NCAA Update on Corruption Trials | The Boneyard

NCAA Update on Corruption Trials

Reaction Score
NCAA president Mark Emmert said information revealed in federal college basketball corruption trials will be useful in current or future investigations of universities, but that those probes likely won't be completed by the end of the 2018-19 season.

Emmert said the NCAA's enforcement wing has "the manpower and the willpower" to investigate schools and that the NCAA must ensure schools are holding themselves accountable. The NCAA wants to create a panel to oversee complex, high-profile infractions cases. The panel will be made up of "people with judicial backgrounds or arbitration backgrounds," Emmert said, and will report to five new members of the NCAA's board of governors who won't be affiliated with any schools.

The panel wouldn't be in place until August.

Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey, also speaking at the IAF Forum, said there's surprise in the coaching community that more action hasn't been taken by schools against those mentioned in the October trial.
"As a profession, coaches look at it and say, 'Wow, that's interesting,' maybe there should be more ineligible guys," Brey said. "But I sense that is coming."

Emmert: NCAA will use corruption trial info

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
NCAA president Mark Emmert said information revealed in federal college basketball corruption trials will be useful in current or future investigations of universities, but that those probes likely won't be completed by the end of the 2018-19 season.

Emmert said the NCAA's enforcement wing has "the manpower and the willpower"** to investigate schools and that the NCAA must ensure schools are holding themselves accountable. The NCAA wants to create a panel to oversee complex, high-profile infractions cases. The panel will be made up of "people with judicial backgrounds or arbitration backgrounds," Emmert said, and will report to five new members of the NCAA's board of governors who won't be affiliated with any schools.

The panel wouldn't be in place until August.

Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey, also speaking at the IAF Forum, said there's surprise in the coaching community that more action hasn't been taken by schools against those mentioned in the October trial.
"As a profession, coaches look at it and say, 'Wow, that's interesting,' maybe there should be more ineligible guys," Brey said. "But I sense that is coming."

Emmert: NCAA will use corruption trial info
** manpower and willpower only applicable to select schools. Terms and conditions may vary

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Louisville and Arizona have the top 2 classes in the country coming in next year. Un-freaking-believable that this hasn’t hurt them. I don’t understand it. They must have assurances that there won’t be penalties? We lost multiple scholarships and missed out on the tournament for far less.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How many more pointless panels and committees does the NCAA need?

Exactly what I was going to say. The sole purpose of these panels/committees is to publicly claim, "look, we are doing something about this!", while they continue to accomplish nothing behind the scenes so as not to upset the apple cart.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
How many more pointless panels and committees does the NCAA need?
Well, there's the "Secret Keep digging in the UConn files 24/7 Committee", and the official "Bury the Sins, not the Sinners Panel for Carolina and Duke."

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It really is remarkable how dirty men's hoops has become. The cheaters have gotten so good at cheating that it's untraceable unless someone involved flips. The NCAA knows it and doesn't seem to have any interest in upsetting the apple cart.
They haven’t gotten good. They have their people on the inside of the NCAA and media.

Reaction Score
Don’t Pitt down my back and tell me it’s raining

Reaction Score
Yeah I'll file this under "let's delay until everyone forgets about it"
Yea, pretty much. Then when it comes time they’ll say “well these kids weren’t involved, why blame them?” As UConn nation collectively shakes their heads.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Prediction: On Friday, July 5th (around 4PM ET), the NCAA will release a statement saying that their independent study could find no wrongdoing for most power conference members. Louisville will get a 15 minute probationary period for being low hanging fruit.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading once I saw this was from Emmert...

If Lousiville basketball does not get the death penalty, then NCAA enforcement is a complete joke and only cares about 1 thing - money.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading once I saw this was from Emmert...

If Lousiville basketball does not get the death penalty, then NCAA enforcement is a complete joke and only cares about 1 thing - money.
As much as I bleed blue and absolutely love UConn basketball, it’s getting harder and harder to root for college basketball. I don’t think there’s any chance a hot commodity like Mack would have gone to Louisville without assurances that the school wouldn’t be in serious jeopardy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom