NCAA Div 1 Council proposes rules to eliminate limits on official visits | The Boneyard

NCAA Div 1 Council proposes rules to eliminate limits on official visits

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believe the current official visit limit for WBB prospects is 4 beginning in January of their junior year.

"If the recruiting proposal is adopted in January, prospects will no longer have a limit to the number of official visits they can make to NCAA member schools. Prospects would be limited to one official visit per school, unless there is a head coaching change after an official visit, in which case prospects would be able to complete a second official visit to the same school."

The following language addresses the number of guests whose costs (travel, transportation, etc) can be paid for on an official visit. Up to 4 guests now. It seems increasing the number of guests is probably to accommodate agents or whoever handles NIL deals for these prospects.

"Schools would be permitted to cover travel costs, transportation, meals and reasonable entertainment for up to four individuals accompanying a prospect on their official visit. Those guests could include family members, their high school or club coach, or any other individual who helps the prospect with the college decision-making process.

During unofficial visits, schools would be permitted to provide complimentary admissions to a home athletics event to prospects and up to four guests."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe the current official visit limit for WBB prospects is 4 beginning in January of their junior year.

"If the recruiting proposal is adopted in January, prospects will no longer have a limit to the number of official visits they can make to NCAA member schools. Prospects would be limited to one official visit per school, unless there is a head coaching change after an official visit, in which case prospects would be able to complete a second official visit to the same school."

Also, increasing the number of guests is probably to accommodate agents or whoever handles NIL deals for these prospects.

Schools would be permitted to cover travel costs, transportation, meals and reasonable entertainment for up to four individuals accompanying a prospect on their official visit. Those guests could include family members, their high school or club coach, or any other individual who helps the prospect with the college decision-making process.

During unofficial visits, schools would be permitted to provide complimentary admissions to a home athletics event to prospects and up to four guests.

I believe the current limit is 5 official visits to Division I & II schools, limited to one per school.
Great! :eek: This is what Geno sarcastically warned us about with NIL- agents and SA representatives will now be a part of the official visits. Can't wait!

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see the impact of these changes. Official visits can be expensive though I'm sure schools with big budgets won't mind spending the money if it helps them get recruits. I've never subscribed to the idea that a prospect who knows where she's going to school should still take and enjoy official visits because they're allowed. For those truly undecided I guess this will help.

Geno and Chris have always been very selective and work hard to get kids to commit early. Will fewer kids commit early with these changes?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believe the current limit is 5 official visits to Division I & II schools, limited to one per school.
Great! :eek: This is what Geno sarcastically warned us about with NIL- agents and SA representatives will not be a part of the official visits. Can't wait!
The limit was reduced to 4 this year for some reason.

Reaction Score

The following language addresses the number of guests whose costs (travel, transportation, etc) can be paid for on an official visit. Up to 4 guests now. It seems increasing the number of guests is probably to accommodate agents or whoever handles NIL deals for these prospects.

"Schools would be permitted to cover travel costs, transportation, meals and reasonable entertainment for up to four individuals accompanying a prospect on their official visit. Those guests could include family members, their high school or club coach, or any other individual who helps the prospect with the college decision-making process.

During unofficial visits, schools would be permitted to provide complimentary admissions to a home athletics event to prospects and up to four guests."

Perhaps I'm just having a senior day, but I'm confused. The title of this thread says "eliminate limits on official visits", but the text says the proposal is to limit visits to 1. Please help. :confused:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm just having a senior day, but I'm confused. The title of this thread says "eliminate limits on official visits", but the text says the proposal is to limit visits to 1. Please help. :confused:
You still can only have a single official visit to each school (unless there is a coaching change after your first visit), but they no longer will have limits on how many schools you can take official visits to.

So if I have a top 10 or 20...
With the old rules, I could only take official visits to four of those schools.
With the new rules, I can take official visits to all 10 or 20.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Party time! Have a cut list with 50 schools, and take an official visit to all of them. Why not? Man, athletes these days have no idea what life was like for their predecessors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Party time! Have a cut list with 50 schools, and take an official visit to all of them. Why not? Man, athletes these days have no idea what life was like for their predecessors.
That should really help with their academics their junior and senior years in high school...
Just because a prospect raises their hand and says they want to take an official visit does not mean these schools have to agree. Many schools will decline if they get the sense that a prospect is taking excessive visits. Things will change very little for UCONN, because UCONN was very selective with official visits to begin with. UCONN official visits have always been about the prospect and the parents and I can easily envision Geno saying no to a prospect that wants to bring parents (2) + AAU or HS Coach (3) + agent/ NIL like representation (4) as part of the official visit. I honestly can't believe NCAA is allowing this.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just because a prospect raises their hand and says they want to take an official visit does not mean these schools have to agree. Many schools will decline if they get the sense that a prospect is taking excessive visits. Things will change very little for UCONN, because UCONN was very selective with official visits to begin with. UCONN official visits have always been about the prospect and the parents and I can easily envision Geno saying no to a prospect that wants to bring parents (2) + AAU or HS Coach (3) + agent/ NIL like representation (4) as part of the official visit. I honestly can't believe NCAA is allowing this.
Many coaches aren't like Geno. Some cast a wide net in recruiting. I was being kind silly with the list of 50 schools, but you don't think some players are gonna end up visiting 10 or more schools? I do. Some are already visiting a bunch of schools on unofficials on their own dime, why not get somebody else to pay for it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Many coaches aren't like Geno. Some cast a wide net in recruiting. I was being kind silly with the list of 50 schools, but you don't think some players are gonna end up visiting 10 or more schools? I do. Some are already visiting a bunch of schools on unofficials on their own dime, why not get somebody else to pay for it.
No I don't. I agree many players end up "unofficially" visiting 10 or more schools anyway because of proximity, AAU travel, family vacations etc. Let me flip this around: There is always that awkward subject during the recruiting visit that starts like this: "Where else are you considering? " If a prospect tells a school they have already been on 5 paid official visits is that school going to fork out money to be paid visit #6 or #7, or #8...?. All of these schools have a limited budget and WBB for the vast majority is not a priority. (Not that I agree with this BTW)
There is also the practical matter of the calendar in which official visits can start in early April and kids have to return to HS by early Sept and early signing period Mid-November. It is almost impossible to fit 1/2 dozen quality visits in given most of the elite prospects are playing AAU or USA basketball during a significant part of that summer and the recruiting no contact/shutdown periods currently imposed by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
On the bolded line I agree with you when it comes to football recruiting which is in a world of it's own. But I don't expect it to be as prevalent in BB, especially WBB. The spending discrepancies between MBB and WBB programs at many schools is still large. See the article from a year ago below. Because of this here are a couple of things to consider about WBB:
1. Obviously the coaches control all visits. The kids don't request official visits, thy have to be invited.
2. The stronger the program, the more carefully the staffs prioritize their recruits. They are very aware of their budgets and don't spend big money on "maybe's". The majority of invites for OVs go to only the very top priorities or to kids that have already verbally committed.
I won't speculate about MBB recruiting because of what a documented quagmire that is but I believe the WBB programs are much more careful about how they spend their "budgeted" money.

College Hoops Spending Gap Prevails as Women Trail in Travel and Meals

Reaction Score
Just speculation but this change may have been intended to help 2nd tier schools that probably hear "I'd like to visit but I'm only allowed 4" all the time from recruits. The elite schools dominate the OV schedules of elite players. Those 2nd tier schools may be complaining that "we can't sign any elite recruits because we can't get them here to listen to our pitch".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom