NCAA needs to address style of play | The Boneyard

NCAA needs to address style of play

Reaction Score
Not sure about the rest of you but I found last nights two rock fights to be unwatchable . Tomorrow night could approach first half of us and Butler. Have to believe ratings for last night and tomorrow will be way down . Thoughts? Go to Euro rules perhaps with wider lanes and defensive zone violations when playing man? Gotta do something.

Reaction Score
Not sure about the rest of you but I found last nights two rock fights to be unwatchable . Tomorrow night could approach first half of us and Butler. Have to believe ratings for last night and tomorrow will be way down . Thoughts? Go to Euro rules perhaps with wider lanes and defensive zone violations when playing man? Gotta do something.
If you like defense then you should have liked the Texas Tech Michigan State game. Tech plays defense better than any team I've seen in many years.

Reaction Score
They should ... but they’re going to continue to make half-hearted rule changes like freedom of movement to give the appearance that they’re addressing it.

They should’ve gone to quarters years ago, but making the change now would be a good starting point. Fouls resetting after every quarter would mitigate the 10+ minutes of free throws we’re constantly stuck watching.

Reaction Score
College basketball has been like this for nearly a decade. The games are ugly. It's not just how the game is officiated, the overall talent level is down since everyone with a shot at the NBA leaves early. The top tier teams aren't all that great, the parity is improved but in a bad way: there are more Tier B or C teams and almost no Tier A teams. Since the 1 & Done Era began its mainly been a battle of elite youth vs mediocre experience. You don't get elite experience anymore. You could call the game with finesse Euro rules and the product still wouldn't be all that great.

UNC in 2009 was probably the last real college powerhouse team to win it (elite experience: multiple upperclassmen who were 1st rounders including the most accomplished player in ACC history). I can only imagine the drubbing our 2004 team would put on any of the champions since 2010, with the exception of a good game vs '12 UK.

Reaction Score
Meh! Outside of a couple amazing UConn tourney runs for me cbb has sucked for about 10 years or so. For the first time since 1989 which I wasn't a cbb fan yet I didnt watch much of the tournament before the final four and I only watched the last 10 minutes of the MSU/TT game and about the last 5 of the Aub/VA game. The only tourney game I watched was the last 5 minutes of the Duke/MSU game but thats really been it. I watched about 10 UConn games this season. It has not been a good cbb season for me at all this season. Really hope to get more games in next season.

Reaction Score
Meh! Outside of a couple amazing UConn tourney runs for me cbb has sucked for about 10 years or so. For the first time since 1989 which I wasn't a cbb fan yet I didnt watch much of the tournament before the final four and I only watched the last 10 minutes of the MSU/TT game and about the last 5 of the Aub/VA game. The only tourney game I watched was the last 5 minutes of the Duke/MSU game but thats really been it. I watched about 10 UConn games this season. It has not been a good cbb season for me at all this season. Really hope to get more games in next season.

The elite 8 games were great. The games yesterday? Pass.

Reaction Score
They should ... but they’re going to continue to make half-hearted rule changes like freedom of movement to give the appearance that they’re addressing it.

They should’ve gone to quarters years ago, but making the change now would be a good starting point. Fouls resetting after every quarter would mitigate the 10+ minutes of free throws we’re constantly stuck watching.
Women’s basketball will be the guinea pigs. Look how the qrts affected UConn. Stopping run after run. We used to win on conditioning alone.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The rules in CBB are awful and the players and officiating are worse.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's become a more physical game, and this year's Huskies were not very physical. Talented, successful, exceeded expectations, but not physical and that hurt them somewhat in the more physical games.

We just need a little more size down low. I think we all know they were undersized this year. I think we needed a 2/3 and 3/4 to play like a 4 and a 5. Tough to pull off against the very best teams

Reaction Score
It's become a more physical game, and this year's Huskies were not very physical. Talented, successful, exceeded expectations, but not physical and that hurt them somewhat in the more physical games.

We just need a little more size down low. I think we all know they were undersized this year. I think we needed a 2/3 and 3/4 to play like a 4 and a 5. Tough to pull off against the very best teams

Look at the big men in the championship game. I think you may reevaluate your opinion.

@Lefty2one is right. There is no elite experienced talent. With the NBA set on developing the G League, the problem may only get worse.

College basketball is a bad product run by a corrupt organization.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On the bright side, after tonight we may not have played in the ugliest defensive rock fight national championship game of all time.

One solution would be to call fouls until we see teams fouling out guys by halftime. That’s even uglier. I think basketball needs to adopt an approach that considers advantage. They call too many tricky tack fouls that don’t impact the game and then let a ton of things go that do impact the game.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is the timeouts, especially in the NCAA tournament when the tv timeouts are even longer. I know this is not a new problem but its extremely annoying. If there is a mandatory tv timeout under 16, 12, 8, and 4 minutes in each half mixed in with a long halftime, that is unlikely to ever change, but coaches should really only have 2 other timeouts to use. And conditioning barely ever comes into play. Who is really going to get winded with all of these mandatory timeouts?

Reaction Score
UNC in 2009 was probably the last real college powerhouse team to win it (elite experience: multiple upperclassmen who were 1st rounders including the most accomplished player in ACC history). I can only imagine the drubbing our 2004 team would put on any of the champions since 2010, with the exception of a good game vs '12 UK.
Villanova last year.

Reaction Score
you want to get more free flowing offense, move the 3-point shot back.

They also should have the nba defensive 3 second rule. Open up lanes to the basket.

There is a reason Jim Calhoun abandoned the old 2-2-1 press the last 20 years or so. First off anyone can handle the ball now, and, the 3-point shot is too easy.

It is suicide to speed up the game and allow uncontested 3-pointers in transition From 20 feet. Teams have also stopped offensive rebounding.

The metrics say it is more efficient to abandon the offensive glass and instead get everyone back on defense to stop transition.

The ncaa game usually is clogged because all the action happens at the 3-point line and below, which is too close. I just find the spacing of the college game awful. Players are too athletic, and can cover the rim and the 3 with just one and a half steps.

Villanova took nba 3s last year and teams have to cover them out past the 3-point line. Look how much fun they were to watch.

Best offense in ncaa ends up being a high PnR or an ISO, which is horrible hoops to watch. That, and so much for freedom of movement by the officials.

It isn’t a coincidence that three of the 4 teams in Final Four were rugged defensive teams.

Reaction Score
I always assume that when people think a game is either going to be a rock fight or a shootout the opposite will happen.

I will take the over on total points tonight.

Reaction Score
It should be a good game. But I think they need to move away from having the final4 in a huge football stadium.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i might not like every team that makes the final four, but the product on the court is fine with a few tweaks that I would make.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Move the 3pt line back to the nba level, or at least fiba.

Get rid of the ridiculous semi circle

Narrow the lane.

Bring back some good post basketball, the way it was intended to be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only thing I would change is how offensive fouls are called. Flopping needs to be eliminated. Flopping is no where in the rule book, yet it is required to get the charge call with about 80% of college refs. It is stupid and dangerous to have players flopping in the paint, and leads to concussions and leg injuries. I would not only outlaw it, but I would also fire any officials that rewarded it.

If it is taken away at the college level, it will go away at the youth level too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom