NBCSports AAC Preview | The Boneyard

NBCSports AAC Preview

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Looking at these teams hurt my eyes

It's no Big East, but just like in AAC football, the top and middle aren't bad at all, it's just the dregs at the bottom that kill it. Ourselves included in that for football.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Either UCF is wildly overrated or the league is just down this season.
I have a hard time believing Wichita, Cinci and Houston will drop that much and UCF will be that much better, no matter how many seniors the former 3 lost.

Its also possible that 1-8 is a huge tossup.

Reaction Score
I can't see Wichita finishing above us. But conversely, I could see Temple or Memphis if we struggle with consistency or picking up Hurley's systems.

Reaction Score
Have we ever lost to UCF since we joined the AAC?

Reaction Score
I can't see Wichita finishing above us. But conversely, I could see Temple or Memphis if we struggle with consistency or picking up Hurley's systems.
Maybe, those are both wild card teams. People forget, but Jeremiah Martin may be the best returning player in the conference. Personally, I'm fading Temple a bit because I don't like the idea of them all knowing it's Dunphy's last year. They have an underrated level of talent though.

I would still be surprised if it isn't Cincy and Houston at the top (ignoring UConn). I think UCF will fall more into the Wichita and SMU group.

Reaction Score
IF (big if, but still) Alterique Gilbert stays healthy, and is playing 25 to 32 minutes per game once conference season rolls around, and one of the big men (Cobb, Carlton or Yakwe) prove to be reliable game in and game out, I guarantee (and I am not one to give guarantees) we finish better than 6th.

Our back court is being significantly underrated nationally and certainly when compared to any other back court in our conference, plain and simple. We have a combination of talent and depth that is flat out better than everyone else in the AAC.

And I do believe that this coaching staff will do a significantly better job of maximizing the strengths of this group of players as compared to the previous staff.

Reaction Score
Either UCF is wildly overrated or the league is just down this season.
I have a hard time believing Wichita, Cinci and Houston will drop that much and UCF will be that much better, no matter how many seniors the former 3 lost.

Its also possible that 1-8 is a huge tossup.
UCF fits the Texas Tech template from last year. No respect nationally (not ranked)...and then E8. UCF will be in contention to be ranked top 3 KP in defense this year if healthy. Last year 8 and decimated by injuries.

Central Florida I think is primed to have a big year. Injuries are part of the game but this year they have more depth up front to withstand some bumps and bruises. The opening game vs Rider will be interesting because Rider is a potential cinderella in March.

Reaction Score
UCF fits the Texas Tech template from last year. No respect nationally (not ranked)...and then E8. UCF will be in contention to be ranked top 3 KP in defense this year if healthy. Last year 8 and decimated by injuries.

Central Florida I think is primed to have a big year. Injuries are part of the game but this year they have more depth up front to withstand some bumps and bruises. The opening game vs Rider will be interesting because Rider is a potential cinderella in March.
The difference is that Chris Beard is a young star coach and was great even at UALR. Dawkins was hit or miss at Stanford (not that they have it easy in the PAC 12 recruiting wise, then again nor does UCF). His son is going to be a big addition. We'll see if Tacko and Taylor can stay on the court.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe, those are both wild card teams. People forget, but Jeremiah Martin may be the best returning player in the conference. Personally, I'm fading Temple a bit because I don't like the idea of them all knowing it's Dunphy's last year. They have an underrated level of talent though.

I would still be surprised if it isn't Cincy and Houston at the top (ignoring UConn). I think UCF will fall more into the Wichita and SMU group.

Aside from the argument that they always finish top 2, what is so compelling about Cinci this year? They have a good Sophomore scorer in Cumberland and....what?

This whole league is a complete crapshoot. Lots of question marks, and really only UCF and maybe Memphis that have more talent than UConn. UCF lacks depth and Memphis lacks experience.

Reaction Score
We’re going to finish in the top 3, we might even win the league. Our backcourt, when healthy, should be as good as any in the country. This team will surprise everyone with its talented guards dominating and a fairly versatile front court holding its own. If Hurley can get them to rebound like an average team and work hard on the boards, we’ll be worlds better than last year.

Reaction Score
I m shocked they have us finishing 6th. I wud say absolute worst finishing 4th. Especially With the conference being down this year - Jesus if Cincy and Houston were like they were last year where would they have us preseason ranked ? 10th? I cud see if Adams didn’t come back for his senior season and Gilbert was still recovering , but my god how could you pick us sixth - unless u are 100% basing it off last season. And we lost nobody of importance from last year - Except people that were hurting us : onawurah, ollie, Anderson.

Reaction Score
Aside from the argument that they always finish top 2, what is so compelling about Cinci this year? They have a good Sophomore scorer in Cumberland and....what?

This whole league is a complete crapshoot. Lots of question marks, and really only UCF and maybe Memphis that have more talent than UConn. UCF lacks depth and Memphis lacks experience.
A big reason why is Rashawn Fredericks. He was a JUCO beast 6'6 wing that should make an immediate impact. And help offset Evans leaving.

Cumberland is good, Broome is a good PG, Justin Jennifer is an overlooked PG, Tre Scott is a good defensive/boards PF, and Moore and Williams will be a year older.

Their late reclass Prince Gillam is a PF who average 17.5 and 10 in the EYBL this summer. That kid has a lot of potential too. We'll see if they redshirt him or not but he is a tank with soft touch.

I don't think Cincy will be close to as good as they were last year, but I don't think anyone else in the conference will either.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its going to be a dogfight for the top 5 and I honestly think UConn will be among those teams
Not sold on UCF as #1 or WSU at #5 -
Going to be interesting to see if Memphis can parlay the young talent and a completely unproven coach
Can Houston survive the loss of it's PG and heart of the team? He won so many games for them
SMU? nah
Cinci will always be tough

Reaction Score
I think people are overlooking Houston. Sure they lose Gray and Davis who were very good, but Robinson/other Davis/Jarreau/Brooks/Hinton is at worst the second deepest backcourt in the conference and plenty capable. If they can find a couple bigs to defend and rebound I think they're the team to beat. The conference is deep but is it great at the top? I guess time will tell on that.

Reaction Score
IF (big if, but still) Alterique Gilbert stays healthy, and is playing 25 to 32 minutes per game once conference season rolls around, and one of the big men (Cobb, Carlton or Yakwe) prove to be reliable game in and game out, I guarantee (and I am not one to give guarantees) we finish better than 6th.

If that happens, we will be a tournament team.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
1-8 are very good teams/programs, but the fall off of 9-12 is just awful.

Reaction Score
1-8 are very good teams/programs, but the fall off of 9-12 is just awful.
Honestly, for as long as we are in the AAC, I wish they would replace one of those programs with UMass.

Reaction Score
Honestly, for as long as we are in the AAC, I wish they would replace one of those programs with UMass.

UMass in & ECU out
URI in & Tulane out

I'd go as far as remove USF and make a run at Dayton

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44