NCAA Shot Chart Tool | The Boneyard

NCAA Shot Chart Tool

Reaction Score
Found this the other day and thought Boneyard statheads would appreciate: Shot Chart - The Stepien

By the numbers, it appears they only have data through the Arizona game (missing Lafayette, FSU and Manhattan)

jalen adams.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, this is cool.

CV shooting 47% on NBA 3's and Jalen shooting 81% at the rim stick out to me at first glance. Will def be looking more though.

Reaction Score
This is awesome. Thanks.

Jalen is really good at the rim. Those short MR shots where he avoid the contact is bad.

Rique needs to get better at the rim.

Really interesting stuff.

Reaction Score
Low sample size, but can we get Alterique more shots on the Right Wing? 100% is pretty good..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, Polley has to avoid the left side of the court and Gilbert has to avoid the right side of the court up top, but he's great at the right wing...at least when taking 3s.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This is awesome. Thanks.

Jalen is really good at the rim. Those short MR shots where he avoid the contact is bad.

Rique needs to get better at the rim.

Really interesting stuff.

Jalen is too good at the rim (if that’s such a thing). Would love for him to draw contact better and get to the line more.

Reaction Score
Other thoughs from looking at these...

- Brendan Adams has been hot garbage for someone deemed a "shooter." He's gotta raise that set point, or he'll never be as effective as he could be.

- Polley is very effective when he can get to the rim. Seems like he always makes a shot or gets fouled. At his size, that could be a HUGE point of development for him. 3s and layups? That's Hurley basketball.

- Christian needs to get to the rim more. 1/3 of his attempts at the rim is way too low.

- Rique is 3/6 on floaters. I'd like to see him keep developing that. I do like the amount he's getting to the rim, just needs to adjust to college size shot blockers right now.

- We need to cut out the long 2s as a team. Defenses are forcing us into them. Might not have the skill and spacing to do anything about that yet.

Reaction Score
AG has a very cold spot from the arc at the right of the key.

Reaction Score
More thoughts/questions:

-How are shots when the player is fouled handled in these spray charts? They aren’t shown, right? CV gets fouled a lot on his drives so i’d be curious to see those numbers put in somehow

-CV is a pretty damn good shooter from straight away +\- 30-40 degrees

-as a team, our midrange game is not good. I assume this makes it much easier for teams to develop defensive strategy vs us...

*edit—last comment isn’t exactly true. When I tallied up numbers for JA, AG, TS, & Tyler Phommachanh, they are shooting 46% from short MR and 51% from long MR. These are pretty good. CV needs to get better at MR (2/11).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen is too good at the rim (if that’s such a thing). Would love for him to draw contact better and get to the line more.

Jalen’s FG% at the rim is exactly the same as his FT%. Which is crazy, and would SEEM to suggest that a trip to the charity stripe would net the same number of expected points as avoiding contact and taking the shot from the floor. Still, I completely agree it still makes sense for him to draw more contact:

(A) It gives him a chance for an “and 1,” which ups the value of drawing contact. I would imagine his skill near the rim should translate into a better than average rate of hitting shots while getting fouled.

(B) His 81% FG at the rim includes a bunch of uncontested shots. I’d imagine his % while acrobatically avoiding contact is actually a few notches lower.

(C) Drawing fouls is good in and of itself, both to put the other team in foul trouble and to get us to the double bonus quicker (particularly important for this team given the teams FT shooting woes). Every time Jalen gets fouled shooting is one less chance for someone else to wind up at the line missing the front end of a 1-and-1.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
More thoughts/questions:

-How are shots when the player is fouled handled in these spray charts? They aren’t shown, right? CV gets fouled a lot on his drives so i’d be curious to see those numbers put in somehow

If its a foul it isn't in the chart unless he made the shot for an and-1 opportunity, same as the scoring rule.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Get AG more wing three looks. Makes sense those would be easier for him given the whole "getting used to having shoulders again" thing.

Reaction Score
Get AG more wing three looks. Makes sense those would be easier for him given the whole "getting used to having shoulders again" thing.

They're all probably also catch and shoot instead of off the dribble.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They're all probably also catch and shoot instead of off the dribble.

Need him to become like Curry. Quick pull off the dribble.

Reaction Score
Need him to become like Curry. Quick pull off the dribble.

Curry is specifically amazing because he makes those. We probably shouldn't want Gilbert to attempt them.

Only 14 guys in the whole NBA are shooting at least 35% on at least 2 pull up 3-point attempts a game. Naturally Curry leads the league at 45%. The list is like 11 All-Stars (or future ones), Tim Hardaway Jr, Eric Bledsoe, and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Players Pull Up

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Curry is specifically amazing because he makes those. We probably shouldn't want Gilbert to attempt them.

Only 14 guys in the whole NBA are shooting at least 35% on at least 2 pull up 3-point attempts a game. Naturally Curry leads the league at 45%. The list is like 11 All-Stars (or future ones), Tim Hardaway Jr, Eric Bledsoe, and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Players Pull Up

This is all true, and not saying he should live off them, but the NCAA 3 is shorter. Bazz had this in his arsenal in college. It just makes you more dangerous on your drives when they don't know if you'll pull up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom