NCAA Granting Players that missed the 2019-2020 season..... | The Boneyard

NCAA Granting Players that missed the 2019-2020 season.....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, I had to look again. During OR since. That is is a long period of time. So...this is all about transfers isn't it? So anyone that had to sit out a year is now getting a free year back. This just seems like such a stretch. The transfer rules were different 5 years ago, let it go.

While they're at it, can all the Seniors who used up their eligibility in 2020 when the Tourney was cancelled get one more year? That would be cool bringing back a bunch of 5 year vets of professional sports to just totally wreck colleges for a year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I imagine there are very few players to which this will apply.
If I'm reading this correctly, it might actually be quite a few players.

Reaction Score
Sigh........at what point does this end?

The NCAA did this to themselves with their never ending "you get a waiver and you get a waiver" without offering any explanation as to why some did or some didn't. Had the association never waivered (see what I did there) with the sit out rule they likely woudn't be in this mess.

I will never be convinced sitting out a year was a big deal for the athlete in the big picture. I get they wouldn't like it and I understand but the player had a scholarship, practiced, got the benefits of being on the team and sat with them at home contests

I figure there will be several athletes who aren't professionals who plan to try and land a roster spot somewhere this football or basketball season.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What I really don't like about this is it's ignoring players who were INJURED but not ineligible during the '20-'21 season. Now THOSE are the players deserving an extra year. There probably aren't many, but a few.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What I really don't like about this is it's ignoring players who were INJURED but not ineligible during the '20-'21 season. Now THOSE are the players deserving an extra year. There probably aren't many, but a few.

Kennedy Brown

Reaction Score
By my reading of this, Evina Westbrook - who sat out '19-20 after transferring - should get an additional year of eligibility. Crazy.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So what happens in the case of recent players who are now eligible but declared for the WNBA? I am wondering about players not making a team but had to forfeit any remaining college eligibility in order to declare. I'm guessing there will be waivers given.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now all college players are professionals, so silly amateurism rules aren't an issue. Who cares if you signed w/ a WNBA (or other professional league) team briefly?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are there some real issues the NCAA could address before collective bargaining puts them out of business? Oh wait, what's the point.

Reaction Score
At this point, with the suit forcing colleges to play players, everyone is essentially a pro. Maybe we can get all our WNBA players back. Instead of having to play in Europe, they play for Uconn then back to the W. It's time to give up on the thought of amateur collegiate sports. Doom is coming, I tell ya...doom! For colleges to really compete in a few sports, they'll have to drop many smaller ones. I'm wondering if Tara got out at the right time...

Reaction Score
A lot of these decisions have been driven by the courts. Don’t know if that’s the case for this one.

Reaction Score
I disagree. 20-21 didn't count against eligibility. Or to say another way, it used up 0 years of eligibility. Not -1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I disagree. 20-21 didn't count against eligibility. Or to say another way, it used up 0 years of eligibility. Not -1.
The math doesn't work for me. Players that missed that year due to injury got to play 4 years on the court, not 5 like everybody else that was on campus during the covid years. How is that equal?

Reaction Score
The math doesn't work for me. Players that missed that year due to injury got to play 4 years on the court, not 5 like everybody else that was on campus during the covid years. How is that equal?
And players who graduated a year earlier only got 3.75 years.
And players who started a year later only got 4.

20-21 not counting was so that players wouldn’t get stuck mid year if the season got cancelled, if they individually got sick and missed the season, or their team got sidelined bc too many players got sick. That would’ve been a mess to deal with for the ncaa and put pressure on players decisions to play knowing they could burn a whole year. It was an unprecedented year.
You can’t solve every problem.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Sigh........at what point does this end?

The NCAA did this to themselves with their never ending "you get a waiver and you get a waiver" without offering any explanation as to why some did or some didn't.
The NCAA did this by giving players a scholarship with transfer restrictions, but paying coaches and ADs $millions with ability to leave on a moments notice.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This is so freicken dumb!!! Let it go for Gods sake.

Reaction Score
chris farley Tommy Callahan GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom