NCAA Proprosing New Recruiting Rules for 2017 | The Boneyard

NCAA Proprosing New Recruiting Rules for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DI to consider new women’s basketball recruiting rules

I would make a rule that a school could not hire a parent of a recruit while the recruit was attending the school.
Of all the OBVIOUSLY needed rules--that is one that should have been on the books since day one..

Reads like a lot of unenforceable rules (as written) Number 5 is so vague--it's meaningless. And this is supposed to be about allowing enforcement??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The one rule I would like to see the NCAA adopt is the elimination of the transfer rule for all sports except Men's Basketball & Football.
The rule is a farce and a double whammy. A farce because the stated purpose is to allow for "academic" preparation and acclimation at the new school. No disrespect to UCONN but if Azura' is transferring from Duke to UCONN and was doing well academically at Duke she doesn't need a year to get acclimated to UCONN academics. This rule only applies to athletes. When a Non-athlete transfers there is always a negotiation of which previously completed classes (credits) are transferred but there is never a stipulation of time on campus as in we cannot grant you a degree until 1 year from now. It's a double whammy because to be eligible at the institution the athlete is leaving, the athlete must be have to be in good academic standing-minimum GPA of 2.0 for all NCAA schools.

Reaction Score
The one rule I would like to see the NCAA adopt is the elimination of the transfer rule for all sports except Men's Basketball & Football.
The rule is a farce and a double whammy. A farce because the stated purpose is to allow for "academic" preparation and acclimation at the new school. No disrespect to UCONN but if Azura' is transferring from Duke to UCONN and was doing well academically at Duke she doesn't need a year to get acclimated to UCONN academics. This rule only applies to athletes. When a Non-athlete transfers there is always a negotiation of which previously completed classes (credits) are transferred but there is never a stipulation of time on campus as in we cannot grant you a degree until 1 year from now. It's a double whammy because to be eligible at the institution the athlete is leaving, the athlete must be have to be in good academic standing-minimum GPA of 2.0 for all NCAA schools.

If your proposal was adopted, there would be some players playing at a different school every year. In other words, it would be an unmitigated disaster! The transfer would likely quadruple and many unscrupulous programs wouldn't even bother recruiting high school players. There would be some teams with only juniors and seniors on the roster; after all, players who already have college experience are a lot easier to evaluate.

Reaction Score
If your proposal was adopted, there would be some players playing at a different school every year. In other words, it would be an unmitigated disaster! The transfer would likely quadruple and many unscrupulous programs wouldn't even bother recruiting high school players. There would be some teams with only juniors and seniors on the roster; after all, players who already have college experience are a lot easier to evaluate.
Agreed - the current setup makes it so that an athlete doesn't just transfer on a whim - they have to be very sure it's what they want to do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Agreed - the current setup makes it so that an athlete doesn't just transfer on a whim - they have to be very sure it's what they want to do.
I don't think so. Transfer rates amongs all student has been consistent averaging about 33%
More Than a Third of College Students Transfer | Inside Higher Ed
The transfer rates among athletes is significantly below that of regular students-Men's basketball is the worse.
Tracking transfer in Division I Men’s Basketball
Somehow these academic institutions manage what you are describing as potential "unmitigated disaster".
Quality control, common sense, and much more careful consideration (players and coaches) would prevent much of what you are suggesting as issues. Unscrupulous programs are going to bend what ever rules are in place. The transfer rates might actually go down. For example, I would like to see the foolish coach who would agree to take a player when that would be the player 3rd or 4th school. The scholarship limits and years to complete eligibility are still in place so the numbers of opportunities to transfer are exactly the same as today, so why would the transfer rates quadruple? Perhaps you did not realize that a transferred student's scholarship counts against the limit in the year the player is sitting out.
Lastly, and I should have been more clear about this in the original post. For non-revenue generating sport which in includes WCBB there is no "monetary" advantage for a group of students transferring to one school. There is also nothing preventing a group of athletes from agreeing to go to the same school, except the scholar limit. Years ago the Fab Five did it at Michigan and Diamond Deshields & crew did it in 2014 at UNC.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Transfer rates amongs all student has been consistent averaging about 33%
More Than a Third of College Students Transfer | Inside Higher Ed
The transfer rates among athletes is significantly below that of regular students-Men's basketball is the worse.
Tracking transfer in Division I Men’s Basketball
Somehow these academic institutions manage what you are describing as potential "unmitigated disaster".
Quality control, common sense, and much more careful consideration (players and coaches) would prevent much of what you are suggesting as issues. Unscrupulous programs are going to bend what ever rules are in place. The transfer rates might actually go down. For example, I would like to see the foolish coach who would agree to take a player when that would be the player 3rd or 4th school. The scholarship limits and years to complete eligibility are still in place so the numbers of opportunities to transfer are exactly the same as today, so why would the transfer rates quadruple? Perhaps you did not realize that a transferred student's scholarship counts against the limit in the year the player is sitting out.
Lastly, and I should have been more clear about this in the original post. For non-revenue generating sport which in includes WCBB there is no "monetary" advantage for a group of students transferring to one school. There is also nothing preventing a group of athletes from agreeing to go to the same school, except the scholar limit. Years ago the Fab Five did it at Michigan and Diamond Deshields & crew did it in 2014 at UNC.

You mean the "foolish" coaches like those at major college mens teams who enroll a player they know will only stay for one year?! Comparing transfer rates for athletes versus non-athletes is totally ridiculous, since the general college population doesn't go to school for free. Many college students, however, start out at a community college for cost considerations and then transfer to a university to obtain a higher credential level upon graduation. If your system were in place, there would be absolutely no deterrent to a basketball player going to a lesser program for two years to receive maximum playing time and then transferring to a major program to obtain the necessary credentials for a possible professional career. In fact, the top schools would have no incentive whatsoever to recruit high school students, knowing that the best younger college players would be contacting them every spring and they would essentially have the pick of the litter without having to recruit. I suppose, in a morbid sort of way, that might be preferable, since much less would be spent on recruiting, but no mid-major college would ever have a chance to develop a program because almost all the best players would transfer. It would end up being the opposite of the game today; instead of some people considering transfer, almost all players would. And why not? There would be no down side athletically, which even to a WBB student is by far and away the most important consideration in picking a school. As to speculation of what I or anyone else doesn't know?! That, Sir, is a dangerous enterprise. In my case, 30 years of college teaching taught me a thing or two.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You mean the "foolish" coaches like those at major college mens teams who enroll a player they know will only stay for one year?!
Perhaps you missed it but my proposal would not apply to

[//QUOTE]

Wow 30 years of teaching would lead me to speculate that you might try and answer the proposed question.

Reaction Score

The current transfer rule requiring a player to sit out only applies to a few sports currently - men's and women's basketball, football, baseball, and men's hockey. In most cases for athletes in other sports, they can play immediately at their new school assuming they are academically eligible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The current transfer rule requiring a player to sit out only applies to a few sports currently - men's and women's basketball, football, baseball, and men's hockey. In most cases for athletes in other sports, they can play immediately at their new school assuming they are academically eligible.
Its a complicated conditional beast with two other conditions:
  • You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.
  • You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE42016.pdf

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
  • You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.
  • You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.
Actually, if you mean in the other sports, it is commonplace. When a transfer into Arizona had to sit out a year (softball) it was significant enough to cause speculation as to why.

In another case, a volleyball transfer from Hawai'i to Arizona didn't have to sit out, however, there was one condition - she wasn't allowed to travel to or play in Arizona's appearance at Hawai'i.

I am really only referring to softball and volleyball, but in those sports, sitting out is the odd exception.

I do support sitting out in WBB, although it does penalize the player unfairly in some situations, I think. I do believe transfers might become more common, the pressure to win in WBB is much higher than any sports except FB, MBB and a school's "niche" sports.

Reaction Score

Not really that complicated. First, if a player is not academically eligible, it is obvious he/she couldn't play at the old school or the new school. Secondly, I have been told by administrators that well over 95% of transfers receive approval from their original school to transfer. To not do so gives a school a lot of unwanted bad publicity, and might well affect future recruiting. Also the decision must go through an appeals process where the athletic department doesn't get a vote and where a lot more publicity might result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom