NCAA.com article: These 3 UConn women's basketball players are peaking at the right time | The Boneyard

NCAA.com article: These 3 UConn women's basketball players are peaking at the right time

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
These 3 UConn women's basketball players are peaking at the right time | NCAA.com

The UConn women's basketball team knows that it needs to focus on the remaining conference games, but with postseason play around the corner, coach Geno Auriemma can't help but realize the importance three of his players will hold.​
Megan Walker, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa have made strides this season, especially in the past month. In the remaining regular season games, starting with Memphis on Wednesday night, Auriemma will try to keep bringing them along at a steady pace because he knows they will play critical roles in the NCAA Tournament.​
"Postseason play, which is all we're talking about really, isn't necessarily about your stars," Auriemma said. "Postseason play is what are your other players going to do? Everyone has certain key players who are pretty much going to play well in the postseason because they generally do. What separates the winners from the losers is what some of the other players contribute. ..."​

Reaction Score
These 3 UConn women's basketball players are peaking at the right time | NCAA.com

The UConn women's basketball team knows that it needs to focus on the remaining conference games, but with postseason play around the corner, coach Geno Auriemma can't help but realize the importance three of his players will hold.​
Megan Walker, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa have made strides this season, especially in the past month. In the remaining regular season games, starting with Memphis on Wednesday night, Auriemma will try to keep bringing them along at a steady pace because he knows they will play critical roles in the NCAA Tournament.​
"Postseason play, which is all we're talking about really, isn't necessarily about your stars," Auriemma said. "Postseason play is what are your other players going to do? Everyone has certain key players who are pretty much going to play well in the postseason because they generally do. What separates the winners from the losers is what some of the other players contribute. ..."​
Thanks--
Very very good coaches bring their players along so they are peaking in March. A great coach has them peak in late March for 6 games. Geno has been the master of Peaking --for his STARS and the support/role players. This team MAYBE has a role player, but I'm sure Geno sees 7 or 8 necessary players to win it all, led by 2.

I can't remember a season when the top players were doing so much "in game coaching". It appears to be working; Geno isn't the bad guy, and Lou and Phee are offering suggestions at the moment of the missed plays or passes or defensive assignment--you have to love that.

Reaction Score
Thanks--
Very very good coaches bring their players along so they are peaking in March. A great coach has them peak in late March for 6 games. Geno has been the master of Peaking --for his STARS and the support/role players. This team MAYBE has a role player, but I'm sure Geno sees 7 or 8 necessary players to win it all, led by 2.

I can't remember a season when the top players were doing so much "in game coaching". It appears to be working; Geno isn't the bad guy, and Lou and Phee are offering suggestions at the moment of the missed plays or passes or defensive assignment--you have to love that.

Isn't it the case BV that in the "big" games to come Geno is only going to play his starters? During the early games of the NCAAs expect a bunch of subs, but when the heavyweights clash it'll be the starting 5 + maybe ONO (out of some needed height). We have no points sitting on the bench and no blockers and/or rebounders (think Kiah Stokes) there either. The subs should bring their pom-poms; they are likely to be spectators. Anyway, that's the history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't it the case BV that in the "big" games to come Geno is only going to play his starters? During the early games of the NCAAs expect a bunch of subs, but when the heavyweights clash it'll be the starting 5 + maybe ONO (out of some needed height). We have no points sitting on the bench and no blockers and/or rebounders (think Kiah Stokes) there either. The subs should bring their pom-poms; they are likely to be spectators. Anyway, that's the history.
I'd like to see Kiah Stokes on This Team. No argument with all you say; a slightly different angle of approach (flying expression).
YOU of course are correct; Geno historically has used fewer than 7 or 8 and the 5 mostly in the tough games of the NCAA. That's a reality.\
When coaching in must wins--only a fool would depart from those that brought him there. That's not unusual for WBB coaches. Some use more that's true, but few get to the goal (NC).
I believe Geno is PEAKING this 7 or 8 knowing foul and accidents may reduce his 5. Again, he ain't no fool.
My personal belief is that a coach is carrying too many if when needed he can't call on Juniors or Seniors to provide near seamless minutes.

Reaction Score
I like the article, but not the headline. "Peaking" means they are approaching the peak of their abilities and will get no better. "Improving" would be a much more appropriate word.
And they are indeed improving, but they will (and must) continue to improve as they move into starting roles over the next few years.
I like to imagine that ONO can be our next Tina Charles. With the help of Geno and staff, it is possible.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another player may be peaking, or at least improving if you believe the coach.

UConn also got a lift off the bench from sophomore guard Mikayla Coombs, who had a career high four steals in 21 minutes against Memphis while matching her best of three assists.

“Mikayla has been working really, really hard,” Auriemma said. “I’m trying to get her to embrace a particular role on our team that she can really help us with. It doesn’t have to include scoring. She made a couple great defensive plays. She’s athletic and she can help us, She’s getting better every day.

Reaction Score
Ono would give the height and Coombs the lock-down defender a la Faris/Nurse that UConn has been lacking. She has blazing speed and quickness, can break down a defense by driving into the paint and seems to be a good ball-handler,

She could turn out to be the biggest surprise this year and a good omen for next year,

Moet of all, I feel really good for her and the other bench players. They all should feel proud of how they have grown this year,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom