NCAA Naismith POY 10 Finalists Announced | The Boneyard

NCAA Naismith POY 10 Finalists Announced

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm quite surprised Natisha Hiedeman of Marquette got in ahead of Alanna Smith and Kalani Brown. Hiedeman has had a great senior season and I'm not saying she's undeserving, but she's been very under the radar when it comes to discussion of these national awards. Up until this year, in fact, she wasn't even considered the best player on her team (that was Allazia Blockton).

Reaction Score
I’m actually a bit surprised at this list. Snubs include Kalani Brown. I know her numbers aren’t great but the number 1 team has no AAs? Not sure about that.

Alanna Smith, Jackie Young also left off.
Would you replace A.O. with Ms Young (personally I prefer Young)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco---super great. I agree with all listed. Some tough talent competition for KLS or Precious (we are now seeing why she is so Precious). The only one I'd argue against is A.O. but as a shooter, scorer, go to she belongs.
BTW Napheesa is going to have to settle for Precious II the original is coaching down at UCF.

Reaction Score
Well, they used Sabrina's picture. Done deal. :rolleyes:
Yeah... I kind of wondered about that too. NOT the way it should have been published, IMHO. Either put ALL their photos on the announcement or NONE. Just how I think it should have been announced. :confused::eek:

Reaction Score
BTW Napheesa is going to have to settle for Precious II the original is coaching down at UCF.
Sir: (respectfully)
As originally reported about Napheesa's father it was stated that he named her Precious i.e Naphessa in his native language Sera Leone. If Sales, OUR original Precious may use it unofficially, but Naphessa was born and then named Precious, from my understanding of published words on the subject.
I've been wrong before (often). I tend to follow the dictum : Speak and let people KNOW you are fool, rather than being quiet and allowing them to only think I am..

Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert: A pair of UCONN players among the 10.

NCAA Naismith POY Finalists | Prospects Nation

*********************** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ***********************

I saw this on PN yesterday, but it's not on the Naismith website (nor any Google search), so I'm highly skeptical of its accuracy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I saw this on PN yesterday, but it's not on the Naismith website (nor any Google search), so I'm highly skeptical of its accuracy.

Good catch. These aren't the real thing. According to the Naismith website, the finalists will be released on March 4.

1550866542652.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Good catch. These aren't the real thing. According to the Naismith website, the finalists will be released on March 4.

View attachment 40005
Brandon Clay who wrote the Prospects Article is on the Naismith Committe for Women's player of the Year. Croll all the way to the bottom and read his Bio-I guess he published in advance on his side hustle which is PN. The Finalist is when they get down to the final 4 players as it was last year.
Naismith watchlist narrowed to four finalists | NCAA.com

"Brandon Clay serves as the WNBA Director of Scouting for ProspectsNation.com and owns The JumpOffPlus.com International Report, which is picked up by more than 150 colleges and universities nationwide. He serves as the Executive Camp Director for the Elite Basketball Academy Camps. He serves on the Naismith Trophy Men’s / Women’s College Player of the Year Academy and is chairman of the HS Boys / Girls Board of Selectors and is on the McDonald’s All-American Selection Committee. He also is the publisher of PSBPopCulture.com."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Brandon Clay who wrote the Prospects Article is on the Naismith Committe for Women's player of the Year. Croll all the way to the bottom and read his Bio-I guess he published in advance on his side hustle which is PN. The Finalist is when they get down to the final 4 players as it was last year.
Naismith watchlist narrowed to four finalists | NCAA.com

Sorry, I should have said semi-finalists, as you can see from the screenshot.

I don't know, maybe he just spoiled the list of semifinalists over a week early. Or maybe this is who he plans to vote for.

But this doesn't appear to be official in any way. At least, not yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remain skeptical. They have a sponsor. Why would they release the info in a non-branded way -- they are devaluing the sponsorship.

Reaction Score

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

They are "Precious" for two different reasons. Precious I was nicknamed Precious by her teammates because of Geno favoring her. Precious II was nicknamed Precious because of her contributions on the court. Not saying Precious I didn't contribute just saying how she got her nickname.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm quite surprised Natisha Hiedeman of Marquette got in ahead of Alanna Smith and Kalani Brown. Hiedeman has had a great senior season and I'm not saying she's undeserving, but she's been very under the radar when it comes to discussion of these national awards. Up until this year, in fact, she wasn't even considered the best player on her team (that was Allazia Blockton).

Heideman has been under the radar and not discussed by the talking heads because she, her team, and her conference have not flash. While those who matter have been paying attention to her and rightly so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They are "Precious" for two different reasons. Precious I was nicknamed Precious by her teammates because of Geno favoring her. Precious II was nicknamed Precious because of her contributions on the court. Not saying Precious I didn't contribute just saying how she got her nickname.
Almost. You are correct on Precious I.
Precious II -"Napheesa name means "precious one" or "princess"
Unforgettable recruit Napheesa Collier -espnW

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson
Connecticut: 19.9 P, 7.1 R, 3.8 A
For the Huskies, Samuelson is the perfect yin to Collier’s yang. A shooter’s shooter, Samuelson arguably the nation’s premier 3-point shooter though her percentages are down from the 2017-18 campaign.

According to the NCAA Lou is listed as 89th in 3PT% in Division I. Hype has a life of its own.

Reaction Score
Her name Napheesa actually means Precious in Arabic I believe so she gets dibs.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder who actually decided on Sabrina's picture. Was it the committee or the article writer or the editor?

I am sure it was not the committee. I meant it as a joke in general but even if it is just the writer, it gives an implicit peak into the minds of "external' people.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson
Connecticut: 19.9 P, 7.1 R, 3.8 A
For the Huskies, Samuelson is the perfect yin to Collier’s yang. A shooter’s shooter, Samuelson arguably the nation’s premier 3-point shooter though her percentages are down from the 2017-18 campaign.

According to the NCAA Lou is listed as 89th in 3PT% in Division I. Hype has a life of its own.
Yeah, but Lou’s 47.5% led the nation last year. She likely will finish in the top 2-4 of career 3-point shooters. To paraphrase Curly in City Slickers, “Season ain’t over yet.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom