NCAA Tells You How To Think About HBO Docu | The Boneyard

NCAA Tells You How To Think About HBO Docu

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let's not be too cynical. It's not bad. The job of a TV network is to build tension and expectation for the next installment. If TV networks can make the coming attractions for a 7 part series on the Kennedy assassination look like a movie trailer, they can do it for this. As for the article itself, it seemed very complimentary. They even called the incident where CD intervened to prevent Geno from getting T'd up "humorous". I mean he did say to the ref "What kind of (expletive) is that?", and it didn't look like Geno was grinning at the time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For all the complaining coming through on the March to Madness thread, I think you get an idea of what the rest of the world thinks about the HBO series from the NCAA write-up of the first episode. These are the people the series was made for - people interested in sports, and in women's basketball, but who are not fanatic UConn fans. This is an introduction to and a peek behind the curtain of this phenomenon that rules the college game. And they are impressed.

UConn fans forget that the rest of women's sports fans in general and WCBB fans specifically that do not bleed national flag blue are used to occasionally getting their team's games on TV with production qualities akin to HS tournament levels - single camera, local level analysts, bad sound, dead airtime, etc. If they are lucky, they get a game or two broadcast using B team ESPN or CBS crews. They didn't have CPTV for the last 20 years, and they certainly haven't had SNY with its really high quality production values. They have not had the Geno show and the Husky's All Access shows ten times each season to get insights into their team. And they didn't have ESPN produce a series of segments on their team either. So for all those fans, this is BIG NEWS. This is amazing to see a national broadcast with superb production values devoted to any women's sport. This is unique. The only thing to compare it to is things like NFL films programs - it is better than the stuff produced for Alabama football, or Kentucky basketball, and it is all about a women's sports team! That just doesn't happen!

And here we sit criticizing the actual content. We are a little jaded. SNY has spoiled us. And we don't acknowledge just how good SNY has been, or notice it even now. The reason we complain is because we have become used to the really high production values on SNY broadcasts and specials, so HBO is just more of the same, and in their one hour to date, they did not fully cover the past four months in the depth that we already have seen on SNY, and they didn't shoehorn in all the players and coaches, and all the important moments of those four months. And there really weren't enough new insights into the team, because between the print contingent and SNY we know just about everything there is to know about anything to do with the team.

I do think it is worth taking a step back, and realizing how particularly blessed we are. That we follow the best team that has ever been, that is covered in more depth and with more quality by print and broadcast media than any other women's team in the world, and most men's college teams in football or basketball.

Reaction Score
What the hell was that? In terms of style, it appears to have been written by an overeager intern at NCAA. It alternates between being the equivalent of a book report -- describing all the action -- and an overly gushy book review. At one point, the writer actually describes one scene in the program as "awesome." I mean, who wrote this, Sarah Palin?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For all the complaining coming through on the March to Madness thread, I think you get an idea of what the rest of the world thinks about the HBO series from the NCAA write-up of the first episode. These are the people the series was made for - people interested in sports, and in women's basketball, but who are not fanatic UConn fans. This is an introduction to and a peek behind the curtain of this phenomenon that rules the college game. And they are impressed.

UConn fans forget that the rest of women's sports fans in general and WCBB fans specifically that do not bleed national flag blue are used to occasionally getting their team's games on TV with production qualities akin to HS tournament levels - single camera, local level analysts, bad sound, dead airtime, etc. If they are lucky, they get a game or two broadcast using B team ESPN or CBS crews. They didn't have CPTV for the last 20 years, and they certainly haven't had SNY with its really high quality production values. They have not had the Geno show and the Husky's All Access shows ten times each season to get insights into their team. And they didn't have ESPN produce a series of segments on their team either. So for all those fans, this is BIG NEWS. This is amazing to see a national broadcast with superb production values devoted to any women's sport. This is unique. The only thing to compare it to is things like NFL films programs - it is better than the stuff produced for Alabama football, or Kentucky basketball, and it is all about a women's sports team! That just doesn't happen!

And here we sit criticizing the actual content. We are a little jaded. SNY has spoiled us. And we don't acknowledge just how good SNY has been, or notice it even now. The reason we complain is because we have become used to the really high production values on SNY broadcasts and specials, so HBO is just more of the same, and in their one hour to date, they did not fully cover the past four months in the depth that we already have seen on SNY, and they didn't shoehorn in all the players and coaches, and all the important moments of those four months. And there really weren't enough new insights into the team, because between the print contingent and SNY we know just about everything there is to know about anything to do with the team.

I do think it is worth taking a step back, and realizing how particularly blessed we are. That we follow the best team that has ever been, that is covered in more depth and with more quality by print and broadcast media than any other women's team in the world, and most men's college teams in football or basketball.

Just.Flat.Nailed.It. Great post, UC!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am no apologist for the NCAA, but they would have been criticized if they had ignored the production, and they do look a little odd having commented on it. Poor dears.

I was trying to have an attention grabber headline. Did not mean to be mean or snippy. I like what they wrote.

Reaction Score
What the hell was that? In terms of style, it appears to have been written by an overeager intern at NCAA. It alternates between being the equivalent of a book report -- describing all the action -- and an overly gushy book review. At one point, the writer actually describes one scene in the program as "awesome." I mean, who wrote this, Sarah Palin?

Yo tomcat - I agree with your multiple descriptions of the writing style. You nailed it with the book report and book review analogy. However, Beth Maiman wrote the article. Sarah Palin was a small town girl who played BB and made her family proud by becoming the Governor of Alaska. It's unbecoming to degrade women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom