation.

Reaction Score
In the NCAA's Statistician's Manual "Basic Interpretations" 3 Shooting Accuracy it states in part: —"A player should not be charged for a shot from the field or from the free-throw line influenced by the illegal actions of himself or herself, teammates or opponents, unless the shot results in a field goal or free throw made."

Read it a couple of times. It really says you can't charge a player for an attempt, if the player cheated, unless the shot was successful. So, you get dinged for an honest effort, but no harm for an illegal miss. This so sounds like the NCAA!

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2017EZ.pdf
It's axiomatic.

Reaction Score
But what if you step out of bounds, are fouled(Flagrantly), after the 24 second clock expires, then the quarter ends but your shot goes in. What happens then? They decide you get the basket and a foul shot, but during the shot, with your foot over the line, an opposing player blocks your shot as she steps over the line and then fouls you and gets a technical called on her. The coach runs onto the court and gets a technical called on her. What happens then? How many shots does who get, which team gets the ball to start the next quarter and which way will the possession arrow be pointing? :D:):D:) I'm going to get some coffee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom