NCAA Courant Article - Chief’s Briefs - Special Edition | The Boneyard

NCAA Courant Article - Chief’s Briefs - Special Edition

C

Chief00

I don’t want to rediscuss all that has been discussed but today’s Courant article left me with three impressions:
1) Will the NCAA have to justify its investment of 100’s of hours of time and resources and maybe hit UConn harder than some expect? They spent lots of time on UNC and did nothing but find a loophole - I believe though that’s the exception.
2) What issues the school considers for cause and what violations the NCAA hits us with - Will they be similar or different in some respects - Overlap / Underlap?
3) Impact on Recruiting - Depends on sanctions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don’t want to rediscuss all that has been discussed but today’s Courant article left me with three impressions:
1) Will the NCAA have to justify its investment of 100’s of hours of time and resources and maybe hit UConn harder than some expect? They spent lots of time on UNC and did nothing but find a loophole - I believe though that’s the exception.
2) What issues the school considers for cause and what violations the NCAA hits us with - Will they be similar or different in some respects - Overlap / Underlap?
1) Death penalty
2) Underlap
3) Doomed

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Weak. If this is all you can provide while the gag order is in effect...............just don't.

C

Chief00

D48E4C25-F833-40D5-8B37-0B81D4668723.jpeg
Please explain to us casuals the difference between overlap and underlap. I have 3 college degrees and I still don’t know what you’re talking about
Overlap would be that the violations the NCAA identified are the same ones UConn is using for cause. Of course, there will be some overlap due to self reporting.
Underlap is when there is a gap and no overlap.

Reaction Score
View attachment 33725
Overlap would be that the violations the NCAA identified are the same ones UConn is using for cause. Of course, there will be some overlap due to self reporting.
Underlap is when there is a gap and no overlap.

Ok....except literally every other definition from real dictionary sites say that “underlap” is what you’d call the portion of something that is being overlapped. You do realize that “urban dictionary” isn’t a real dictionary, right? Does Chief hang wallpaper for a living?

Word forms: ˌunderˈlapped or ˌunderˈlapping
to lie or extend partly under (something)

Reaction Score
Let’s compare..

1. UNC engages in systematic academic fraud involving student-athletes... no NCAA punishment.

2. Baylor engaged massive sexual assault scandal and cover-up...no NCAA punishment

3. Michigan State engaged in systematic moleststion of atheletes ... no NCAA punishment

4. Duke, UNC, Arizona, etc.. named in FBI investigation involving illegal recruiting payments... still playing

5. Maryland Football kills a player from overwork in a toxic culture of humiliation and intimidation... season opening soon

6. UConn BB headcoach allowed former basketball friends too close to basketball players alleged to have given advice and a few pointers ... major investigation pending

I dislike KO as a coach, believe he should have been fired for cause based on his contract terms and no violation language, but NCAA is so transparently corrupt and offcourse in its mission, it would be comical if it weren’t so serious.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Mark Emmert is the most corrupt president the NCAA has ever had, and there are no close seconds. That's why the blue bloods love him. They all have a perpetual get out of jail free card from this clown.

C

Chief00

Ok....except literally every other definition from real dictionary sites say that “underlap” is what you’d call the portion of something that is being overlapped. You do realize that “urban dictionary” isn’t a real dictionary, right? Does Chief hang wallpaper for a living?

Word forms: ˌunderˈlapped or ˌunderˈlapping
to lie or extend partly under (something)
Suggest you put the Urban Dictionary in your rotation. Some posters wonder how Chief relates across demographics, which they limit themselves to just a slice of. The Urban Dictionary has solved more than one mystery for me.
No, Chief doesn’t hang wall paper for a living. I did house painting during the summer to pay my way through college - accomplished the objective but never painted again.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Mark Emmert is the most corrupt president the NCAA has ever had, and there are no close seconds. That's why the blue bloods love him. They all have a perpetual get out of jail free card from this clown.
Only one blueblood without the card - UCONN

Reaction Score
Chief please don’t tease us with your briefs... still almost 3 months before the season starts

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Suggest you put the Urban Dictionary in your rotation. Some posters wonder how Chief relates across demographics, which they limit themselves to just a slice of. The Urban Dictionary has solved more than one mystery for me.
No, Chief doesn’t hang wall paper for a living. I did house painting during the summer to pay my way through college - accomplished the objective but never painted again.

This is an all-time Chief post. Instant classic.

Visions of Chief pulling up the urban dictionary while hangin’ with Bunky and the boys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

@August_West while it's been done a lot lately, this is great copy-pasta

C

Chief00

Visions of Chief pulling up the urban dictionary while hangin’ with Bunky and the boys.

Hey - Whatever works!

Reaction Score
Let’s compare..

1. UNC engages in systematic academic fraud involving student-athletes... no NCAA punishment.

2. Baylor engaged massive sexual assault scandal and cover-up...no NCAA punishment

3. Michigan State engaged in systematic moleststion of atheletes ... no NCAA punishment

4. Duke, UNC, Arizona, etc.. named in FBI investigation involving illegal recruiting payments... still playing

5. Maryland Football kills a player from overwork in a toxic culture of humiliation and intimidation... season opening soon

6. UConn BB headcoach allowed former basketball friends too close to basketball players alleged to have given advice and a few pointers ... major investigation pending

I dislike KO as a coach, believe he should have been fired for cause based on his contract terms and no violation language, but NCAA is so transparently corrupt and offcourse in its mission, it would be comical if it weren’t so serious.
This should be UConn’s reply.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Let’s compare..

Seriously. How is UNC the exception when all "P5 (In quotes because "p5" is a football conference designation, not basketball)" program investigations result is nothing more than a finger wag?

Reaction Score
Seriously H25, UNC is different for the very reason you state. It was ACADEMIC Fraud. Some athletes took advantage but it was not anything the athletic department controlled or organized. And for many reasons UNC allowed credit for the courses to stand. In the academic arena the one thing that would cause all faculty to revolt against athletics at virtually every institution would be for the NCAA to stick its nose into course content. Because once the NCAA decides to override the university on whether to allow credit for a course it becomes a very slippery slope. I don’t like the NCAA decision on UNC. I hate what UNC did and what they got away with. None the less it was the absolute right one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Seriously H25, UNC is different for the very reason you state. It was ACADEMIC Fraud. Some athletes took advantage but it was not anything the athletic department controlled or organized. And for many reasons UNC allowed credit for the courses to stand. In the academic arena the one thing that would cause all faculty to revolt against athletics at virtually every institution would be for the NCAA to stick its nose into course content. Because once the NCAA decides to override the university on whether to allow credit for a course it becomes a very slippery slope. I don’t like the NCAA decision on UNC. I hate what UNC did and what they got away with. None the less it was the absolute right one.
By that logic, Michigan State is not being punished because Larry Nassar had the opportunity to inappropriately touch non-Spartan athletes?

Edit: Know what? That is probably the case. In the Good Book of NCAA infractions (As the Penn State scandal showed), there probably isn't a punishment for a university affiliate going all Bill-Cosby on 16 year old girls and/or college students.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is a criminal matter and should be treated as such. People at Michigan State who didn’t protect women from that bastard should be fired and if criminally negligent prosecuted. But not everything is the NCAA’s business. You don’t go after a bank robber by having the zoning board issue a cease and desist order. You don’t go after a criminal using NCAA rules. Same thing applies to Penn State really. Those were criminal acts for which several people went to jail. As they should have. But it wasn’t an NCAA matter. The alleged basketball payoff on the other hand might be both. Look at it this way. If Coach Hurley robs a bank on his way home some night, would the NCAA have jurisdiction? Even if he used his office in Gampel to plan it, it still isn’t an NCAA matter. Unless you think the NCAA should penalize Rutgers because some players committed credit card fraud.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Chief slipped into first person toward the end there — kind of threw Purple Stein off.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom