NBC Sports Has the Hurley Hire as the #1a Hire of the Offseason | The Boneyard

NBC Sports Has the Hurley Hire as the #1a Hire of the Offseason

Reaction Score
What he’s saying is that we’ll be a top 3 team in the AAC and won’t win any more titles

True. I'm hoping his assessement is off by a mile but at least he agrees the hire was tied for the best hire in the country.

The more I read about folks' opinon of Hurley the more excited I get.

Reaction Score
What he’s saying is that we’ll be a top 3 team in the AAC and won’t win any more titles
I'll take that (to start). Championships take time, we are experts on that subject. But re-building our program to 25 win seasons and Conference domination is a great goal. Hurley has some work to do, but there is no way we can talk National Championship(s) right now.

Just glad to be optimistic again, and to get back to continual winning seasons and conference domination. That builds interest (recruits), brings back the casual fans and the national media attention. If that happens I'm happy.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Rob Dauster. He is a CT native. He talked a good amount about UConn on his podcast this past year.

Reaction Score
I don’t expect UConn to once again because a top 5-10 program in college basketball

R.I.P. editing.

Very fair overall, though. Gun to the head, I don't think many, even on this board, would bet on us being a top 5-10 program, at least until we leave the AAC. But I'm not dismissive of the possibility, either.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If he builds an environment where players are developed "NBA ready" they (NC's) will come. I think he admired JC a great deal. I am very excited though I expect this is going to take some time.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If he builds an environment where players are developed "NBA ready" they (NC's) will come. I think he admired JC a great deal. I am very excited though I expect this is going to take some time.
This thing can be rebuilt much sooner rather than later if the staff hits on some of their main 2019 targets.

pj

Reaction Score
We do have the advantage of a great recruiting area (New England, NY, New Jersey) with not much local competition. If Hurley can be as good as Jim Calhoun or Jay Wright, we can be a top 5-10 program despite the conference.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
We do have the advantage of a great recruiting area (New England, NY, New Jersey) with not much local competition. If Hurley can be as good as Jim Calhoun or Jay Wright, we can be a top 5-10 program despite the conference.
we have the advantage of one of the best recruiting areas, but a major disadvantage with trying to get kids to want to play ECU, Tulane, USF, etc...

Reaction Score
I don’t expect UConn to once again because a top 5-10 program in college basketball

R.I.P. editing.

Very fair overall, though. Gun to the head, I don't think many, even on this board, would bet on us being a top 5-10 program, at least until we leave the AAC. But I'm not dismissive of the possibility, either.

I would consider Gonzaga to be a Top 10 program right now, and their conference is much worse than ours.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Doubt he's gonna be as great as one of the top 5 coaches ever and an HOFer, nor as one of, if not the, best coach currently in MCBB and a future HOFer.

We just need him to be very good, not all-time.

Reaction Score
I would consider Gonzaga to be a Top 10 program right now, and their conference is much worse than ours.

I think that kind of proves my point. They're the only non-p5/big east program that can be described that way. If everything goes right, yes, UConn can be at that level or even better. But the chances are more likely than not that they'll settle into that next tier.

Reaction Score
I think that kind of proves my point. They're the only non-p5/big east program that can be described that way. If everything goes right, yes, UConn can be at that level or even better. But the chances are more likely than not that they'll settle into that next tier.

Well, to be fair, so can only 9 other programs.

My point is their conference doesn't hold them back. Ours doesn't either. Over the last 4 years, we have been a bigger detriment to the conference than the other way around.

pj

Reaction Score
Doubt he's gonna be as great as one of the top 5 coaches ever and an HOFer, nor as one of, if not the, best coach currently in MCBB and a future HOFer.

We just need him to be very good, not all-time.

Six active college coaches -- Bill Self, Tom Izzo, John Calipari, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski -- are in the Hall of Fame; Jay Wright probably will be; Larry Brown and Rick Pitino were very recently. So that's 6-9 HoF caliber coaches active at any one time. If you want to be a top 5-10 program, and you are in a less attractive conference, I think you're going to need a top 5 coach. That means a future Hall of Famer.

Reaction Score
Six active college coaches -- Bill Self, Tom Izzo, John Calipari, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski -- are in the Hall of Fame; Jay Wright probably will be; Larry Brown and Rick Pitino were very recently. So that's 6-9 HoF caliber coaches active at any one time. If you want to be a top 5-10 program, and you are in a less attractive conference, I think you're going to need a top 5 coach. That means a future Hall of Famer.

What about Gregg Marshall?

Doubtful (at this point) he's a HOF guy, but he had WSU in the Top 10 from the mediocre MVC.

Reaction Score

My point is their conference doesn't hold them back. Ours doesn't either. Over the last 4 years, we have been a bigger detriment to the conference than the other way around.

Eh, these things tend to deceive in short samples. How do we know their conference isn't holding them back? Because they've been good? I'm sure you can see the flaw in that logic. Similarly, while I don't think anyone uses the conference as an excuse for our poor play recently, it's hard to know how things would be different in another conference.

The coach is the most important thing. But that doesn't make the conference unimportant. We had poor coaching and we were going to be bad regardless of the conference, in all likelihood. The reverse is true of Gonzaga. Where this stuff really matters, obviously, is in recruiting. This is basketball - one or two recruits every couple years can swing the fortunes of a programs. If that means one recruit every couple years commits because of the conference, that can matter.

Reaction Score

The conference is not a stake to the heart. It's more a serious cancer prognosis. We can beat it, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'm aware of all of that. The odds Hurley is mentioned in that company are not at all high. Hopefully he's very good in the end.

Reaction Score
How many people would actually agree on what teams are the top 10 in college basketball . Good chance most would agree on 5 maybe 6 . A couple years ago UConn would have been among them and Nova would not have been. Florida after 2 in a row was. Now they are not.

Is Michigan St? Will they still be when Izzy is gone.
Is Nova if JW leaves?.
Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and NC are the teams that roll off most people’s tongue.
Indiana UCLA not anymore , for now at least.

Agreed UConn will have a harder road because of the conference but they also have a lot going for them. I think Hurley will have us in the mix in short order.
Top 4 no but the rest of the slots are a rotating door brother

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom