NC State | The Boneyard

NC State

Reaction Score
I think this is one of the more interesting programs in the country next year going into next season.

The Pack were the best team in the ACC this year and weathered injuries to finish 22-3 with what I considered to be a mild upset loss to Indiana in the NCAAT.

All three seniors elected to return to the squad and they have added Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes form the portal. Their recruiting class includes a 5'9 CG in Aziah James (#39 ESPN), 6'5 P Sophia Hart (#64 ESPN) and a local product three star guard.

Per Massey, the Pack rated #10 (#11 Offense/#27 Defense). The Defense is a little low to get where they want to go as the Final Four featured Massey's #1,#2, #3, and #5 Defenses with #4 Baylor having lost to UCONN in the E8.

NC State featured an All America Post surrounded by four shooters who moved the ball quite well. The starters from three shot 35%/47%/37%/42% (Cunnane was at 39% herself).

Jada Boyd brought some production and size off the bench as a sixth man.

To my mind, State adds perhaps the most dynamic player in the portal in Diamond Johnson of Rutgers who averaged nearly 18pts/4 rebs/2.5 assists on a .506/.450/.897 shooting line as a Freshman. Dawn Staley took to twitter over her omission from the MCD AA game and was proven correct. However at 5'5 it will be difficult to play along returning starter Raina Perez who lists at 5'4. At a minimum, State should be making a pretty big improvement to the rotation here.

Guard Madison Hayes has good size at 6'0 and early returns suggest she will be strong shooter and rebounder.

Add another combo guard into the mix in the freshman James and what looks like a potential true backup in the post in Hart and the Pack should be a good bit deeper and possibly a bit better defensively. I'm not sure what last season's reserves are expected to do on the improvement curve, but this team looks better than last year's version. Does Diamond Johnson elevate them to the next level?

Reaction Score
It’s a similar story to SC and UConn - tons of talent, but not enough minutes to go around. The reason NCST isn’t mentioned with these two? The Pack is largely unproven at the NCAAT level.

Cunane is possibly the best offensive post in the nation, but her rebounding and defensive numbers aren’t anything to jump at. That’s a missing piece for State in my opinion.

Reaction Score
It’s a similar story to SC and UConn - tons of talent, but not enough minutes to go around. The reason NCST isn’t mentioned with these two? The Pack is largely unproven at the NCAAT level.

Cunane is possibly the best offensive post in the nation, but her rebounding and defensive numbers aren’t anything to jump at. That’s a missing piece for State in my opinion.

I'm not sure how good the incoming post is, but Cunane could maybe play forward with her range.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I agree NC State's loss to Indiana was a mild upset, but remember NC State was without Kayla Jones, who was arguably their second best player. Because NC State basically had 6 starters all year they were able to adjust, but when you're talking about a 3-point loss in the Sweet 16, not hard to think Jones would have made a difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom