NCAA red shirt rule | The Boneyard

NCAA red shirt rule

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This year, college basketball has been incredible to watch.

5th year seniors have helped elevate the play on the court across D1.

So excited for the tournament. Should be tons of mid majors with super seniors making runs.

I’d love to see the NCAA consider changes to the redshirt rules like they did for football.

Allow true freshmen to play in X number of games and retain redshirt availability.

More 5th year players (who got some real game experience as a RS frosh) would add more parity to the college game and make it a better product overall.

Would probably have to increase scholarship limits to 14 or possibly 15, but I think that’s a good thing for student athletes.

Win-win for everyone.

Thoughts?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A change to the rules would probably lead to more minutes in the cupcake games for guys like Johnson and Diggins as coaching staffs try to evaluate if their freshmen could be year 1 contributors or if they need to take a redshirt year.

Reaction Score
It was just discussed by the NCAA and shot down, a 4 game redshirt rule was proposed and subsequently denied. I think it should be done and set somewhere around 7 or 8 games

Reaction Score
It was just discussed by the NCAA and shot down, a 4 game redshirt rule was proposed and subsequently denied. I think it should be done and set somewhere around 7 or 8 games
It's a slippery slope...why 4 games or in your case 8....why not 9...or 12?? IMO, the Medical RS makes sense if you get hurt only playing a small % of games, but the current rule is clear and clean. Kids can practice...if they were good enough to play, they wouldn't be redshirting...this isn't mlb and service time manipulatioin

Why not just let the kids play 5 years, or 7 years...they can get a PHD..

Reaction Score
It's a slippery slope...why 4 games or in your case 8....why not 9...or 12?? IMO, the Medical RS makes sense if you get hurt only playing a small % of games, but the current rule is clear and clean. Kids can practice...if they were good enough to play, they wouldn't be redshirting...this isn't mlb and service time manipulatioin

Then pick a different number that makes you happy, if the NCAA decided 9 or 12 that's fine with me too. How did the NCAA decide 4 for football? It's a joke that playing 1 game takes away a whole year of eligibility for basketball

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

If someone can handle D1 athletics while getting a PhD I say let them. Couldn't be me though.

Reaction Score

Not to pick on you, but calling something a slippery slope is usually a sign of a lazy argument, and this case is not an exception. Someone or a group of someones picks a number and it's done. Where is the slippery slope in that scenario?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

So excited for the tournament. Should be tons of mid majors with super seniors making runs.

I’d love to see the NCAA consider changes to the redshirt rules like they did for football.

Allow true freshmen to play in X number of games and retain redshirt availability.

More 5th year players (who got some real game experience as a RS frosh) would add more parity to the college game and make it a better product overall.

Would probably have to increase scholarship limits to 14 or possibly 15, but I think that’s a good thing for student athletes.

Win-win for everyone.

Thoughts?
Doesn’t seem like a ton of downside to more lenient redshirting.

On your other point, I think we will see mid majors underperform what they’ve done in the past with the new transfer rules. Ie great mid major players will be plucked up every year by high majors, like in this past offseason. Players will treat playing at a mid major as an audition for high majors, and high majors will gladly give top mid major players scholarships to plug immediate roster needs.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on you, but calling something a slippery slope is usually a sign of a lazy argument, and this case is not an exception. Someone or a group of someones picks a number and it's done. Where is the slippery slope in that scenario?
It’s pretty obvious. Someone suggested 8. Then why not 9. If 9 why not 10…. Pretty much a classical slippery slope argument.

U play. No redshirt no slippery slope

Reaction Score
Then pick a different number that makes you happy, if the NCAA decided 9 or 12 that's fine with me too. How did the NCAA decide 4 for football? It's a joke that playing 1 game takes away a whole year of eligibility for basketball
I thought the 4 games was for a medical Rs but I could be wrong as I don’t follow it closely

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It’s pretty obvious. Someone suggested 8. Then why not 9. If 9 why not 10…. Pretty much a classical slippery slope argument.

Why allow a player 5 fouls? Why not 6? Why not 7? (i know a lot of ppl think the idea of a player fouling out is stupid to begin with. ) Not having any limit would be the only thing not qualifying as “slippery slope” because it doesn’t artificially draw a line where there isn’t one… the same thing for team fouls and bonus free throw shooting.

The point being, you can find a number that’s not intrinsically the “right” number (and doesn’t need to be the only potential answer) but improves the game.

Reaction Score
I thought the 4 games was for a medical Rs but I could be wrong as I don’t follow it closely
It is not, it's for all players now. I threw out 7 or 8 since that's the current medical redshirt rules for basketball so is the logical next step for an easy implementation. I think the actual rule is 30% so varies by how many games are scheduled

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Why allow a player 5 fouls? Why not 6? Why not 7? (i know a lot of ppl think the idea of a player fouling out is stupid to begin with. ) Not having any limit would be the only thing not qualifying as “slippery slope” because it doesn’t artificially draw a line where there isn’t one… the same thing for team fouls and bonus free throw shooting.

The point being, you can find a number that’s not intrinsically the “right” number (and doesn’t need to be the only potential answer) but improves the game.
The big east went to 6 fouls for a couple seasons in the early 90s. The biggest complaint against it from coaches was that it made it harder to get the opposing player with a hot hand off the court by getting him in foul trouble.
Oddly, another rule change that was discussed at the same time and rejected out of hand really did get adopted eventually -- three foul shots when you get fouled taking a three.

Reaction Score

Win-win for everyone.

Thoughts?
What you say makes sense. So is that a negative for the NCAA?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A change to the rules would probably lead to more minutes in the cupcake games for guys like Johnson and Diggins as coaching staffs try to evaluate if their freshmen could be year 1 contributors or if they need to take a redshirt year.
No criticism intended, but wanted to say that I don't recall ever seeing an initial post end with "Thoughts?," and the immediately following post coming from the same poster. I liked it.

Reaction Score
It is not, it's for all players now. I threw out 7 or 8 since that's the current medical redshirt rules for basketball so is the logical next step for an easy implementation. I think the actual rule is 30% so varies by how many games are scheduled
Thx for clarifying

Reaction Score
One of my law professors said they never understood the slippery slope argument. “Why can’t I walk down the slope and point to where I want to stop?”

Reaction Score
One of my law professors said they never understood the slippery slope argument. “Why can’t I walk down the slope and point to where I want to stop?”
Hard to stop on a slippery slope

Reaction Score

There are presumably real reasons why 8 might be better than 9. Or 7 is better than 8. This would be discussed and decided upon by informed professionals. I am not saying the process would be uncorrupted or perfect by any means. I am just saying that it adds nothing to the conversation to say, "Let's not change it because it puts us on a slippery slope."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom