NCAA: No brackets for canceled tournaments | The Boneyard

NCAA: No brackets for canceled tournaments

Reaction Score
Brackets will not be released for the 2020 NCAA Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt said Sunday.

"The important work of the basketball committees is to set up competitively-balanced brackets to determine national champions," Gavitt said. "I don't believe it's responsible or fair to do that with incomplete seasons -- especially for tournaments that unfortunately won't be played."

Reaction Score
sour Creme must be very unhappy now....

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
NCAA could have come up with a reasonable Women's Bracket. Don't think they could with the Men's tournament since their Post Season Tournaments had just started or about to start. There are enough upsets in the Men's tournaments that impact the brackets. The only option for the Men is to make a bracket based on Regular Season Records. If you're not going to release a Men's Bracket, then it makes equal sense to not release a Women's Bracket.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the biggest sticking point was that many teams didn't finish or even play in their conference tournaments. It wouldn't be fair to evaluate some teams on the basis of an incomplete season where they didn't have a chance to grab the AQ or otherwise enhance their resume in a conference tourney.

"The NCAA said there were a total of 132 men's games and 81 women's games that were never played, and 19 men's and 18 women's conference tournaments that hadn't been completed."​

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Never made sense to me for them to go through the motions for a non-existent tournament when the conferences hadn't completed play. Think back to a Uconn men's team that probably would not have had a chance without a very unexpected conference win. (2011)

Reaction Score
We will just need to remind Muffet she would not have made it in this year... going from runner up to not even making it to the dance...

Reaction Score
NCAA could have come up with a reasonable Women's Bracket. Don't think they could with the Men's tournament since their Post Season Tournaments had just started or about to start. There are enough upsets in the Men's tournaments that impact the brackets. The only option for the Men is to make a bracket based on Regular Season Records. If you're not going to release a Men's Bracket, then it makes equal sense to not release a Women's Bracket.
Why?

Reaction Score
Never made sense to me for them to go through the motions for a non-existent tournament when the conferences hadn't completed play. Think back to a Uconn men's team that probably would not have had a chance without a very unexpected conference win. (2011)
Good Memories! The Year of Kemba!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom