NCAA Coaches List the Recruiting Red Flags | The Boneyard

NCAA Coaches List the Recruiting Red Flags

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seen this kind of list before and while football specific here it is relevant for every sport and every level and should be pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
I've seen most of these, and heard Geno and CD specifically talk about many of them as being things that concern them about recruits. Indicative of this is Geno's famous statement to Dee's Mother (who was completely against Dee coming to UConn), <paraphrasing> "I'm not recruiting you, I'm recruiting your Daughter".

I disagree somewhat with #6, "Prospects overly concerned with how many other guys are being recruited at their position and how many guys are on the depth chart currently". As a recruit, why would I come to your school if I am a Wing and you have 6-7 wings on your roster? This was the reason EDD gave for taking TN out of the running; they already had four people playing her position, so she couldn't understand how she was going to fit in with their scheme. However, if a recruit is looking to start Day 1 and play 40 minutes a game, yeah that could be a sign of a problem.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's my quibble/qualifier/side note: all of the coaches comments seemed to be from D2 and D3 schools. My snarky comment would be "based on the numerous headlines I see from Major D1 schools, they ignore many of these red flags, if not all of them. Maybe that's why D2 and D3 programs have a higher post college success rate..."

Reaction Score
I've seen most of these, and heard Geno and CD specifically talk about many of them as being things that concern them about recruits. Indicative of this is Geno's famous statement to Dee's Mother (who was completely against Dee coming to UConn), <paraphrasing> "I'm not recruiting you, I'm recruiting your Daughter".

I disagree somewhat with #6, "Prospects overly concerned with how many other guys are being recruited at their position and how many guys are on the depth chart currently". As a recruit, why would I come to your school if I am a Wing and you have 6-7 wings on your roster? This was the reason EDD gave for taking TN out of the running; they already had four people playing her position, so she couldn't understand how she was going to fit in with their scheme. However, if a recruit is looking to start Day 1 and play 40 minutes a game, yeah that could be a sign of a problem.

Perhaps that one really is more football specific as football teams use multiple players at their positions..........other then quarterback and kickers I suppose

Reaction Score
Thought the "additional red flags" were good too:

Coaches also shared the following red flags worth sharing:

"Kids that have never had to compete for a starting job”

“Prospect who calls you by your first name”

“Prospects that come to campus smelling like marijuana”

“When he only brings his girlfriend on his recruiting visit"

“A kid that has transferred multiple times.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors