NCAA Should Combine Men's and Women's Tournaments | The Boneyard

NCAA Should Combine Men's and Women's Tournaments

Reaction Score

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What would your propose for the four Semi-Final Games? Would you play the Women's Games in the Afternoon or play an alternate men's/women's games. Any other suggestions?

I do like the Idea of combining the Final Fours. I suspect those that run the Men's tournament will never agree.
The men's game starts at 9:00 usually anyway. I'm fine with a 7:00 pm ET start.

Reaction Score
What would your propose for the four Semi-Final Games? Would you play the Women's Games in the Afternoon or play an alternate men's/women's games. Any other suggestions?

I do like the Idea of combining the Final Fours. I suspect those that run the Men's tournament will never agree.
Yeah; they would have to share their weight rooms. LOL

Reaction Score
So, this brings up a whole new issue for the NCAA to ponder. Can a player get another year of eligibility if she misses a year on maternity leave.

Reaction Score
You couldn't play the two finals on the same day let alone back to back in prime time. The post-game celebration and cleanup would make that impossible.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Power plays in the colleges

Not sure this is the solution. This is an old, however fascinating read on the NAIA, AIAW, and how the NCAA took over.

An interesting quote: "The NCAA says it wants to bestow visibility, money, and the NCAA name -- them name in college sports -- on women. Big-time sports, just like the men."

Now fast forward to 2021 and think about all the disparity between the tournaments.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So, this brings up a whole new issue for the NCAA to ponder. Can a player get another year of eligibility if she misses a year on maternity leave.

A Student-Athlete Whose Athletic Career is Interrupted Due to a Pregnancy-Related Condition Will Typically Be Entitled to a Waiver to Extend Her Athletic Career.

NCAA bylaws offer student-athletes extensions that may apply during a student’s athletic career, typically referred to as a “red-shirted” year. Under these rules, student-athletes may be granted an additional year of competition due to “hardship.” These rules allow student-athletes to complete four seasons of competition during five consecutive calendar years after initial full time collegiate enrollment for Division I or four seasons of participation during the first 10 semesters or 15 quarters in which the student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in at least a minimum full-time program of studies for Divisions II and III. In addition, NCAA bylaws specifically permit member institutions to approve an extra one-year extension of the five-year period or 10- semester/15- quarter period of eligibility for a female student-athlete due to her pregnancy. The bylaw allows pregnant student-athletes to complete four years of competition within six years or 12 semesters/18 quarters. A pregnant student-athlete who competed during, but did not complete the season, may be granted a hardship waiver and be awarded an additional season of competition, provided there is contemporaneous medical documentation that indicates the student-athlete was unable to compete for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Perhaps the Final Four is Workable as there aren't as many games. The Women would probably not get the Premiere Starting Times for their games.
Combining the final four would work with some creative marketing strategy. The women could play on Friday and Sunday. The men on Saturday and Monday with exclusive broadcast rights sold for that weekend to the highest bidder. Tournament passes for all 5 games could be sold at a reasonable price to make a profit and make them attractive.

Reaction Score

Perhaps the Final Four is Workable as there aren't as many games. The Women would probably not get the Premiere Starting Times for their games.
I just dont know how they could pull it off logistically; even if limited to the Final Four, my guess is too few tickets would be available to accommodate all of the college basketball fans that would wish to attend (though I'm not sure what the typical ticket sales are for the women's final four) as I believe the men's tourney is usually sold out. If they move the location to one of the major domed venues they would end up with many unhappy fans who end up with lousy seats.

Reaction Score
This sounds to me like the answer to a question that no one is asking. Let the NCAA run a decent and equal women's tournament with the same promotions as the men's tournament. Let ESPN take the lead in seeing that this happens, rather than sitting back and okaying anything the NCAA says. Only then should anyone think of combining the two.,

Why's because combining the two, without getting the women's tournament up to equal level with the men's. guarantees that the men's tournament will swamp the women's. The men will get all the publicity and the women will get lost in the sauce.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
A TERRIBLE idea.............I guess there is not much to write, or talk about, these days!

Reaction Score
I'd like to see some conference all-star games, but where would you fit them in. It would help settle....the best conference argument from another perspective. Maybe eight conferences battle it out in a tourney between Christmas and New Years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom