NCAA proposal to shorten portal window to 30 days | The Boneyard

NCAA proposal to shorten portal window to 30 days

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

"The Division I Council has introduced a proposal to shorten transfer windows to 30 days, down from the current 60-day period. The windows have been in effect for only one year, but that has provided enough data for the NCAA to determine that most athletes enter the portal at the beginning of the window. A shorter window would simplify the task of coaches in their efforts to manage and reconstruct their rosters."

Reaction Score

"The Division I Council has introduced a proposal to shorten transfer windows to 30 days, down from the current 60-day period. The windows have been in effect for only one year, but that has provided enough data for the NCAA to determine that most athletes enter the portal at the beginning of the window. A shorter window would simplify the task of coaches in their efforts to manage and reconstruct their rosters."

It helps the teams but what about the players? Players may want to transfer after finding out that the coach has signed two transfers at the player's position. I think the NCAA has talked primarily to coaches and coaches would benefit. Let's say I have feelers from an AA 4 and have a pretty good one. If I hold off on announcing the arriving transfer it may be too late for the current 4 to enter the portal and I now have both. Too bad that one of them comes off the bench. It's great for me and the program.
However the portal wasn't designed to help teams but to give players some freedom. This proposal is a step backwards.

Reaction Score
It's probably not doable but how about no NIL $$ for 1 year after a portal transfer. That would help keep transfer motivations "pure". Right now it's the wild west, let's go to the highest bidder...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It helps the teams but what about the players? Players may want to transfer after finding out that the coach has signed two transfers at the player's position. I think the NCAA has talked primarily to coaches and coaches would benefit. Let's say I have feelers from an AA 4 and have a pretty good one. If I hold off on announcing the arriving transfer it may be too late for the current 4 to enter the portal and I now have both. Too bad that one of them comes off the bench. It's great for me and the program.
However the portal wasn't designed to help teams but to give players some freedom. This proposal is a step backwards.
Yes, if this was Star Wars-themed, the name of this proposal would be "The Coaches Strike Back."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's probably not doable but how about no NIL $$ for 1 year after a portal transfer. That would help keep transfer motivations "pure". Right now it's the wild west, let's go to the highest bidder...
An EXCELLENT idea!!! That's thinking outside of the box!! :cool:

Reaction Score

Interesting idea, but don't state laws supercede the NCAA when it comes to NIL? Recall reading an article where the NCAA is struggling with this and are trying to figure out a solution.

Reaction Score
Great idea but you’re right, it wouldn’t fly. There’d be a lawsuit before the announcement was finished! A successful one, I’d guess.

Reaction Score

Also an excellent breeding ground for corruption. We'd be back to MacDonalds bags filled with cash.

Reaction Score

Yeah, and a year from now they'll be looking to shorten it to 20 days.....and then 15.....and then 10.

Forget it, DO NOT LIKE.

Reaction Score
Interesting idea, but don't state laws supercede the NCAA when it comes to NIL? Recall reading an article where the NCAA is struggling with this and are trying to figure out a solution.

I don't think they are figuring anything out. I think they are staying as far from NIL as they can in the hope it explodes. They are in charge at the pleasure of the member conferences and there is no consensus in that group. To most conferences NIL is just a way of luring their best players to an elite conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are figuring anything out. I think they are staying as far from NIL as they can in the hope it explodes. They are in charge at the pleasure of the member conferences and there is no consensus in that group. To most conferences NIL is just a way of luring their best players to an elite conference.

That could be possible, considering this is the NCAA. I got a different impression after reading this however.

Reaction Score
That could be possible, considering this is the NCAA. I got a different impression after reading this however.

There are 50 states with differing laws. What violates what is a problem for lawyers. The NCAA, like PGATour,Inc. want congress to solve their problems but we are too close to national elections to expect anything from there.

Reaction Score
There are 50 states with differing laws. What violates what is a problem for lawyers. The NCAA, like PGATour,Inc. want congress to solve their problems but we are too close to national elections to expect anything from there.

I understand that. My question was in response to the idea of a transfer forgoing NIL for a year of they change schools because state laws vary. How can a state funded school do the opposite of what's mandated?

Even though the poster noted the idea was very unlikely to happen, it had me wondering how the NCAA could even enforce such a thing.

Reaction Score
I think the old "sit out a year" for transferring eliminates this mess. That IS how this free for all started.

Reaction Score
I understand that. My question was in response to the idea of a transfer forgoing NIL for a year of they change schools because state laws vary. How can a state funded school do the opposite of what's mandated?

Even though the poster noted the idea was very unlikely to happen, it had me wondering how the NCAA could even enforce such a thing.

If an NCAA rule and a state law conflict, it's the NCAA that adjusts it's rules. And I doubt any state legislature would impose that rule on their in-state schools. Would an Alabama football fan vote for anyone putting the Tide in a weaker position athletically than say Mississippi?

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that transfer statistics from COVID “eligible” years would be considered to be a valid representation of anything.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to be a coach waiting and waiting for a kid to make up his/her mind. But I also see the flip side. However, that kid probably has a hope that a certain school would make an offer since they put themselves in the portal to begin with.

Reaction Score
If an NCAA rule and a state law conflict, it's the NCAA that adjusts it's rules. And I doubt any state legislature would impose that rule on their in-state schools. Would an Alabama football fan vote for anyone putting the Tide in a weaker position athletically than say Mississippi?
That's been my impression, however the NCAA seem like they're going to try to get schools to follow "their" rules per their recent changes. We'll see how that goes.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to be a coach waiting and waiting for a kid to make up his/her mind. But I also see the flip side. However, that kid probably has a hope that a certain school would make an offer since they put themselves in the portal to begin with.
I think a lot of players have already been contacted by the "new" team before they even enter the portal. The big names have options but a lot of them are taking a huge risk and for that reason I think it is predetermined. For me I think players should have freedom to move and quite frankly I think a lot of the problems have been created by how coaches treated their rostered players in the first place.

Reaction Score
I'm not a real big fan of the portal, but it just about eliminated the problem of why did Mary have to sit out a year, but Suzy got papal dispensation. I have less of a problem with NIL. These kids (well most of them) have the same rights as anyone reading the BY, protected by something called the constitution. If they can make a buck (or a million) then good for them. But put the portal and NIL together and you are just down on your knees begging for real ugliness.

Reaction Score
I'm not a real big fan of the portal, but it just about eliminated the problem of why did Mary have to sit out a year, but Suzy got papal dispensation. I have less of a problem with NIL. These kids (well most of them) have the same rights as anyone reading the BY, protected by something called the constitution. If they can make a buck (or a million) then good for them. But put the portal and NIL together and you are just down on your knees begging for real ugliness.
It should be everyone can transfer or no one can with zero exceptions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom