NCAA grants winter sports participants extra year of eligibility. What a mess. Lots of Geno quotes. | The Boneyard

NCAA grants winter sports participants extra year of eligibility. What a mess. Lots of Geno quotes.

Reaction Score
This is going to cause all kinds of problems for a lot of schools and a lot of kids. I don't see much effect on UConn, though. Since we have no true seniors... and if Evina has a good year, I see her going pro afterward. And I don't seen Williams or Ono sticking around for an extra year in 2022. But who knows?
Can you imagine FIVE years of Paige? She could play four years with Azzi! Hey, I can dream, cant' I?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is going to cause all kinds of problems for a lot of schools and a lot of kids. I don't see much effect on UConn, though. Since we have no true seniors... and if Evina has a good year, I see her going pro afterward. And I don't seen Williams or Ono sticking around for an extra year in 2022. But who knows?
Can you imagine FIVE years of Paige? She could play four years with Azzi! Hey, I can dream, cant' I?

Yeah this is going to be a messy situation, particularly for schools who routinely fill all 15 roster spots. What's a school like Stanford going to do? I'm guessing they'll working out a special situation since they're Stanford, but other programs will probably have to pull back scholarship offers, have players decommit, ask potential 5th year players to be grad transfers, etc.

I dont see UCONN's roster space being affected because Geno usually keeps smaller rosters and i dont see any of his better players sticking around 5-6 years unless they don't develop and aren't draft ready.

I think the biggest beneficiaries will be players who are strong collegiate players but aren't likely to be top pro prospects. Kids with skill levels like Mikayla Pivec, Ali Patberg, Juicy Landrum and Alexis Tolefree. Gives those types of kids an extra year to play college ball.

It also muddles with the WNBA next year, as an already weak draft is likely going to be even weaker, and you'll see further influx of 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players all in the same draft class.

Reaction Score
Will we need all sorts of asterisks for career scoring, rebounding, assist records if they get broken by a player with 5 years? Could our freshmen win 5 NC's and all break the record set by Morgan, Moriah and .... what was her name? How many will break career records for most games played in, most games started?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They don't use asterisks for total points scored in a career. Players who played after the three point shot was allowed have a big advantage over the ones who played before it was implemented. Pete Maravich , for example, probably would have set a record that would never be broken if he had the luxury of the three point shot. I don't know what female player had the scoring record pre-three point shot but there were many very good scorers. However, I believe there should be two different records kept, one for pre-three point shot and one for post three point shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NCAA announced that all winter-sports athletes "who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it."

So athletes have six years to play five seasons? It reminds me of Bluto Blutarsky from Animal House:

1604069310014.png

Reaction Score
They don't use asterisks for total points scored in a career. Players who played after the three point shot was allowed have a big advantage over the ones who played before it was implemented. Pete Maravich , for example, probably would have set a record that would never be broken if he had the luxury of the three point shot. I don't know what female player had the scoring record pre-three point shot but there were many very good scorers. However, I believe there should be two different records kept, one for pre-three point shot and one for post three point shot.
Right on point about Pete Maravich, Donald. When he played at LSU for his father, Press, he was basically the only shooter on the team. At that time in college it was the Big 3, Maravich, Mount and Murphy. With the three point shot they would have needed an IBM consultant to total up his scores.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I think you're going to have a lot of coaches that are going to go, 'You're putting me in a tough spot here,'" Auriemma said. "Because now you're going to have some seniors [say], 'Hey, I want to stay.' And then you've got a coach going like, 'I wasn't planning on you staying.'

"Now what are you going to do, turn the kid out?"

I think you be honest with the kid as to what you anticipate they role being. They can decide to stay or not.

What is interesting is how that will work out. Suppose you have a solid but not spectacular high major player who is likely to lose time due to the expanded roster. Does she stay or move down to a mid-major to play her final season. If she moves does cause the mid-major players to transfer? I think that there is going to be significant reshuffling. Perhaps not at UConn, but elsewhere.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The NCAA announced that all winter-sports athletes "who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it."

So athletes have six years to play five seasons? It reminds me of Bluto Blutarsky from Animal House:

View attachment 60473

To compensate, let kids enter college after 10th grade. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To compensate, let kids enter college after 10th grade. ;)
I think it's clear the direction we're headed in. Unlimited eligibility! No more of these antiquated clocks or amateurism requirements! It'll start with a waiver for some Notre Dame player who will be granted a 6th then 7th then 8th year of eligibility. Then Marina Mabrey and Skylar Diggins will come back in their early to mid-30s to play another 4 years at Notre Dame through a multimillion-dollar deal with some shady booster that will pay them more than they're making in WNBA and overseas play combined. And so on it goes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was in deference to those who chose to opt out. It makes perfect sense given the highly volatile situation right now. There is absolutely no guarantee that a full indoor season can finish while there are over 100,000 cases and a thousand deaths every day.

Reaction Score
This was in deference to those who chose to opt out. It makes perfect sense given the highly volatile situation right now. There is absolutely no guarantee that a full indoor season can finish while there are over 100,000 cases and a thousand deaths every day.

Actually it was done to get as many players as possible to not opt out. This eliminates the very real concern that the whole thing gets cancelled before 1/1/21 with a year of eligibility wasted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom