NCAA Moves Back Three Point Line for Men How About for Women? | The Boneyard

NCAA Moves Back Three Point Line for Men How About for Women?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
First, I would like the women to start using the same size basketball that the men use. The women now use a ball that is 1 inch smaller in circumference.
I think they could handle that.

Reaction Score
I love the shot clock resetting to 20 seconds instead of 30, and hope to see this eventually adopted for the women too. But live timeouts... Yikes!

Reaction Score
First, I would like the women to start using the same size basketball that the men use. The women now use a ball that is 1 inch smaller in circumference.

They "could" handle it to a degree. But women have significantly smaller hands, and the change would certainly create poorer shooting from any distance. I don't see any reason to tinker with the game. Note that international (FIBA) rules for women call for the same ball as is used by the NCAA, so changing the ball size would create problems when players went overseas or played in world championships

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the line is moved back, you know who benefits? This player.

Reaction Score
If any dimension needs to be addressed, it's the height of the rim in the NBA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That's been on the tip of my tongue for a while now. I suspect Geno would go for it. Some time back he was bemoaning how lively the smaller ball was.

Reaction Score
That's been on the tip of my tongue for a while now. I suspect Geno would go for it. Some time back he was bemoaning how lively the smaller ball was.

I think the idea here is to have American basketball players shoot from the same distances as the rest of the world....................even international WBB uses the smaller ball as far as I know so that uniformity exists yet the international women's three point line still differs from the current NCAA WBB line

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think the idea here is to have American basketball players shoot from the same distances as the rest of the world.....even international WBB uses the smaller ball as far as I know so that uniformity exists yet the international women's three point line still differs from the current NCAA WBB line

I have a little trouble parsing what's going on here. Was this tried and why "postseason" events or is that come next spring andwhy would you do it at tournament time?

"Experimental rule
NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee members previously approved an experimental rule to use the international 3-point line for postseason events, excluding the NCAA championships in each division.
Committee members, who met last month in Indianapolis, want to examine whether moving the line back to the distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches will enhance the game. The current women’s 3-point line sits at 20 feet, 9 inches."

Shot clock rule altered in women’s basketball | NCAA.com

Reaction Score
I have a little trouble parsing what's going on here. Was this tried and why "postseason" events or is that come next spring andwhy would you do it at tournament time?

"Experimental rule
NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee members previously approved an experimental rule to use the international 3-point line for postseason events, excluding the NCAA championships in each division.
Committee members, who met last month in Indianapolis, want to examine whether moving the line back to the distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches will enhance the game. The current women’s 3-point line sits at 20 feet, 9 inches."

Shot clock rule altered in women’s basketball | NCAA.com

that does seem like putting the cart in front of the horse............I thought the idea is to do the experiment when games don't count as much like in preseason or early season non conference play not during post season if by that they mean championship tournaments

Reaction Score
and this player

Thank you Charlie, but like the smaller ball the NCAA knows they are WOMEN and delicate and heaving that chunk of lead 1.something feet further is difficult. Sensibilities must be maintained. I know this is 1919 and things are different but these ARE women and they MUST go by different rules. Some people may begin to blurr the lines between men and Women's BB if the game is CHANGED. Who knows, some women players may start using the old short shorts the men once used!!! HMMM? I love the new Uconn Bloomer uniforms.

Reaction Score
that does seem like putting the cart in front of the horse..I thought the idea is to do the experiment when games don't count as much like in preseason or early season non conference play not during post season if by that they mean championship tournaments
Yet Charlie to sell things, at least on DeLancy St, a push cart once was the way to go.

Reaction Score

People don't seem to believe that there was not much change in shooting due to the change in size, but the statistic that most people agree is affected is that turnovers decreased with the smaller ball. I know many elite teams take care of the ball, but if the rest of us are subjected to even more turnovers in our games that would certainly be less fun to watch.

that does seem like putting the cart in front of the horse..I thought the idea is to do the experiment when games don't count as much like in preseason or early season non conference play not during post season if by that they mean championship tournaments

They mean WNIT games. The men's NIT had a bunch of experimental rules in recent years, some that were adopted and others that were left alone.

Reaction Score

Geno has commented on several occasions that he thinks it would be best for NCAA women's rules to mirror the women's international rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom