NCAA proposal: Players can return to school after declaring for NBA draft | The Boneyard

NCAA proposal: Players can return to school after declaring for NBA draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-draft-rule-allow-underclassmen-return-school

College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Under the proposal, which was a coordinated effort by the NCAA, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the NBA, underclassmen would be allowed to attend the Chicago pre-draft combine in May, get evaluated by team personnel and given a true reading on their draft status. The players would then be able to decide if they wanted to stay in the draft or return to school. They couldn't sign with an agent, though.

Reaction Score
Could have an impact on our team next year in 2016, with DHam, Brimah, Purvis as possible early entrants.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'd still prefer it was like the baseball draft where players could decide to sign or return to school. I'm sure there would be problems to be worked out with that model (please feel free to point them out as I haven't given it all that much thought). You'd probably have to expand the draft to 3 rounds for example.

Edit: The model would also probably makes far more sense for football. Really tough for the kids that think their draft stock is rounds 4-6 and won't rise higher by returning so they declare and end up not getting drafted.

Reaction Score
I'd still prefer it was like the baseball draft where players could decide to sign or return to school. I'm sure there would be problems to be worked out with that model (please feel free to point them out as I haven't given it all that much thought). You'd probably have to expand the draft to 3 rounds for example.

Edit: The model would also probably makes far more sense for football. Really tough for the kids that think their draft stock is rounds 4-6 and won't rise higher by returning so they declare and end up not getting drafted.

Would've loved for Deandre to have had that option since Toronto shipped him out to Australia

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Would've loved for Deandre to have had that option since Toronto shipped him out to Australia
From what I've heard, DeAndre was a goner regardless of his draft position.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Will be useful for a guy like Brimah if it's implemented. If D-Ham puts up the same numbers as his freshman year with a better shooting % (considering this team's depth and scoring distribution) he is a goner and a first round lock. Purvis also seems to have his mind made up as well and will be gone regardless of draft position, IMO. But Brimah's case will be interesting if this is implemented, making it more likely for him to stay if he's not looking at guaranteed money.

What I love most about this is how it will make it that more kids stay in school, there will be better and more experienced players in the college game which is good for us, good for the athletes, good for the NBA, and good for the NCAA. This is a no-brainer. Go NCAA! (Did I just say that?)

Reaction Score
What impact does this have on recruiting? Perhaps delaying signing on with a team whose underclassman is considering declaring.

I mean its good for the players but could be problematic for recruitees and coaches. I'm no expert but just wondering.

Reaction Score
This is not a good idea the way it is proposed. What decent underclassman wouldn't go to an NBA tryout to see where they stand? I would think you would have a larger number of kids going to the NBA pre-draft combine than you have today. If the rule is implemented as proposed, coaches won't know until the end of May how many kids they have on scholarship for the next season.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
What impact does this have on recruiting? Perhaps delaying signing on with a team whose underclassman is considering declaring.

I mean its good for the players but could be problematic for recruitees and coaches. I'm no expert but just wondering.
Good point, it could mean that kids sign later, but that's usually only the top 10-15 kids in each class who sign in the spring after the draft deadline. Most kids are committed by then regardless, so I don't see it having that big of an effect.

Reaction Score
This is not a good idea the way it is proposed. What decent underclassman wouldn't go to an NBA tryout to see where they stand? I would think you would have a larger number of kids going to the NBA pre-draft combine than you have today. If the rule is implemented as proposed, coaches won't know until the end of May how many kids they have on scholarship for the next season.

That's how it used to be and how it should be, the April deadline is ridiculous, NBA teams haven't even conducted workouts at that point. Without workouts its alot harder to get a reading on where you stand if you're not a surefire lottery and/or first round pick.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I see your point - may have unintended consequences of almost everyone getting their toes wet.

Reaction Score
Basically the way it was before pre-2012, but with the moved up combine like we have now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You have to be invited to the Chicago camp. The NBA will continue to invite a limited number of kids. If you don't get invited, that means you ain't getting drafted.

If the number grows at all, it will be insubstantial. The point is to help kids who are really on the borderline.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yes and yes.

You have to line up the dates so that the spring signing is after the withdraw date. Schools have to know for sure whether or not a player is staying or leaving before the can effectively finish their spring recruiting.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Love it and hate it!on one hand, Id like to have a few guys back.on the other hand, it could have a huge impact on recruiting for those teams who aren't UK or duke and have definit one and done guys on there roster. Although Id love the chance at a brima or a dham back another year if things didn't quite go as planed,but would hate to lose a top prospect who'd be around another three to four year inspite of.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Might be Tough on KY too when they have 8 players in Limbo after the season ends. How do you manage those scholarships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom