NCAA surveying members about basketball tourney selectors, payouts (USAT) | The Boneyard

NCAA surveying members about basketball tourney selectors, payouts (USAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Long read but: NCAA surveying members about basketball tourney selectors, payouts

>>The NCAA is surveying its Division I membership about potential changes to the composition of the committee that selects teams for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.The prospect of such changes – as well as a proposed change in how the NCAA distributes tournament revenues to Division I members – is alarming some athletics directors and conference commissioners within the Football Championship Subdivision and the segment of Division I schools that do not have football teams.<<

>>The Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee has asked Division I members to respond to a survey concerning possible changes to the composition of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, according to a presentation Monday by Hofstra athletics director Jeff Hathaway, a member of the oversight committee. The survey includes the notion of expanding the selection committee, which determines the men’s basketball tournament field, from its current 10 members to either 11 or 12 and/or giving permanent seats on the committee to one representative from each of the Power Five conferences. It’s also possible that composition of the committee will be based on representation from five regions of the country rather than the current four.<<

>>Another membership survey has come from a working group of school officials that has been discussing the manner in which the NCAA annually distributes revenue to Division I schools – especially the incremental additional money the NCAA will be distributing from future scheduled increases in TV rights fees.

Distributions will still be substantially driven by schools’ performance in the NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament. But under one plan about which the membership is currently being surveyed, schools’ shares of money from future increases could be driven by their Academic Performance Rate (APR) figures, their Graduation Success Rate (GSR) figures and a comparison of athletes’ Federal graduation rate figures to those of all students.>>

... and: NABC to study NCAA tournament selection, seeding process

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
If they really do that with APR and GSR....

Reaction Score
Long read but: NCAA surveying members about basketball tourney selectors, payouts

>>The NCAA is surveying its Division I membership about potential changes to the composition of the committee that selects teams for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.The prospect of such changes – as well as a proposed change in how the NCAA distributes tournament revenues to Division I members – is alarming some athletics directors and conference commissioners within the Football Championship Subdivision and the segment of Division I schools that do not have football teams.<<

>>The Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee has asked Division I members to respond to a survey concerning possible changes to the composition of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, according to a presentation Monday by Hofstra athletics director Jeff Hathaway, a member of the oversight committee. The survey includes the notion of expanding the selection committee, which determines the men’s basketball tournament field, from its current 10 members to either 11 or 12 and/or giving permanent seats on the committee to one representative from each of the Power Five conferences. It’s also possible that composition of the committee will be based on representation from five regions of the country rather than the current four.<<

>>Another membership survey has come from a working group of school officials that has been discussing the manner in which the NCAA annually distributes revenue to Division I schools – especially the incremental additional money the NCAA will be distributing from future scheduled increases in TV rights fees.

Distributions will still be substantially driven by schools’ performance in the NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament. But under one plan about which the membership is currently being surveyed, schools’ shares of money from future increases could be driven by their Academic Performance Rate (APR) figures, their Graduation Success Rate (GSR) figures and a comparison of athletes’ Federal graduation rate figures to those of all students.>>

... and: NABC to study NCAA tournament selection, seeding process
Is this a sneaky way for the rich to get richer? A basketball centric conference like the Big East does not get a seat but the SEC does?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
No American conference representative. Looks great. Probably headed towards a P5 madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom