NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors (Russo @ AP) | The Boneyard

NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors (Russo @ AP)

Reaction Score

>>No school-branded apparel or material could be used by athletes in their personal endorsement deals, according to the recommendations reviewed by the person who spoke to the AP. Athletes would be required to disclose financial terms of contracts to their athletic departments, along with their relationships with any individuals involved.

Athletes would be allowed to enter into agreements with individuals deemed to be school boosters, the person said.

The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption. An athlete could compromise their eligibility for failing to disclose details of a financial agreement or relationship, the person said.

The recommendations also call for allowing athletes to sign autographs for money, sell their memorabilia, and be paid for personal appearances and working as an instructor in their sport.<<

Reaction Score
So the schools that have the richest booster will be able to buy all the good players. Sounds like a great system. Oklahoma State and Oregon are going to be really really good.
Not good

I don’t have the time to look but what do the variety of State bills that have passed already and have implementation dates have in regard to “booster agreement” language.

The NCAA proposal language was floated out for a reason...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why don't we have freaking games before we worry about this stuff?
I am against amateur athletes getting paid as a sponsor JMHO

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The NCAA just put up the white flag.

I mentioned this in a post last week - the P5 has made it clear that they'll do whatever the hell they please. Fake classes? Not your jurisdiction, NCAA. Boosters paying players? What are you gonna do about it?

So I have to ask, what is the incentive for the other non-p5 schools to subject themselves to NCAA lunacy? Rules for three but not for me? What am I missing?

Reaction Score
I always remember when Ray left, way back he mentioned he saw a lot of kids on campus wearing Allen jerseys.

Reaction Score
Just pay them.

Make it a semi-pro league.

I don't see why we're pretending anymore.

If you pay them, then you don't go through this booster shenanigans, nor do you bleed money from the other side.

This is a totally fake market at this point.

Reaction Score
So the schools that have the richest booster will be able to buy all the good players. Sounds like a great system. Oklahoma State and Oregon are going to be really really good.

Currently, Knight’s net worth is $26 billion and he seems determined to funnel as much of that to Oregon as possible. Knight and his wife, Penny, are generous to the entire University—witness $500 million to set up a science campus—but the sports teams hold a special place in his heart…and wallet.

Reaction Score

What could possibly go wrong with this provision? :rolleyes:
"If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties, from car dealerships ...................... to pizza shops".

Word's out that Chief will be running commercials with JB delivering pizzas in an Audi.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Get money!!!! AAU, Sneakers , individual training sessions, travel , food , etc. are expensive. Get money!!!! But honestly, if not managed right , this will be disastrous.

Reaction Score
There are only so many roster spots, and there's a ton of talent out there.

Reaction Score
Do people really still believe that the only schools out there paying people are LSU, Louisville, and Arizona?

It was true when Jerry said it, and its true today:

“Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place.”

Reaction Score
It really turns the 1 time transfer rule into bona fide free agency. Literally a bidding war if you have value. The virtual tour becomes a list of deep pockets to sponsor you. I have never believed that kids should be prevented from capitalizing on their fame since other kids can earn money in their professions while going to school. These proposals together do seem to end college basketball and render lower level teams as a farm system.

Reaction Score
Thinking more on this:

With school budgets getting slashed by ungodly amounts (and people being fired at universities left and right), I can't see how it is humanly possible to maintain the current college sports setup.

It boggles my mind that we will let boosters pay for players, while the programs are deeply in the red.

Keep olympic sports at the schools, even if they lose money, but football and basketball should become minor league professional sports with their own budgets (presumably the boosters will have a relationship with the programs).

The baseline for pay should be the cost/value of tuition & room & board (so players can foresake $$ and choose an education instead if that's what they want). All others get to keep tuition & R&B money, or get paid more as the funding allows.

The schools should take a small fee for use of the name of the school (like, $500k) and they should split the jersey sales, etc. All TV $ goes to sports as does all ticket money.

A rental agreement can be made for all sports facilities currently in place.

Reaction Score

There is zero chance that the NCAA would be able to police schools arranging endorsement deals on the part of players. In fact, this is basically just money-laundering, making it easier for schools to directly pay players, and to promise this to recruits.

This is only going to benefit the Duke, Kentucky, Illinois, and L$U's of the world.

Reaction Score
Now is as good a time as any ... apparently there is a money fairy that's covering everything in society.

Reaction Score
Do we have any billionaire boosters? You'd think with an alumni base as big as ours we might have at least 1

Reaction Score
Now is as good a time as any ... apparently there is a money fairy that's covering everything in society.
What is this supposed to mean? All that's being proposed is college basketball players being allowed to accept money from people and/or businesses that want to give it to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom