NCAA Records likely to be broken due to 5th year of eligibility | The Boneyard

NCAA Records likely to be broken due to 5th year of eligibility

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What records have a great likelihood being broken due to players having a 5th year of eligibility?

The first main one is number of games played. I'm not sure who are prime candidates to break Kalana Greene's record, but players like Didi Richards or Dana Evans would likely be major candidates if they returned for a 5th year. I'm sure there are others. Or any current freshmen who are able to play 4 full seasons after this season ends.

The other big record I think that's in jeopardy is career 3pt FGs. I was looking at the list of all time 3 point leaders in NCAA history and was shocked to see Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis has dropped from 1st place to 9th in a matter of 2 seasons. Taylor Robertson from OU will likely break Kelsey Mitchell's record of 497 since she's at 276 right now and has potentially 2 more full seasons to rack up numbers with everyone being granted a 5th year of eligibility. OU has at least 14 games left on the schedule (in theory) and if she keeps up her average of 4 triples per game, she'll finish the year with 340. Two more full season with the likelihood that she continues to hit 3-4 treys per game and she'll obliterate Mitchell's record. I'm not sure if anyone else is ahead of her for being on pace, but that's one to keep an eye on.

For all time points, Madison Siegrist has an outside shot if she plays all 5 years. Right now she's at 823 with at least 15 games left (assuming postponed games are played and no cancellations). If she keeps up her 24ppg average, she'll be around 1150-1200 with three years of eligibility left and would need to hit around 800 points per season to catch Plum. That's assuming she stays 5 years. Caitlin Clark also appears to have a great shot if keeps scoring 25+ppg for 4 more years but I have a feeling she'll enter the league after 4 years.

What other records have potential to be beat?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any player who breaks a record while playing 5 full or nearly full seasons needs a GIGANTIC asterisk next to their record.

Reaction Score
Dyaisha Fair is probably closer than Siegrist, though not sure if she is scoring at a rate as high.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure we have any idea what records could come close to being broken as a few things will happen-if a player is that good, why wouldn't they go pro? If player at a mid-major school were scoring or playing at a high level, why wouldn't they transfer to a higher echelon school to elevate their game to another level and prove they could perform against the elite?

This thread may be much ado about nothing, but then again, some of the counting stats could get surpassed...

Also keep in mind that we have no idea how many games any school could play this year NOR what the new normal of games being played will be in the next 4 seasons so while regular seasons would consist of 28-30 games before conference and NCAAT games will that number dwindle to 23-27 per year which is 10-20 less games overall during the 4 year period coming up which sort of negates the "increased games" concern...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom