NCAA - the distrurbing pale & atonal Emmert | The Boneyard

NCAA - the distrurbing pale & atonal Emmert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A global takedown of the NCAA in the Washington Post. The chorus is getting louder. Click for the specific takedown of Emmert ("disturbingly pale & atonal", compared unfavorably to water)* and incompetent response to UNC debacle (TOTAL PARALYSIS).

Is it wrong that UConn getting screwed by the money-grabbing conference realignment is a reason that I root for the entire NCAA to be brought to its knees?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...1aa64e-6905-11e4-b053-65cea7903f2e_story.html

*Going forward I think a boneyard decree should be every mention of Mark Emmert has to be written; "The disturbingly pale and atonal phony lawman Mark Emmert".

Reaction Score
Too bad South Park already ripped the NCAA a couple seasons ago; Emmert is even more like a robot than Goodell

Reaction Score
I don't root for the NCAA to be torn down because I'm scared of what will replace it. Reminds me of the Arab Spring. Everyone feels great that these old dictators need to be taken down, but is anyone considering that what replaces it is going to be worse? ESPECIALLY if you are not a huge revenue producing, Power 5 conference member?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't like the NCAA! It is capricious and inconsistent. Worse, some of us are aware that it can enforce punishment because some of it's members have personal agendas. It's interesting that few people have seen the possibility of a correlation in the apr legislation and it's retroactive application at the same time the NCAA dismissed the UNC problem. Coincidence?

I'm not sure I can support this author. Too simplified and over the top. It's a stretch to argue the NCAA blackmailed Penn State. The emails debated the authority regarding the NCAA. They may have over reached in this case but it isn't black and white.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't root for the NCAA to be torn down because I'm scared of what will replace it. Reminds me of the Arab Spring. Everyone feels great that these old dictators need to be taken down, but is anyone considering that what replaces it is going to be worse? ESPECIALLY if you are not a huge revenue producing, Power 5 conference member?
The article discusses what a replacement might be like. I suspect the reality would be something short of the ideal they describe, but the changes outlined would disproportionately affect power conferences. Especially salary caps on AD's, coaches, and presidents? No athlete only facilities allowed? These are the foundations of the current P5 dominated system!

Reaction Score
Don't like the NCAA! It is capricious and inconsistent. Worse, some of us are aware that it can enforce punishment because some of it's members have personal agendas. It's interesting that few people have seen the possibility of a correlation in the apr legislation and it's retroactive application at the same time the NCAA dismissed the UNC problem. Coincidence?

I'm not sure I can support this author. Too simplified and over the top. It's a stretch to argue the NCAA blackmailed Penn State. The emails debated the authority regarding the NCAA. They may have over reached in this case but it isn't black and white.

I disagree with you on this.

When the punishment came down, I couldn't understand the $6 million at all. The 4 year football ban and 50% scholarship reduction was appropriate for the football and sports side, but why fork over tuition and tax money to the NCAA? If you're going to do that, it should be to the federal gov't as penalty. Not to line the pockets of the NCAA. Emmert's salary skyrocketed. In this period, PSU actually shut down departments and programs that were taking $1m a year in the budget.

I do think you can easily build a better organization than the NCAA if there were some real regulating teeth behind it, but this would never pass in the south.

Reaction Score
The article discusses what a replacement might be like. I suspect the reality would be something short of the ideal they describe, but the changes outlined would disproportionately affect power conferences. Especially salary caps on AD's, coaches, and presidents? No athlete only facilities allowed? These are the foundations of the current P5 dominated system!

I would definitely agree with those conditions, but I have a feeling the "new" NCAA would be a tool of the P5 to allow them to do whatever it is they'd like.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

When the punishment came down, I couldn't understand the $6 million at all. The 4 year football ban and 50% scholarship reduction was appropriate for the football and sports side, but why fork over tuition and tax money to the NCAA? If you're going to do that, it should be to the federal gov't as penalty. Not to line the pockets of the NCAA. Emmert's salary skyrocketed. In this period, PSU actually shut down departments and programs that were taking $1m a year in the budget.

I do think you can easily build a better organization than the NCAA if there were some real regulating teeth behind it, but this would never pass in the south.

We're in agreement. My point was it's an abuse of authority as opposed to black mail. Nonetheless Emmert needs to go. After reading all the things you've posted regarding the improprieties in the past, I'm not holding my breath that things won't ever change even if he was ousted.. There's too much wrong about the entire system and it's only gotten worse.

Even though we know there is a veto power preventing "real" change I would like to pick your mind. What type of organization can be created? If it was given some real regulating teeth how can things be fairly evaluated given that there is quite a range of standards between one universities and even between programs within universities? Does this organization eliminate the reliance on self reporting?

Edit: Never mind. The Drake group addresses this. Won't eliminate cheating but it gets things back to where they were before media money went through the roof.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're in agreement. My point was it's an abuse of authority as opposed to black mail. Nonetheless Emmert needs to go. After reading all the things you've posted regarding the improprieties in the past, I'm not holding my breath that things won't ever change even if he was ousted.. There's too much wrong about the entire system and it's only gotten worse.

Even though we know there is a veto power preventing "real" change I would like to pick your mind. What type of organization can be created? If it was given some real regulating teeth how can things be fairly evaluated given that there is quite a range of standards between one universities and even between programs within universities? Does this organization eliminate the reliance on self reporting?

Edit: Never mind. The Drake group addresses this. Won't eliminate cheating but it gets things back to where they were before media money went through the roof.

Get rid of APR and GSR and install minimal standards for admission nationwide. If students are admitted below those levels, give them a redshirt year. Also, reduce class requirements in-season (Fall for football, Spring for basketball). It can be done.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Quick question. Is the NCAA actively investigating UNC? Are we just waiting on a verdict of what the penalty is going to be? Where does this stand with the NCAA?

Former UNC football player Tydeke Powell said yesterday that the basketball players would have girls write papers for them then they would all "run the train" on them and Butch Davis told the players "youre not here to get an education, if you wanted and education you should have went to Harvard". WTF? This is getting ridiculous.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know 08 you are right to be concerned but without the NCAA sucking up all the value out of the tourney, it becomes a more desirable product for someone to control. I suspect that having the team with the most NC's over last the decade and a half participating, or at least not participating in a rival tournament, might be a good thing. Of course that view does run a foul of the cardinal rule (pun intended) of realignment, that all change must screw over UConn.

Reaction Score
Sadly none of us can legitimately claim that comparing this to the Arab spring is over-the-top.

Issues are certainly gray and there is likely no fair or reasonable solution that doesn't end college sports as we know it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Ideally, the $6m should have gone to organizations that are working with victims of abuse. PSU may have contributed already, but I don't see any reason why all fines shouldn't benefit the issue at hand.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Love to hear this. Even people on this inside can see what every one else already knows:

Asked if he thought men's basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the fake classes, Powell said, "You know he know, man. Roy Williams is a snake."

Also:

"Listen, let me tell you this right here. One thing about Carolina, man, if you ain't got a class with a basketball player, you [better] go find one. If you got one with [them], you know it's an A ... Butch Davis kinda turned it around, but we still didn't get no respect. But when these guys, when you walked into class and saw a basketball player, if you dropped that class, I mean you were just ignorant, man."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Ideally, the $6m should have gone to organizations that are working with victims of abuse. PSU may have contributed already, but I don't see any reason why all fines shouldn't benefit the issue at hand.

The Boneyard hereby fines intlzncster $2000 for an inadequate number of vowels in his username. The money will be used to purchase vowels from Pat Sajak to assist future posters with vowel deficiencies.

Wait, you mean I can't do that? I have no authority to fine another poster and collect money from him to use as I see fit?

Same as the NCAA, in the Penn State case.

And the leaked emails specifically mentioned bluffing PSU into accepting the penalties. There is no NCAA jurisdiction in matter and no defense of their actions. They basically shook down the State of PA for $60M.

It's the sole reason the other penalties have been lifted. They hope to avoid the lawsuits and testifying in the same.

Reaction Score

I made an error. It was $60 million. And yes, PSU contributed millions to child abuse centers outside of the NCAA money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom