NCAA Forms Working Group To Study SA Names, Images, Likeness | The Boneyard

NCAA Forms Working Group To Study SA Names, Images, Likeness

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Give me NCAA Football NOW

There is only one reason EA Sports discontinued NCAA Football, and that is the basketball game.

I'd think it'd be easier for a football game to get around the image and likeness issue with the helmet. Not so much for basketball. There are no names in either game. #10 was not Tom Brady. #10 was "#10." #7 (Drew Henson) was "#7." Anthony Thomas was "#32." They gave gamers the option to change names, but still. Rosters were not necessarily accurate, especially for freshmen and backups.

Then again, I recall getting NCAA Basketball '98 for the original PlayStation (Obviously I won the National Title with UConn). The numbers were all correct but the faces were generic and the skin tones were...well...let's just say that #34 was a couple of shades closer to Justin Perkins than how I would have programmed it.

Reaction Score
Seems like FIFA and Madden have taken over and pretty much dominate the sports gaming market. It’s more fun when the game has the actual names, numbers and likenesses of the players.

Reaction Score
Seems like FIFA and Madden have taken over and pretty much dominate the sports gaming market. It’s more fun when the game has the actual names, numbers and likenesses of the players.

NBA2K

Reaction Score
There is a discussion about athletes receiving renumeration for their name/likeliness in second half of article but throught this posturing was interesting..

>>...I just don’t think that’s the model you should implement, to pay student athletes.”

Smith also knows it might happen eventually. So here’s how he explains a world that could include colleges paying athletes -- Ohio State in his opinion shouldn’t be part of it. Smith, in an interview with cleveland.com in December, outlined a system where a new dividing line for college athletics would include those schools paying players and those that don’t. Think of it like the division between FBS football schools, which award 85 scholarships, and FCS schools, which award 63 scholarships.

“We would have to set new priorities and have a new philosophy if we were to go down that path,” Smith said, relying, as he has before, on the idea that Ohio State couldn’t support 36 sports and 1,000 varsity athletes, at it does currently, if it paid football and basketball players.

His idea?

“Let’s say the Pac-12, Big 12 and the Big Ten do similar things,” Smith said. “That’s our peer group, that’s our national championship ... So we could have a whole new model on what a national championship means."

You’ll notice he left out the SEC there, though Smith did mention non-power conferences that could align with the Big Ten.

So imagine this ... the SEC and ACC play players, and become a separate football division and play for their title. The Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12, American Athletic Conference and Mountain West continue on a path of 85 scholarships, and play for a separate title, perhaps with the MAC and Sun Belt and Conference USA folded into that group, like they are now.

Wouldn’t that mean Ohio State is no longer competing on the highest level?

“The highest level would be redefined,” Smith said.

Maybe you would think Ohio State would no longer be part of it. But Smith was talking as if proponents of the current amateur model might regard that new Big Ten division as a true amateur champion.

It’s a drastic idea, but it’s what Smith is thinking about now.<<

Reaction Score
LOL at Gene Smith. I'm sure that Buckeye Fans would allow this...

Reaction Score
LOL at the ACC paying players...they don't have the moolah...

The ACC would align with the non payers...

Reaction Score
I’m so ready to bring UConn football back to the national championship scene! Alabama going down to UConn in week 1, folllowed by Clemson week 2, and so on.

Reaction Score
Hawking does believe in alternate parallel universes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom